changes for Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure he got a 3 year deal for his last contract, cos he was a real chance of been poached :rolleyes:

Correct.

Contracted until the end of 2014
Shaun Mckernan
Jared Petrenko
Matthew Jaensch
Jarryd Lyons
Sam Shaw
Brodie Martin
Tom Lynch
Angus Graham
Sam Siggins
Rory Atkins
Ben Rutten
Jason Porplyzia
Lewis Johnston
Luke Thompson

Contracted until the end of 2015
Richard Douglas
Scott Thompson
Patrick Dangerfield
Rory Sloane
Taylor Walker
Ricky Henderson
Brent Reilly
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen
Luke Brown
Matthew Wright
Mitchell Grigg
Rory Laird
Sam Kerridge
Andy Otten
David Mackay
James Podsiadly

EDIT: Not sure this list is correct (isn't Mackay contracted until the end of this year?)

Otten had a shocker but the week before I thought he was sensational on Patton after the truck crashed. I thought Gunston was a bad matchup before he got his first goal.

Grigg has to come in. On a night where our kicking was deplorable we need to get someone in who can kick it. He is the best kick in the side outside of Walker (when Tex isn't being lazy).

Tom Lynch is the onlynone we NEED to re sign.

As for the next game its far too early but id say DMac will play and if Crouch has a couple more blinders then he wont be ignored. I dont think anyone is significantly injured but its a good chance to rest guys. Hope Charlie can play next week in the SANFL. Porps will drop out and maybe Thommo if he cant get the hammy right

Martin really..... he was pretty good again IMO. Laird is a bit meh, not awful but not as good as he should be. Otten was disgusting but he gets a chance.

Laird was better as a small defender. I don't think he's currently enjoying his role as 2nd tagger/defensive forward/benchwarmer/guy who vaguely floats around the midfield. Jaensch's renaissance has been great, but not for Laird. I'm starting to wonder whether he's worth having in the side if he's not playing in that back 50.

Laird was better as a small defender. I don't think he's currently enjoying his role as 2nd tagger/defensive forward/benchwarmer/guy who vaguely floats around the midfield. Jaensch's renaissance has been great, but not for Laird. I'm starting to wonder whether he's worth having in the side if he's not playing in that back 50.
This.

If Laird is to play its as a small defender ad nothing else, currently he isnt playing anywhere near where he can be. If we want to play him as a mid/tagger then its best to try someone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I jhavent heard any o[press onference or anything but PKEASe do not ntell be ssando said anything about "MATHEMATICAL IPPPIRTUNITIAL CHANCE" ;;;; PLEASE don't leat him hasve fsaid suc j a thinkg.....

OUT!!!!!

GOODBYE POPRS - I have loved you for a long time and you have been a wondergul sefrvent of the club but uyou have plyed your part and i mena no idisprespet when i say that i hipe i do not see you in AFL Crows colirus agians

RUten - You are a chapming but you we ca rved up tonight and we need to blooed pur next lot of degencfers.... you have taight Talia well land we ll be forever grateful of the servie you have displated and the leadership you have shpwd but your time is up......

OTTTEN - PYLL YOU FINGER OUT YOU SUCKED TONIhth --

THOMMMO!!!! WHAT THE * WERE YOU CALLING YOURSELF FIT IF YOU COULDN"T PLAY 4 ******* @QUarters!!!!!!!!! yuou played well but * me dead you wemnt off injkustre@!!! not good enough! Bring in Crouch JNr

BRING IN LYONS TOO

DOuglas you were shithouse and you fumnled everytime you were near it....

If Otten couldn't match up on Gunston…why?

He is basically the same height, build, pace (though Otten a bit slower). NO EXCUSES…he is simply a B grader smashed by an A grader.

He (and Truck) have been skating through this year playing on secondary forwards who are either C graders or inexperienced. His one decent scalp in Westhoff missed some absolute sitters which would have changed opinions on who won the match-up…Otten got very lucky.

Slow.
Weak for his position.
Falls over.
No rebound.
Can't stick tackles.
Can't handball.

Surely it's Luke Thompson's chance to see if he can do any better.

If Laird is to play its as a small defender ad nothing else, currently he isnt playing anywhere near where he can be. If we want to play him as a mid/tagger then its best to try someone else.

If i was an opposition coach, the moment Laird lined up in defence I'd isolate him close to goal in marking contests…disaster waiting to happen.

Needs a big off-season. He needs to elevate his defensive capabilities to that of Brown or he should be a depth player.

Doesn't have the size, pace or skill to be a top line midfielder unfortunately. His non-chase down the members wing in the last quarter was disgusting. Obviously he must have been stuffed because the effort was un-Laird like.

It's harsh but we have to ask ourselves…who would you prefer in the midfield. Laird or Grigg/Lyons/MCrouch?

Laird actually has defensive capabilities unlike 2 of those 3 guys but all 3 have strengths that outweigh what Rory is bringing at the moment. All 3 could come in at some stage possibly even next game.

Rutten goes out, sorry Truck but that's enough. Tell LT and Harto they have 2 weeks to fight for his spot. Laird misses, Porps is done and possibly one more. Id like to see a new face come in, or Charlie to come back. He probably wont be fit so pick Atkins or Knight.

Be careful guys, people are very defensive about questioning Laird's role in the team............

But I agree with you

I think we really could have done with Cameron last night. They skipped out of defence too easily. Might be underdone, but most said he wasn't ready for his first game as well and look how that turned out.

Mackay for Porps. Kerridge in to go with pendles. Maybe replacing Martin, who hasn't been too bad but is the lesser quality of our mids.

Not sure who Cameron would replace.

Laird is in no man's land in terms of role and position at the moment. Or at least that is how he is playing it. Not in great form and is better suited down back, where he has sound disposal, good tackling and good composure.

Trouble is that Laird has a crap kick. Under pressure it is even worse. Bring in Grigg. At least when he gets the ball he can hit a target. If you are that small you need to have an elite kick and he is not even close to reasonable. Don't think his courage makes up for his deficiencies.

Now is the time of season to rest up Thommo. Get him right for next season. It could be his last season and let's give us and him the best chance of making finals.

Rutten needs a rest.

6 day break, then the split round.

After reading through - most people agree we need to make the changes now ... no need to wait. (In fact it does actually show we should have made them earlier - in hindsight)

I also agree with leaving those who are retiring - should be Rutten / Porps / Reilly - out of the team until the last home game against St Kilda where they can have a Goodbye game ... then we can rest important players if we are sneaking into 8th OR send players off for early surgery if we are not.

If we were in contention for a flag I'd say never give a game to retirees ... but we arent. Let's say seeya to 3 guys that have given us their entire careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back