Sure signs someone doesn't know anything about footy

Remove this Banner Ad

"MAN UP MAN UP MAN UP"

The holding the ball rule probably isn't a fair one, because I know plenty of people who I believe have pretty good football knowledge but still want the HTB rule to be adjudicated like it was in 1995 and don't understand why it can't be.

Enlighten us why it can't be?

They boo their own team when they kick it backwards to switch the play.

"Just kick it!"

Three seconds later

"Why'd you kick it there?!"

Came here to post these two along with "MAN UP!" when the team is clearly playing a zone. Anyone who goes to games at the Gabba will understand the pain.

As an aside on these, I really think clubs should institute a one-game-a-year seat exchange program where people on the upper level and at ground level swap seats for a game in the hope that:

1. People who normally sit at ground level might learn to appreciate that there is actual strategy to the game in terms of defensive zones and offensive switching of the play as well as appreciating the level of running required in the modern game and the need for a balance between contested and uncontested structures.

2. People who normally sit at the upper level will finally get a chance to hear the sound of bodies crashing into each other and realise that the game is far more gladitorial and physically intense than it appears in abstract from their ivory tower seats, and that the players they criticise as soft are actually putting their body on the line more than they give them credit for and are risking serious injury every time they go near the ball. They might also appreciate that the teammate in space 50 metres away isn't so easy to spot at ground level.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"MAN UP MAN UP MAN UP"

The holding the ball rule probably isn't a fair one, because I know plenty of people who I believe have pretty good football knowledge but still want the HTB rule to be adjudicated like it was in 1995 and don't understand why it can't be.
Sorry but you have the gayest avatar ever.

When they accept pats on the back and congrats from other clowns when the team they follow wins.

Enlighten us why it can't be?

I really don't want to turn this into a holding the ball thread but:

The year is 2002-2005, the team is Sydney. Sydney lead by 4 points. At a stoppage, Sydney park 15 men around the ball. If the ball falls to a Sydney player, they take a tackle (with no prior obviously), then play stacks on and make no effort to get the ball out. If the opposition gets the ball, 5 players tackle him so he can't get the ball out. The ball spends 15 minutes in one small part of the ground.

The rule interpretation is changed so that all that matters is prior opportunity. Now if a ball spills or is dropped in the tackle, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that if a player has prior, they made a genuine attempt to dispose of the football before being tackled, and if the player didn't have prior, he makes a genuine attempt to get rid of the footy after being tackled. The only exceptions to this are that ruckmen at contests and players on the ground are deemed to automatically have had prior if they take possession of the football.

Now the Swans (and their like, the swans in 2014 don't play this style anymore) can't take possession, take a tackle and play stacks on, because the guy with the ball will be punished for no attempt. Incorrect disposal being forgotten means the umpire doesn't have to make a judgement call on whether balls are dropped or spill out in the tackle and overall the game is far more free flowing (because balls spill out or are dropped in the tackle all the time), and therefore the game is faster and moves around more.

Note that players can still be punished for dropping the ball if the umpire deems they had time to make a genuine attempt at disposing of the football and failed to do so (and that is regularly paid).

I'm not saying the rules are always adjudicated correctly, but those are how they are.

The AFL fixtures are fair and equitable and never favour the Collingwood Football Club in any way, shape or form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back