Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I use the bridge when going to the Oval, but when leaving I use King William. The bridge is pathetically slow when you've got tens of thousands leaving all at once. 8 metres was never going to be wide enough for football game days, but for cricket it might be okay for Tests as people come and go throughout the day so there won't be a huge sudden rush out of the ground like there is for the footy.
Have you ever been there at stumps? We've all hung around for an extra half an hour because the ICC can't seem to force captains to bowl 1 over every 4 minutes for 6 hours, and we've been there since (in my case) 7am. There's a hell of a rush.

I use the bridge when going to the Oval, but when leaving I use King William. The bridge is pathetically slow when you've got tens of thousands leaving all at once. 8 metres was never going to be wide enough for football game days, but for cricket it might be okay for Tests as people come and go throughout the day so there won't be a huge sudden rush out of the ground like there is for the footy.

I don't think the bridge was intended for 50,000 people to use it at once. Because there's King William, the Morphett Street Bridge or whatever it's called. Some would head North.

Hopefully once the shininess wears off, people will start to use the most convenient bridge for their needs.

Have you ever been there at stumps? We've all hung around for an extra half an hour because the ICC can't seem to force captains to bowl 1 over every 4 minutes for 6 hours, and we've been there since (in my case) 7am. There's a hell of a rush.
Yes, every day. I'm a SACA member and am 100% certain that many people leave before 6pm. Plus people hang around on the village green after the days play as well. You can't compare a Test match crowd with a football crowd in terms of congestion after the game.

I don't think the bridge was intended for 50,000 people to use it at once. Because there's King William, the Morphett Street Bridge or whatever it's called. Some would head North.

Hopefully once the shininess wears off, people will start to use the most convenient bridge for their needs.
Would help a lot if the council allowed people to park in North Adelaide for more than 2 hours on game days.

Would help a lot if the council allowed people to park in North Adelaide for more than 2 hours on game days.

Yeah, but thousands would want to park there. A couple thousand cars lining the streets for a large chunk of the day (game, then food, drinks, etc.) is a bit much to ask of the locals.

It would be good if the North Adelaide Village had a season pass type of deal like UPark. Or maybe the council could set some carparks aside for a premium. But lets face it, the whole idea is to get more people on public transport. If people can't or won't do that, then that's the price they pay.

This.

I think most people are still enamored with the bridge. It will sort itself out. It's only game 5 Sunday.

parking in North Adelaide is at an absolute premium ANY day of the week, forget about trying to park 40,000 people worth of cars up there as well.

rode down to the last quarter of the Norwood v North match today. Over 10,000 people there, prob the highest minor round game attendance for a few years. Again, thousands used the footbridge bank into the city. Actually there seemed more of a buzz on the streets back in town tonight, compared to the crows match last week. Appeared no one told anyone to put on any extra trams

Yes, every day. I'm a SACA member and am 100% certain that many people leave before 6pm. Plus people hang around on the village green after the days play as well. You can't compare a Test match crowd with a football crowd in terms of congestion after the game.
There's also a helluva lot leave at Stumps. Would still be the majority I'd say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need to make the siren about twice as loud! Can't hear a thing, I think they forgot that a house full of Port fans is twice as passionate as a house full of Crows.
A crowd of 30k Crow fans vs Geelong last year is louder than 50k Port fans today.

Haven't had a chill down my back yet with the roar of the crowd.

Haha that was referring to the Norwood v North Adelaide game. I haven't missed a Port game for as long as I have been a member (ok I missed a game against Richmond when it was bucketing).

lol, fair enough :)

Port v Hawthorn on the 24th May is going to be immense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back