HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 Hampden League is here and there is some great match ups too!

Port Fairy v Portland @ Gardens Oval.
Fresh off a resounding drubbing from Koroit, Port Fairy have declared to bounce back with some fire in their bellies against Portland this week. They have made 3 changes bringing in Isaac Martin, Josh Gunning and Cam Brown. Portland have brought in Symons and Bunworth for Gordon and Woodford. Portland had a great win and will look to be 2 and 0 when they put Port Fairy to the sword in this match. Portland showed they have plenty of mid power and the ability to hit the scoreboard was actually scary good, if they had of kicked straight they may well of thumped Terang/Mortlake. Portland too good here.
Tip- Portland by 65 points.

Terang/Mortlake v North Warrnambool @ Terang
Both sides missing talent but also adding it. T/M lose gun Nick Couch but add experience in Pat Heffernan and Michael Sargeant. North lose Darmody, Mugavin and Bidmade but bring in goal sneak Jarryd Lewis, Luke Wines and reliable defender Tom O'Leary. The new look Eagles fwd line is smaller again this week and it concerns me a little with T/M having some good sizey defenders in Lourey and Baxter that will go to Parkinson and McLachlan. Mark Murphy is again likely to be important in their structure. T/M will have a big fwd line but the Eagles back line can match up quite well. The Bloods will be hungry for win no.1 but I think the class of the Eagles mids may win more of the footy. Eagles for the win.
Tip - North Warrnambool 13 points

South Warrnambool v Cobden @ Friendly's Society Park.
Matty Monk says he won't take that style of footy from the Roosters and will improve on it. Jock Blair out injured and Shaun Lucas in. The Roosters will definitely have their work cut out for them against the Bombers who even though have lost a lot seem to still have the will to perform and win. Tom Ludeman comes in for Ben Robertson. South would have to have a full about face to trouble the Bombers. Hinkley and Harkin will be tough to contain and Brody Mahoney is a beauty. Bombers to take the 4 points.
Tip - Cobden by 34 points

Camperdown v Warrnambool @ Leura Oval.
Camperdown were outclassed by North Warrnambool last weekend and have this week made some changes bringing in Young, Field and Briggs looking to add class and pace to their side. Warrnambool have included Will Paulin and Corey Gallichan losing Rob Bright and Peter Corredig. The Blues made light work of the Roosters and it was a stroll in the park for most. This one however needs them to turn up ready to play. Camperdown aren't horrible and they aren't near Warrnambool in the list of talent but a good start by the Pies and you never know. The Blues are a fearsome well drilled machine and should win this easily.
Tip - Warrnambool by 51 points.

Hamilton v Koroit @ Melville Oval on Sunday
Hamilton added Pat Sherlock while Koroit are unchanged after it's convincing win over Port Fairy. Hamilton have a way to go still but some improvement here could be a huge building block on this seasons confidence. I have a feeling even though Koroit will still be fairly strong that there are going to be chances to catch them off their A game when depth doesn't perform. Hamilton need to kick some goals so a restructure of the forward line is needed. Stop relying on Hugh Douglas to kick bags of goals because it isn't going to happen very often if at all. Hamilton folk watch out for Sam Dobson and Isaac Templeton who are Koroits best and will tear it up if not accounted for. I hope the Roos can show some fight but I'm on the Saints for a victory.
Tip - Koroit by 45 points.

Good luck to all sides competing this weekend!

HampdenMad

Round 2 Hampden League is here and there is some great match ups too!

Port Fairy v Portland @ Gardens Oval.
Fresh off a resounding drubbing from Koroit, Port Fairy have declared to bounce back with some fire in their bellies against Portland this week. They have made 3 changes bringing in Isaac Martin, Josh Gunning and Cam Brown. Portland have brought in Symons and Bunworth for Gordon and Woodford. Portland had a great win and will look to be 2 and 0 when they put Port Fairy to the sword in this match. Portland showed they have plenty of mid power and the ability to hit the scoreboard was actually scary good, if they had of kicked straight they may well of thumped Terang/Mortlake. Portland too good here.
Tip- Portland by 65 points.

Terang/Mortlake v North Warrnambool @ Terang
Both sides missing talent but also adding it. T/M lose gun Nick Couch but add experience in Pat Heffernan and Michael Sargeant. North lose Darmody, Mugavin and Bidmade but bring in goal sneak Jarryd Lewis, Luke Wines and reliable defender Tom O'Leary. The new look Eagles fwd line is smaller again this week and it concerns me a little with T/M having some good sizey defenders in Lourey and Baxter that will go to Parkinson and McLachlan. Mark Murphy is again likely to be important in their structure. T/M will have a big fwd line but the Eagles back line can match up quite well. The Bloods will be hungry for win no.1 but I think the class of the Eagles mids may win more of the footy. Eagles for the win.
Tip - North Warrnambool 13 points

South Warrnambool v Cobden @ Friendly's Society Park.
Matty Monk says he won't take that style of footy from the Roosters and will improve on it. Jock Blair out injured and Shaun Lucas in. The Roosters will definitely have their work cut out for them against the Bombers who even though have lost a lot seem to still have the will to perform and win. Tom Ludeman comes in for Ben Robertson. South would have to have a full about face to trouble the Bombers. Hinkley and Harkin will be tough to contain and Brody Mahoney is a beauty. Bombers to take the 4 points.
Tip - Cobden by 34 points

Camperdown v Warrnambool @ Leura Oval.
Camperdown were outclassed by North Warrnambool last weekend and have this week made some changes bringing in Young, Field and Briggs looking to add class and pace to their side. Warrnambool have included Will Paulin and Corey Gallichan losing Rob Bright and Peter Corredig. The Blues made light work of the Roosters and it was a stroll in the park for most. This one however needs them to turn up ready to play. Camperdown aren't horrible and they aren't near Warrnambool in the list of talent but a good start by the Pies and you never know. The Blues are a fearsome well drilled machine and should win this easily.
Tip - Warrnambool by 51 points.

Hamilton v Koroit @ Melville Oval on Sunday
Hamilton added Pat Sherlock while Koroit are unchanged after it's convincing win over Port Fairy. Hamilton have a way to go still but some improvement here could be a huge building block on this seasons confidence. I have a feeling even though Koroit will still be fairly strong that there are going to be chances to catch them off their A game when depth doesn't perform. Hamilton need to kick some goals so a restructure of the forward line is needed. Stop relying on Hugh Douglas to kick bags of goals because it isn't going to happen very often if at all. Hamilton folk watch out for Sam Dobson and Isaac Templeton who are Koroits best and will tear it up if not accounted for. I hope the Roos can show some fight but I'm on the Saints for a victory.
Tip - Koroit by 45 points.

Good luck to all sides competing this weekend!

HampdenMad
With Camperdown muted to be a top 5 possibility it is concerning HampdenMad you think Warrnambool will win so easily at Camperdown.

With Camperdown muted to be a top 5 possibility it is concerning HampdenMad you think Warrnambool will win so easily at Camperdown.

They may be touted but I don't have them finishing in my top 5. I think its more concerning that Warrnambool are 4-5 goals better than any side in the competition from the glance of footy we have had.

A couple upsets in HFNL...Port Fairy beating Portland. Hamilton beating Koroit. Season may not be as predictable as first thought.

Yes Sam42, means the ANZAC day clash between Portland and Hamilton at Portland should be a real cracker!! With Myles and Holt playing against their old clubs. Could start a whole new Hamden rivalry!!
Can't wait for this one.

Yes Sam42, means the ANZAC day clash between Portland and Hamilton at Portland should be a real cracker!! With Myles and Holt playing against their old clubs. Could start a whole new Hamden rivalry!!
Can't wait for this one.
Yeah mate. Should be a cracker. Looking forward to it as well

Great win for the Hamilton Kangaroos today. Well deserved after they ran Koroit off their legs all day. Koroit played a man down for most of the day losing Buck early in the 1st Qtr to a calf injury. Also through undisciplined actions midfielder Isaac Templeton was sent off for 15 mins of the final qtr. Koroit were far from what is expected to be their best football but all credit to Hamilton who pressured and forced skill errors all day. The tackling was fierce and their use into their 50m was much better than Koroits. Hugh Douglas kicked his bag of 5, and Koroit had no answer to curb his impact. Tim Meulendyks (spelling not sure of), was impressive, Brad Thomas and young Tom Feely all played very good footy. Hausler was impressive up forward for the Saints, and Templeton was very potent early but faded after half time. Today was a flat Koroit and an inspired Hamilton! Great for the competition to have these upsets this weekend. Yesterday I watched Port Fairy sneak over the line of a skill error laden Portland! Portland had a terrible time hitting targets and Port Fairy made them pay! Old man Gary Robinson bagged another 4 goals, his body work one on one is still superb. The Seagulls Aaron Shields produced a great game and had the ball on a string. Jaxson Barham is in a league of his own and Coleman was yet again impressive. The Seagulls showed that there is days where teams can come to play and will upset some sides that think they will walk in and win. Portland still have problems winning away from home and Jake Myles has some work to do. For Portland Digan and Crane were both solid and big man Ben Malcolm went well also.

Scores:

Cobden defeated
4.5, 9.10, 15.16, 20.18 (138)

South Warrnambool
0.2, 4.3, 8.3, 14.7 (91)

------------
Warrnambool defeated
2.6, 6.8, 11.12, 13.17 (95)

Camperdown
2.4, 5.4, 7.8, 11.10 (76)

---------------
Nth W'Bool Eagles def
5.2, 8.4, 10.6, 13.10 (88)

Terang Mortlake
2.4, 5.7, 10.7, 12.13 (85)

-------------
Port Fairy defeated 10.19 (79)

Portland 11.10 (76)

-------------
Hamilton Kangaroos defeated
14.8 92

Koroit Saints
12.11 83

I watched Port Fairy defeat Portland as well HampdenMAD and I have to disagree with you on Barham. He was OK but certainly not in a league of his own. I thought Shields was fantastic, very hard footballer with great skills.
Port Fairy will upset more then just Portland this season when they play at home. As long as they can hold onto their recruits.

I watched Port Fairy defeat Portland as well HampdenMAD and I have to disagree with you on Barham. He was OK but certainly not in a league of his own. I thought Shields was fantastic, very hard footballer with great skills.
Port Fairy will upset more then just Portland this season when they play at home. As long as they can hold onto their recruits.

Will definitely be a problem if those recruits are unavailable as much as has been rumored. I still don't think that Port Fairy's impact will be huge but they are showing some fight and that's all that matters. The more unpredictable this league is the better.

How has young Withers performed in his first two games at the Eagles?

Has played both games but no mentions in the best players for the Eagle backman. Has been playing a back flank/pocket role and according to a mate from the Eagles he has been solid for them. I will check out the Eagles next round and be able to mark him them.

What has happened to the gun recruit the Roosters were crowing about - I think his name was Thomson from the Kowree Naracoorte League. Haven't seen his name mentioned - is he injured ?

What has happened to the gun recruit the Roosters were crowing about - I think his name was Thomson from the Kowree Naracoorte League. Haven't seen his name mentioned - is he injured ?

Unsure on this one sorry Blythe! I ll attempt to find out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anzac Day footy!!

Koroit v South Warrnambool

Koroit have made 2 changes after a loss to Hamilton with the return of NB Rebel Jayden Brennan who has returned to Koroit for the rest of the season, youngster Willem Drew has been called up. They lose assistant coach Mathew Buck to a calf injury and one yet to be named as an out. South Warrnambool have been struck by injury losing gun mid Sam Thompson to a shoulder, Ratu was suspended, Moloney and O'Rourke out also. In comes Nick Thompson, Hunt, Parsons and Thornton. Nick Thompson back is a big plus for the roosters but I can't see it changing this result. Koroit have too much class and will be eager to stamp some authority after last weeks loss. Templeton and Hausler are in great form and Sam Dobson rarely has two quiet games in a row.
Tip- Koroit by 45 points.

Portland v Hamilton
Portland coming of a loss to Port Fairy have regained mid Rhys Egan which will add even more strength to the potent midfield. Woodford, Falcone and Young also named. Stiles and Vaughan outs. Hamilton are up and about after last weeks great win over Koroit, they make two changes with Ubergang and Logan coming in for O'Brien and Lowe. Hamilton have some great players coming thru and their pick ups this year in the Meulendyks are playmakers. I like the Portland team at home and they should flex some muscle through the mid and win this one.
Tip - Portland by 40 points.

Cobden v Camperdown
This should be a cracker of a game! The Bombers v Pies on Anzac Day, it's just feels right! Under lights in Cobden should be a close one. Cobden regain Robertson also named a host of others. Outs are Mat Harkin, Pekin and Robertson. Camperdown regain Luke Clarke and include Lucas and Dowell. Outs are Field, Davis and Luke Cardinal. Both have had decent form but Cobden have turned their form into wins where as Camperdown have not. I like Camperdown to continue it's good form against good sides and to be able to push Cobden aside just! Bateman is in a purple patch of form, Luke Mahoney and Fraser Lucas have some lifting to do but overall I think they have the cattle to get over the line. Cobden have some great quality also but how far can the top 5 carry them....prove me wrong tonight Bombers.
Tip - Camperdown by 12 points

Good luck to those sides today!! And lest we forget

Saturdays games:

Warrnambool v North Warrnambool
The rematch of last seasons preliminary final and the teams read very different. Warrnambool have named big ins Josh Walters, Damian McCorkell and Peter Corredig for Sam Cowling, Corey Gallichan and Luke McLeod. North on the other hand have some big outs with Jeremy Parkinson (eye), Brendan Murfett is likely to be a late out with a knee and have dropped Woodhams and Brophy. In comes Ben Mugavin, Jye Bidmade, debutant Thomas Maclarn and one emergency is also likely to play. Huge outs for North who are also still missing Barlow, Sheldon, Batten and Darmody. Warrnambool are clearing the favs this season and will be a big chance to give a light on North a bit of a touch up on the Reid tomorrow as they did in the Prelim. Class all over the ground for Warrnambool and North have a few question marks at this stage. I'm tipping strong games from Rowan and Graham up forward and for the Blues mids to stamp authority and win around the ground.
My tip - Warrnambool by 36 points.

Port Fairy v Terang Mortlake
A multitude of changes in this game Xavier McCartney out with a broken leg, Stockman out with a hammy replaced by McCosh and Hare. TM have lost Pat Heffernan, Finnerty and Wareham and included Joe Conheady, Joe Arrundel and Danny Craven. The Bloods are supposed to be the big improvers and this is a chance to put the first win on the board, Port Fairy had a good win against Portland last week and will be confident. I think TM will be too strong forward for Port Fairy and that's where this will be won.
My tip - TM by 40 points

[quotis ="HampdenMAD, post: 32739545, member: 128399"]Saturdays games:

Warrnambool v North Warrnambool
The rematch of last seasons preliminary final and the teams read very different. Warrnambool have named big ins Josh Walters, Damian McCorkell and Peter Corredig for Sam Cowling, Corey Gallichan and Luke McLeod. North on the other hand have some big outs with Jeremy Parkinson (eye), Brendan Murfett is likely to be a late out with a knee and have dropped Woodhams and Brophy. In comes Ben Mugavin, Jye Bidmade, debutant Thomas Maclarn and one emergency is also likely to play. Huge outs for North who are also still missing Barlow, Sheldon, Batten and Darmody. Warrnambool are clearing the favs this season and will be a big chance to give a light on North a bit of a touch up on the Reid tomorrow as they did in the Prelim. Class all over the ground for Warrnambool and North have a few question marks at this stage. I'm tipping strong games from Rowan and Graham up forward and for the Blues mids to stamp authority and win around the ground.
My tip - Warrnambool by 36 points.

Port Fairy v Terang Mortlake
A multitude of changes in this game Xavier McCartney out with a broken leg, Stockman out with a hammy replaced by McCosh and Hare. TM have lost Pat Heffernan, Finnerty and Wareham and included Joe Conheady, Joe Arrundel and Danny Craven. The Bloods are supposed to be the big improvers and this is a chance to put the first win on the board, Port Fairy had a good win against Portland last week and will be confident. I think TM will be too strong forward for Port Fairy and that's where this will be won.
My tip - TM by 40 points[/quote]
Sure has been close for Portland this year, 2 games under a goal and yesterday wasnt much different. Portland only breaking the deadlock in last 5 to 10 mins. Hamilton foot skills for a lot of the game were of a high standard. Just need another one or two top forwards. Going to enjoy Luke Crane this year. Superb skills, strong as for a little feller.

Well Warrnambool certainly did make light work of a very undermanned North Warrnambool running out winners 121 to 51. Half time was only 10 points in favour of the Blues but North ran out of steam and Jason Rowan kicked 4 last qtr goals to finish with 8 for the game. As expected Brendan Murfett was a late change, as was utility Luke Williams who pulled a hamstring in the warm up minutes before the bounce, he was replaced by Matthew Brophy who had already played and was named best player in the reserves. Dean Gavin went down with a game ending ankle injury nearing half time leaving North well and truly on their knees. The Blues showed their class and blasted the Eagles away with great run from Walters and Bell. Corredig was solid all day and Andrew McCarthy served well yet again. Norths best was easily Matthew Wines and Sam McLachlan who stood out in the midfield most of the day. Wines suffered a cut above the eye in a head clash requiring stitches to further add to the lengthy injury list at the a Eagles. Blues still the team to beat! McMeel and Paulin were both reported for separate incidents. Also on a side note players should respect injured players being helped from the field of play by a trainer, Jye Turland laid a heavy bump on Dean Gavin as he was helped off the ground and I don't care if he does play for the team I follow in the Blues I found that out of line and he should well of been reported, shameful act.

Terang Mortlake pushed aside a determined Port Fairy yesterday to run out winners 111 to 75. Port Fairy came within 18 points in the 3rd qtr but T/M lead by Stephen Staunton kicking 5 goals cruised to victory to record their first win of the season. Gary Robinson booted 4 goals for the Seagulls again, but it wasn't enough. Xavier Lourey and Damian O'Connor were both very good for T/M and Chris Baxter was best afield. Port Fairy were best served by Martin, Coleman and Farley.

Camperdown is now the only side in the comp without a win and they face Koroit this week.

North Warrnambool face Cobden Bombers in an intriguing clash.

Hamilton Kangaroos are home to Port Fairy in a tasty battle to stay in touch with the top 5.

Terang/Mortlake are the next to take on the powerhouse Warrnambool Blues.

And South Warrnambool host the Portland Tigers again a big one for the side that wins to stay in contact with the 5.

A close one as I have said but isn't it great for Hampden followers! Loving the footy!

Looks like Portland has lost Jay Moody for the rest of the season. Going to hurt big time with goals already proving hard to kick.

Sorry people no reviews this week just my tips! Been a busy week at the office! Will give a good wrap up following this rounds games!

Terang/Mortlake v Warrnambool
My Tip - Warrnambool too strong by 41 points.

Hamilton v Port Fairy
My Tip - Hamilton looking good when playing at home, but conditions tough tomorrow, Port Fairy to win just....9 points.

North Warrnambool v Cobden Bombers
My Tip - Cobden haven't beaten much just yet, North gain some good players, North by 28 points.

South Warrnambool v Portland
My Tip - South have a big list of changes, Portland need to win this and I will take them by 18 points.

Camperdown v Koroit
My Tip - Big ground, shocking day for footy, Camperdown unsure where they are at, Koroit I still feel are better than most, Koroit by 11 points.

Could be a day for some upsets with the weather forecast not looking great! The first dose of hard wet footy! Good luck to all!

Mark Clissold formerly of Kolora-Noorat now at Simpson has walked out on his new club and is trying to get a clearance to Terang Mortlake, if it's successful it will add another avenue to goal for the Bloods as Mark was an important fwd for Kolora Noorat over last few seasons.

Mark Clissold formerly of Kolora-Noorat now at Simpson has walked out on his new club and is trying to get a clearance to Terang Mortlake, if it's successful it will add another avenue to goal for the Bloods as Mark was an important fwd for Kolora Noorat over last few seasons.
I believe he is contracted player and wont be let leave. Fronting the cdfl tribunal tonight for headbutting

Huge week of footy this weekend! We have some ladder defining games all over the round, we have some VFL talent taking the park, some other major ins and some very big outs. It's great to see such evenness about the competition this season even with the thus far dominant Warrnambool Blues atop of the pack. The tipping is tough and I ll have a crack again at getting them all right.

First up we have the game of the round in terms of ladder position:

Koroit Saints v North Warrnambool Eagles

2nd placed Koroit have added the handy Tim Martin to their side for the clash against 4th placed (same amount of points) North Warrnambool. The Eagles added a trio of talent in McMeel, Murfett and new captain Barlow for his first senior game this season. Koroit had been tipped to slide this season and after a start that seen them lose one to Hamilton it's hard to say where the actually do stand. I'm tipping it's about where they are, somewhere between 2nd and 5th. This is a big test for the Saints with the Eagles having some good form and some returning talent. The talls for Koroit need to give the smalls the advantage and make this a quick paced game or else I fear the Eagles could run Koroit off their legs. Good game ahead here and the winner is crusing.
My Tip - North Wbool by 21 points

Cobden Bombers v Warrnambool Blues

Another top of the table clash with the Blues 1st and the Bombers 3rd (equal with Koroit and North). The Bombers have added the goal kicking Paatsch to their side while Warrnambool have regained John Paulin from suspension. The Bombers love their home ground advantage and always seem to anyone who visits. This one though could prove a very tough foe. The Blues are on auto pilot at the moment, just cruising along winning by enough and no injuries to key players have them well and truely in a safe position. The Bombers need to play with the run and flair they have always shown over the last few seasons and hope to catch the Blues having a nap. A fast start and don't take the pedal off the floor is probably Cobdens only hope here.

My Tip - Warrnambool by 45 points

Port Fairy Seagulls v South Warrnambool Roosters.

The battle here is towards the bottom of the ladder but both sides are only one win out of the 5. Both teams also add some VFL talent in this week with Port Fairy adding Jackson Hollmer to their ranks, and South Warrnambool adding Matthew Sully to theirs. Both quality players and both exciting. South bouyed by an impressive win over Portland last week are pumped to attack this one head on, Sully could play anywhere but if I was a betting man I would say he may begin in the middle and then fwd or back depending on the momentum. Port Fairy have been indifferent so far with 1 win and a couple of gallant losses so I have a feeling this could be a really close one if both play at their potential. No Gary Robinson hurts a little tho.
My Tip - Port Fairy by 4 points

Portland Tigers v Camperdown Magpies.
Portland host the Pies and both sides need to break the shackles and the mounting pressure. Portland have been widely tipped as a massive improver with the amout of talent they added this season but it hasn't been all smooth sailing for new coach Jake Myles. While Luke Crane has been very impressive the Tigers have not. The visiting side also have been surprisingly slow starters with the Pies yet to register a win. Some gallant losses to Warrnambool and North but still no 4 points. Portland at Hanlon Park will not make this an easy feat either. It's just as well the Tigers are back at the fortress because the Pies will be very keen to break the shackles!! I think Portland will bounce back after last couple of weeks and win this one just through the power of the midfield but if I was Jake Myles make sure you play your gun midfielders either in the mid or behind the ball across half back not full forward. Don't waste the talent and use of footy. Pies need to pinch this one and kick start their season because 0-5 is a long way back for any side.
My Tip - Portland by 12 points.

Hamilton Kangaroos v Terang Mortlake Bloods at Mortlake.
The dressed injury curse has stuck for the Bloods and out goes Damian O'Connor, Mick Sargeant and Stephen Staunton. They regain backman gun Chris Baxter from VFL duties in another of the VFL talent playing Hampden League this week. Hamilton also lose one to injury and that is Coach Jarrod Holt. This is likely to be a great game at Mortlake, Hamilton enjoy a big ground and TM are wounded. They will definitely look to exploit the Bloods youth and be a fast but physical side. I expect Hamilton to win this one, it's a great opportunity for them and they must stand up here and prove they are on the improve.
My Tip - Hamilton by 12 points.

Good luck all sides and don't ya just love the look of Hampden footy at the moment!! Healthy and even!!

HFNL FT Score - and my tips are all over the place again! Happy it's a bit tougher though!

SW 11.12.78
PF 13.13.91

Cob 12.11.83
Warr 14.21.105

NW 9.14.68
Kor 14.9.93

PT 16.20.116
Camp 7.13.55

Ham 11.10.76
TM 13.8.86

Remove this Banner Ad

Back