Unofficial Preview Round 6 Early Thoughts - Sydney vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling from Longmire's presser that Sam Reid will play. With LRT still in the team, i think it will be at the expense of Derickx

Goodes can play tall, small, quick, inside, outside, ruck, forward, defender and orange boy. He can crumb anything, spoil anything, mark anything and kick the leather off a Sherrin. He marks overhead, below his knees, in a pack or out in space. He's lightning over 20m, Mensa smart, strong as a wrestler and has more tricks than a magician. He doesn't crash cars.....
One of the best testimonials I've ever heard. Thrilled that the champ is coming back, certainly sooner than I expected.

Pretty happy with the team this week, although too bad Toby Nankervis didn't got a start against the Ds.

The exciting thing about Rampe over the weekend is, his field kicking looked fantastic. Shows he can work on his deficiences. If he can play to that level on a regular basis we have a weapon on our hands and that should be his goal. Will play 22 games this year at current output.

I think it has to do with roles. Previously he had to play the third tall role and be incredibly defensive. His natural game is as an attacking HB. He did this very well in the Twos and delivery was great when he was streaming out of defence. Interesting now that Laids is there he can play his natural flashy game and his disposal has improved immensely. Loved how he took them on, he is quite quick and has a great body for breaking tackles and did so last weekend. He will only get better in this role because it is more natural to his game. Still very good defensively but his attacking game is sensational.

Great to see the champ back, I am concerned at what they will do with him. I personally would like to him start as sub.

I know people say he needs match fitness but we need him in September, not round 6 v Melbourne. He has 16 weeks to get match fit. I would mind him being our sub for the next 3-4 weeks if it guaranteed him for for finals. Right now it should be about easing him into senior footy, allowing his body to adjust to the physical pressures again.

How derickx has played 6 games straight is Beyond me, he must be laughing
I think he'll get to play a full forward role, with a typical Goodes-licence-to-roam card from Horse, with stints on the bench as the resting ruckman takes FF. Play him until halfway through the 3rd, then sub him with Jake.

Also think horse has made the right call keeping Lloyd in the side . Not only does it help develop the kid but from a team perspective , it adds depth with senior experience.

Last year we limped into the finals and had to play jack, Cunningham and Biggs.biggs made his debut in a final and Cunningham and jack had only played a handful of games between them . All three were thrown to the wolves and luckily all 3 carried themselves quite well. It really could have backfired carrying 3 guys with little to no afl experience .

Assuming we have no injuries( unlikely I know ) for the rest of the year, the guys who are fringe players and fighting for the last couple of spots in the 22 are rampe( probably close to best 22 now), Laidler, jack, rohan( see rampe), Lloyd, Cunningham ,Biggs . Have all had has some experience. Hopefully we can get some games into Biggs and jones and the above players mentioned can all continue to contribute .

If we have as many injuries as last year, putting games into these kids can only help and IMO we will be better equipped this year to cover any losses of required

Biggs did not make his debut in a final, he made his debut in the last game of the season against Hawks at ANZ. But I see your point about getting games into young players. In fact I thought this game and the one against Lions good opportunities to play young players. After all who have Demons bothered? Suns for a half after Suns kicked woefully and on forward entries should have won by 10 goals. The score-line flattered Dees. They beat Carlton in an upset and let's face it blues were not exactly playing well. They were crap. They gave GWS a go for 3 quarters in a really scrappy game. Annihilated by Eagles. In the first game Saints won by kicking straighter and both sides were woeful. No need to even mention Lions as they have been lucky to even score this season they have been that bad. If they thought they were in pain last year I think this year is going to be agonising.

so yes I agree with developing young players as we are probably going to lose up to 5 veterans next year and delist up to 3 listed young players. Good draft at the end of the year, especially for KPP.

I think he was talking about the 18 year stretch from 1996. We're really the Arsenal of the AFL... except we've won something in the last 8 years!
Hey, wash your mouth out........ give it a few weeks and we will have a nice shiny cup in our cabinet. Isn't that right SM ? :D

Swans 13th V Them 17th
This is a critical game to set up team confidence and structure moving forward.

Goodes has to come in at some stage. I would be happy him playing every 2nd week and see how useful he is then work it from there.

BJ is fantastic but got dragged for a reason (probably would have run out of legs against Freo).

D-rex is a necessary evil but I like his "this is my last chance" vigour. He needs game time as he will be required come pointy end of season like it or not.

Reid has got to, got to take the next step, no excuses.

Laidler will win over some swans fans eventually when they accept that AJ is not playing this season.

Rampe was thrown to the wolves last year and responded with merit and has continued this year (Jude knows a thing or two).

My love for Parker has no bounds, he will be elite and remembered as a great of the game.

Buddys' learning to kick straight but has an inverse effect on his driving.

Just some of my thoughts.
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
Welcome Chakanya

Parker reminds me a little of Shane Crawford. A better mark and much more intelligent but has the same ball skills and elusiveness. Not fast but bloody elusive.

I hope Reid is a late inclusion for Derickx (not bashing on him, just needs to be a tall for tall and he's the obvious choice)
If the plan is to have Goodes, Buddy, Reid and Tippett roaming around in the same forward line, then they need to start playing together as soon as possible. If Reid is fit, he needs to come in.. it gives 3 of them a chance to start building some synergy before the BIG target comes back (which is hopefully next week).
It has the potential to be a power forward line as not many teams have 4 genuine defenders ( plus Buddy, Goodes & Reid are quick and very mobile at ground level too, which makes them even more dangerous)....BUT there morethan likely will be a lot of teething problems and a few of the top clubs could exploit them. So any practice games against the lower clubs is welcome. Am not taking Melbourne lightly btw, if GWS can beat us anyone can! but if we drop another of these ' pencil a win' games our season (in regards to top 4) is cooked anyway.

I edited as I saw fit to make my point more precise. If you still prefer Geelong's style and the way they run the club I'm sure they can fit you in their membership. Personally I'm chuffed to see veteran champions still running out. The Swans of old had no 300 gamers. We now have 3 from the 2005 GF team and one more who might make it if he can recapture the magic. Every year we get one or two rookie fans coming onto the board dictating that we should ditch our veterans and play young guys. Well we do play young guys but we keep a core of hardened vets. Geelong won their premierships with an ageing team of seasoned finals campaigners. It's common lore that experience in finals is necessary to win a GF. Sure there might be the odd aberration but for the most part that has always been true. In the last 7 years Geelong have won 3 premierships. That's a better record than any other team but it doesn't mean 17 other teams should try to be Geelong. In fact, over the last 2 years since Geelong won their last GF we have done better than them overall. 2012 GF vs. falling at the first final then 2013 both knocked out in prelim, and we made it just as far despite our annus horribilis with injuries. So it's a bit early (at Rnd 5) to call on who has the better strategy.

When players are past it then we need to move on. I too loved watching ROK when he was at his best but there is nothing worse that watching a venerable veteran who is past it. Look at Tadhg Kennelly, he was wonderful one year and finished half way through the next. Our veterans are starting to all get to that spot, they are all over 33 , they are all slowing down. Even Shaw does not have the same pace or aplomb he used to. ROK certainly looked not only slow but slow to react to situations like when to tackle, when to release the ball. LRT is struggling a bit too. He doesn't seem as strong as the LRT we have been used to. his timing has been off and he is getting slower. I think at the end of the season it is time to pull the plug on LRT, Shaw, Goodsie & ROK. Let them retire with dignity instead of going one too many, like Tadhg.

A few on here have indicated KJ may not be right with sore ribs, I notice Z Jones as an emergency, possibility of a late call up debut? Or is he in Makay?

According to the reports Zac is in Mackay. But won't know until 1.30pm today when the twos stream starts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think if Reid pulled up well today after his first full training session back yesterday since injury he will come in for Dericx ( Horse did give that hint anyway ) as for Jones he was pulled out of the 2s list late last night but could be just being safe as he is one of the 3 emg
LRT 2nd ruck?

Is this still the game preview thread? Curious about Franklin's knee, haven't seen/heard it mentioned anywhere.

What have you heard about his knee??

I haven't heard anything, but Tedeski implied a few posts back that he looked a bit proppy on the footage he saw from last night's training. It might be nothing, I guess we'll see tomorrow night.

I haven't heard anything, but Tedeski implied a few posts back that he looked a bit proppy on the footage he saw from last night's training. It might be nothing, I guess we'll see tomorrow night.

Hope so, looked really good playing out of the square last week and I reckon a bag of 5+ is on offer for him tomorrow.

Interesting to see how roos plays frawley. He is their best forward at the moment but also they're best defender

When players are past it then we need to move on. I too loved watching ROK when he was at his best but there is nothing worse that watching a venerable veteran who is past it. Look at Tadhg Kennelly, he was wonderful one year and finished half way through the next. Our veterans are starting to all get to that spot, they are all over 33 , they are all slowing down. Even Shaw does not have the same pace or aplomb he used to. ROK certainly looked not only slow but slow to react to situations like when to tackle, when to release the ball. LRT is struggling a bit too. He doesn't seem as strong as the LRT we have been used to. his timing has been off and he is getting slower. I think at the end of the season it is time to pull the plug on LRT, Shaw, Goodsie & ROK. Let them retire with dignity instead of going one too many, like Tadhg.

Wolfie, I partly agree with your sentiments but I'd rather see a managed transition than wholesale slaughter. Shaw is playing well IMO, ROK needs to lift or face the firing squad. LRT has been out quite a while but I'm hopeful he will improve and carry the load until Reid can take over the swingman role. Goodes ? Bit early to call time on him when we haven't seen him for 10 months. He was on fire before he did his knee. Let's see how he plays out the year. Jude retired right on the money but not before helping to set up players to fill the gap. That's the sort of transition we need. Managed and careful.

Importantly, our premiership window is open and we need a solid core of experienced finals campaigners to win the big games. I'm happy with the rate of transition at present. There is a risk that a player will play on one year too many but there is also a risk that we cut a player's career short without fully developing a replacement. A fine line to tread but I trust our staff.

I think he'll get to play a full forward role, with a typical Goodes-licence-to-roam card from Horse, with stints on the bench as the resting ruckman takes FF. Play him until halfway through the 3rd, then sub him with Jake.

I like this. Goodes at FF would take a lot of heat off Franklin without pushing Goodes too hard. No way can a defender not have that in the back of their mind. Do they play in front and risk having the ball get over the back where Goodes is a master at the ground ball ? Do they play behind and risk having Goodes crash his considerable weight into their back ? Heck, who's got time to worry about Buddy ? Which one draws the number one defender ? They can't double up on both.

I like this. Goodes at FF would take a lot of heat off Franklin without pushing Goodes too hard. No way can a defender not have that in the back of their mind. Do they play in front and risk having the ball get over the back where Goodes is a master at the ground ball ? Do they play behind and risk having Goodes crash his considerable weight into their back ? Heck, who's got time to worry about Buddy ? Which one draws the number one defender ? They can't double up on both.
Plus with Frawley playing forward their back six are going to be under a lot of pressure. With decent delivery I'm hoping for some attractive forward action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back