Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Hampton, Plowman, Ward
HB: Bugg, Davis, Corr
C: Kelly, Cognillio, Scully
HF: Whitfield, Patton, Tomlinson
FF: Lamb, Cameron, Smith
Fol: Boyd, Shiel, Greene
Int: Treloar, Wilson, Buntine, Downie
That is a great squad for moddern football, plenty of tough nuts to win the contested footy, Ward, Bugg, Smith, Greene, Treloar. Plenty of outside runners, Hampton, Kelly, Cognillio, Scully, Whitfield, Shiel, Buntine. Plenty of height, Plowmann, Corr, Davis, Patton, Tomlinson, Cameron, Boyd, Whitfield, Downie. It is all about coaching, development and a harmonious group to get this squad a formidable decade long powerhouse!

GWS have not 1, not 2 but 3 KPF, Boyd, Cameron and Patton. Can you play all three in one team? if not, try plucking one of these I say...
We just won't trade a player that would land any of them (very keen on any of them) I have a suspicion we may not trade any player unless they ask for a trade We are family is maybe part of the culture Ken is trying to build.

For me go hard after a known quantity. For me that is Day. I know he's contracted to GC but it's far from impossible to extract good players from other clubs and it doesn't have to happen at the end of this year.
I don't think there is another good KPF that we could realistically get, unless we punt on one that hasn't quite made it at their current club and we give them a new environment (e.g. Vickery).
The problem with this whole philosophy is that it would most likely mean trading one of our players and I can't see us doing that or even a first 22 player asking for one.
Will be very interesting to see how the club tackles this one.

I don't mind the idea of Vickery but it's more lols at the Tigers than anything he seems to be shot confidence wise. Jaksch on the other hand I have always liked from the time he was drafted, I'm certain GWS picked him up knowing he was never likely to get a run with the other KPFs they were picking up but around about now could still be traded for a reasonable draft pick.

I was thinking about the way the team plays nowadays and thought young Brodie Murdock would fit in well. tallish, fast half forward winger type.
Have not seen him in the Saints team this year so unsure if injured or newer players like Dunstan and Billings have gone past him. More than likely the latter, which would be in our favourr.

However, if he was to leave St. Klda I reckon Geelong would be interested in having him join older brother Jordan at the cattery.

What are people's thoughts on Brent Moloney? Obviously on the outer at Brisbane so would wouldn't have to give up anything for him. I have seen him play some top tier games over the years and i think we are still missing one inside midfielder.

Major issue is why cant he get a gig in the worst team in the league. Must be some problems there. Still think it could be worth looking into...

He can't get a game at Brisbane because they're looking at a longterm rebuild, there's not much point giving him another 40 odd games ahead of Robertson, Aish & a few other young developing midfielders.

It'd be the same here only our midfield is pretty much set with Moore, Newton & Young pushing for the opportunity to be the next in line, all of those guys would be ahead of Moloney where we're at right now IMO.

I was saying we needed to look at another inside mid after we shore up the ruck & forward depth but I don't think that's needed when Moore/Newton are both churning out 30+ touches & dominating clearances at SANFL level.

Is there any love out there for Luke Tapscott?
Hard at utility - back, forward mid.
He shouldn't cost us much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would still have a look at Tim Membrey from Sydney, he's way back in the pecking order now. He's an undersized key forward but plays within those limitations and looks to play a Jack Darling type role. Can kick a goal from outside 50.

I wouldn't mind getting Jack Hannath as a back up for Lobbe. He played 12 games last year at Fremantle, but he's behind Sandilands and Clark so he might want more opportunity.

What are people's thoughts on Brent Moloney? Obviously on the outer at Brisbane so would wouldn't have to give up anything for him. I have seen him play some top tier games over the years and i think we are still missing one inside midfielder.

Major issue is why cant he get a gig in the worst team in the league. Must be some problems there. Still think it could be worth looking into...

moloney is very much a type we could use in our midfield. if he was in his prime. but he is past his best, would be fighting for a spot with guys like young, moore and newton.

i still think we look to the draft for a very good stoppage player , moore and newton maybe come on to excel and it becomes less of an issue but there is no harm in drafting a very good one if we see a good one available to us in the draft.

before the start of the season i was saying we were vulnerable from the centre square and the stoppages and people told me i was mad that we have heaps of good clearance mids like ebert. now people are coming around. ebert isnt really an exceptional clearance player he is really a great one on one player which people get confused with a very good clearance player. to be honest robbie gray is our best clearance player as he can win it cleanly out of the centre or a stoppage which is the difference between a decent clearance player and a great clearance player. wines as well is a very good clearance player although he doesnt win as many clean balls out as gray but his body work makes it very hard for the other team to win it out cleanly as well and helps other mids get it cleaner.

Do you think the club (through Nick 'I'm a dirty dirty girl' Stevens) might be looking at Mitch Thorp as a possible rookie at seasons end, if Butch doesn't lift his game?

Might still be a few years until our younger KPF's are ready, so he could potentially step in until they are ready to go?

From what I've seen of Thorp in Glenelg games I can't see the point. He's getting on in football terms, looks slow and has the turning circle of a Class 3 semi.

From what I've seen of Thorp in Glenelg games I can't see the point. He's getting on in football terms, looks slow and has the turning circle of a Class 3 semi.

Yeah he would be 26 at the end of the year? Club could talk with him now... maybe give him some fitness stuff to do, and if he gets up to the standard the club wants him take him as a rookie, give him a full preseason, then he is there for backup if anything should happen. After all a rookie doesn't really cost the club much, and we will have free spots at season end as Mitchell either has be upgraded or dropped (Max 2 yrs on rookie list still applies??).

A player can agree to a third year on the rookie list. Mitchell might prefer to take a punt on getting on a senior list. He's as fit as he's ever going to be.

Thorp's kicked 2 goals in 3 games this year. If he wasn't a former AFL listed player would we even be mentioning him?

A player can agree to a third year on the rookie list. Mitchell might prefer to take a punt on getting on a senior list. He's as fit as he's ever going to be.

Thorp's kicked 2 goals in 3 games this year. If he wasn't a former AFL listed player would we even be mentioning him?

Ok I thought they couldn't go more than 2 yrs... so i guess it would depend on availability then.

Yeah maybe he would be mentioned... but he was pick 6?, and last year by all accounts absolutely destroyed all comers in the Tassy League (not sure of the quality of players there). Give him at least half a season I think before we write him off... and after all it is Glenelg he is playing for. 2 goals is half the whole clubs output this season :p

I really like the idea of Lewis Johnston. I believe he would blossom under Ken and the coaching staff. Out of contract at the end of the year and with Walker on the comeback he would have little opportunities on the horizon. Young Mitch Harvey is more so the future then "the future" at this point in time.

After watching GWS against the Crows I could see them eyeing Mitchell off? GWS have a serious need for outside run and Mitchell seems to be hitting more targets than he has in the past there's a chance he could carve out a career at GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back