Billy Stretch - 2014 F/S Prospect and U18 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect he is just being cagey at teh quest of the club to ensure we dont pay overs

In this article posted above http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-09/no-stretch-for-billy it sounds much more like he would like to play for us. I think he is just keeping a lid on his expectations as the club hasn't committed to him yet.
Based on what i've read: "Obviously I'd love to play for Melbourne but there's still so much to go yet and I'm just trying to keep the enjoyment up in my footy"
He sounds like he wants to come over and make a good fist of it.

Just wondering if you suspect if either of the SA clubs will nominate for him and where?

What is his draft range? (F/S aside)

A runner who can kick. Looks a good chance to be our second rounder. If all three of him Salem and Toumpas pan out we might have a football team.

I know it's hope but reading these statements make me sick inside , they amount of times since 07 I've heard when player x,y,c gets to 50 games etc they will be good players

Maybe I'm grumpy because I'm at work but until they are established in the side they shouldn't be talked about as future players ( except hogan )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A runner who can kick. Looks a good chance to be our second rounder. If all three of him Salem and Toumpas pan out we might have a football team.
Those three and Watts have potential as an outside midfield brigade to be both lethal and useless. Either way it's going to take too much time for them to come on, and you wouldn't want there to be too much expectation on the younger three from the start. Definitely need to prioritise going for some developed outside types in the trade period this year. Players like O'Rourke (the Tyson of 2014) that are fit, quick and good finders/users of the football, but won't be too expensive.

Is anyone ever really a Demons supporter anymore?

Mate I'm a Geelong supporter and at this point I'd near rather see you guys win one than us.

Obviously I am exaggerating but as a one eyed Geelong supporter, somehow even my heart beats true.

You guys are a great club, and no matter what has happened over the last 8 seasons or so, it does not take away from your history.

If I was drafted by Melbourne, I would be proud to wear the red and blue.

Make no mistake, it's still a grand old flag, it's just at half mast.

It would be great to have a(nother) bright prospect who grew up watching his father bleed red for blue and red.

Mate I'm a Geelong supporter and at this point I'd near rather see you guys win one than us.

Obviously I am exaggerating but as a one eyed Geelong supporter, somehow even my heart beats true.

You guys are a great club, and no matter what has happened over the last 8 seasons or so, it does not take away from your history.

If I was drafted by Melbourne, I would be proud to wear the red and blue.

Make no mistake, it's still a grand old flag, it's just at half mast.

It would be great to have a(nother) bright prospect who grew up watching his father bleed red for blue and red.

Its at half mast, upside down, smeared with s**t and on fire.

But thanks for the words.

Knightmare has updated his 2014 Phantom draft a few days ago.

He's dropped Billy Stretch from his previous rating of 'potential high level player' to 'in with a chance of making it'.

KM reading between the lines, you seem to have dropped of on Billy Stretch a little.

Have you seen anything specific from him, or more just others stepping up?

Mostly seeing more of others and liking their improvement more. But in saying that I wasn't particularly impressed by his AIS v Collingwood game. Senior competition is a real measuring point to see where guys are at and Stretch looked out of his depth.

He still has time to rise up my rankings but he's looking more like a 3rd rounder for Melbourne at this point.

F/S players do make a difference, they don't always turn out that 'great', but you can guarantee that they will give everything they have to make something of themselves.
And the draft is such a lottery that you're best off going for someone who you know is going to give it their all for you.

If GWS or the GC had bid on Jack Viney with picks 1 or 2 in 2012 I'd have given up pick 3 for him in a heartbeat, and I reckon it would be more than worthwhile. Jack was probably always in the top 5 to 10 players in his draft which Billy apparently isn't, but I think he's well worth a second or third rounder.

And the draft is such a lottery that you're best off going for someone who you know is going to give it their all for you.

If GWS or the GC had bid on Jack Viney with picks 1 or 2 in 2012 I'd have given up pick 3 for him in a heartbeat, and I reckon it would be more than worthwhile. Jack was probably always in the top 5 to 10 players in his draft which Billy apparently isn't, but I think he's well worth a second or third rounder.

One man's pressure is another man's motivation.

I would never underestimate the uniqueness of the F/S rule and the motivation of someone not wanting to disappoint their father or a man's motivation to outdo him.

Tom Hawkins wants to make his father proud in the hoops.

Matthew Scarlett is estranged from his father and would have done anything to go down in history as the better player.

I think it gives many of them an edge (as well as their respective clubs)

One man's pressure is another man's motivation.

I would never underestimate the uniqueness of the F/S rule and the motivation of someone not wanting to disappoint their father or a man's motivation to outdo him.

Tom Hawkins wants to make his father proud in the hoops.

Matthew Scarlett is estranged from his father and would have done anything to go down in history as the better player.

I think it gives many of them an edge (as well as their respective clubs)
What happened to Chris Johnson ?
Old man Alan was a gun, Chris was a spud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back