scribbs

Debutant
Mar 22, 2013
UK
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Huddersfield Giants
I never saw him play by a long way so can only go off what I've heard...

I think it's said he revolutionised the position of ruck by just being a whole lot more active. It was said that before him (and for many ruckman after him), their role was to take a hit out, then basically move back and just patrol behind the play, getting in the way of opposition forwards and cleaning up where possible.

I think Farmer was one of the first to start involving himself in the play more, using his athleticism to play a little more like a follower.

He also was one of the first to regularly employ handball as an offensive weapon, gathering the footy and firing it off to teammates in space with his handballs (which were said to travel up to 50m).

Just based on what I've read. Sam Newman is a good one to hear speak on him, rates him as the best player he's ever seen.

From what I've heard he was massively ahead of his time. One of those players along with Matthews, Bunton and Coleman that you selfishly wish played in this area of professionalism to see what they could've achieved.

I saw him play over 100 games when he returned to WA and captain-coached West Perth. He was well over 30 at the time but he was still the best Ruckman in the competition. He would sit on the shoulders of the opposing Ruck and fire out a handball to the Rover before he had hit the ground. He was cat-like.

I don't know about 50m handballs but 35m was quite often done by Polly and they invariably hit there target.

There have been lots of great Ruckman but none better than Polly in my opinion.

From recollection he is a member of East Perth, WA and AFL Hall of Fame as well as East Perth, Geelong, aboriginal team of century as well as I would suspect the AFL team of the century.

I remember seeing Farmer play in a state game after he had returned to WA. He was chosen (I think) as a Centre Half Back, but the W A rucks (Dempsey and Burton) were getting beaten by the Victorian rucks (Gary Dempsey and John Newman) and he moved into the ruck, got the W A team a fair share of the ball and they were very unlucky to lose by a single goal. don't know how old he was at the time, but I would think that he was a lot older than his two opponents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember seeing Farmer play in a state game after he had returned to WA. He was chosen (I think) as a Centre Half Back, but the W A rucks (Dempsey and Burton) were getting beaten by the Victorian rucks (Gary Dempsey and John Newman) and he moved into the ruck, got the W A team a fair share of the ball and they were very unlucky to lose by a single goal. don't know how old he was at the time, but I would think that he was a lot older than his two opponents.

Sounds like the WA vs VIC game at the MCG in 1970 with Polly as Captain/Coach. Second last season of footy.

Here's the Age's report on the match.

Sounds like the WA vs VIC game at the MCG in 1970 with Polly as Captain/Coach. Second last season of footy.

Here's the Age's report on the match.

Interesting read in that article.

No interchange rotations, 19th & 20th men were permanent replacements.

Two of the best for WA, were to pass away at a young age. Cam Blakemore & Greg Brehaut.

Interesting read in that article.

No interchange rotations, 19th & 20th men were permanent replacements.

Two of the best for WA, were to pass away at a young age. Cam Blakemore & Greg Brehaut.

So true both those guys were champions in the truest sense of the word.

I was at the G that day & my lasting memory was of a shot for goal late in day by Peter Burton (father of Matthew Spider Burton) - he missed a simple shot that he would normally slot for Subi.

I saw him play over 100 games when he returned to WA and captain-coached West Perth. He was well over 30 at the time but he was still the best Ruckman in the competition. He would sit on the shoulders of the opposing Ruck and fire out a handball to the Rover before he had hit the ground. He was cat-like.

I don't know about 50m handballs but 35m was quite often done by Polly and they invariably hit there target.

There have been lots of great Ruckman but none better than Polly in my opinion.

what surprises me, is polly's lack of height given his position as ruck. He must have had an amazing leap or players were just shorter back then

what surprises me, is polly's lack of height given his position as ruck. He must have had an amazing leap or players were just shorter back then

Polly regularly leapt early & had an ability to hang in the air. I've not seen any other ruckman do what he did which coupled with game changing handball made for his claims to be one of the best ever.

One of his opponents from East Fremantle Jack Clark argued what Farmer did was outside the laws of the game but the umpies never agreed. Clark himself was a 100% champ as his 4 x All Australian selections testify.
http://www.wafootballhalloffame.com.au/inductees/2197-johnjack-clarke

Last edited:

i remember listening to this game on the radio and so excited as the Gropers kept attacking in the last quarter. The commentators called Dempsey marking well into our attack on a number of occasions

unfortunately, it was not Bill.

Polly regularly leapt early & had an ability to hang in the air. I've not seen any other ruckman do what he did which coupled with game changing handball made for his claims to be one of the best ever.

One of his opponents from East Fremantle Jack Clark argued what Farmer did was outside the laws of the game but the umpies never agreed. Clark himself was a 100% champ as his 4 x All Australian selections testify.
http://www.wafootballhalloffame.com.au/inductees/2197-johnjack-clarke

thanks

tootagrook???? a you in the navy?

fabulous part of the world but just wondering how a west aussie finds himself near rosebud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back