Review Autopsy vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the massive damage that Gold Coast and GWS have done to our rebuild, tonight was a very sweet victory.

I want to mention Luke Dahlhaus - his willingness to throw himself at contests in the air and on the ground - well, I just bloody love the kid. Notice how the opposition s**t themselves when he goes near the ball. Given his physical limitations, he shouldn't be a good AFL player, but this kid will no doubt become a great AFL player. The spirit of my hero Charlie Sutton lives on in this one. Luke Dahlhaus you gun!

He was playing on the much bigger and stronger Rischitelli most of the night and made him his bitch, really.

Right, my weekly 3 volume dissatation.

I love this team, and I don't say that lightly.

I was so surprised how good we were. GC were tired, so what? They were outplayed, especially in the last quarter.

The best player was clearly Macrae 43 and 2 will get that most weeks :). He is a top shelf, A grade, bona fide star. Lock him up on a 55 year contract now. He kicks softly, but he is silk, he never gets tackled and he kicked well for goal. Jesus - he is Jesus.

Bontempelli wasn't as dominant, but he is also a star. He, Macrae and Libba are going to lead the best midfield going around in a few years. David King, at the start of the season, said he predicted our mids would prove themselves to be the best group in the comp by the end of the year. I think he might have thought about that a bit earlier, but there is no great emerging mid group as them. Bugger me they are good.

Hunter is silk (I've said all along he's the next Dal Santo), Hrovat has more footy smarts in his little finger than most of the comp have in their whole body (but he did bugger up a few kicks tonight), Honeychurch has a real dip and that's the first thing you ask for.

Stringer, oh Stringer. I asked last night could he be our Taylor Walker? He might be better! He has more strings to his bow, he's hard to tackle, as strong as an ox and just gets footy. I said during the week he could be the best of the lot and he certainly has the most x factor about him. He literally could be anything at 6'4" and 100kgs soon.

Minson was terrific tonight. I know he did some things wrong, but how many ruckmen do you know that can ruck as well at the start as at the end of the game? He's not the best ruckman, he's not the most talented, but he's the most competitive, lionhearted player you would ever wish to see.

Murphy was terrific, just terrific tonight. He's had his haters lately, but his drive off half back was unbelievable and his evasiveness was crucial. 3rd best on for me behind Macrae and D. Aylight.

Morris competed so well, I thought he was in for a tough night early and he made some awful decisions when deciding to kick and not handball, but he's as brave as they come.

Easton Wood. I'm the first to admit I was sceptical at the start of the year that we wouldn't see the best of him, but he is playing some seriously good footy. He can run, he doesn't go to ground, he's brave, can mark and play tall and short. Yes please, keep playing in my team!

Sam Darley can kick it and is athletic, but one on one he was turned far too easily. But he is a part of our future as a wingman or rebounding half back.

Roughead, I maintain, will be a star full back. And he will. He cares and he's very good one on one.

Johannisen: His run was very important. He played well. He still made some poor decisions, but he did well. All credit to him for launching small amounts of egg at my face.

Big Jack Redpath: I'll admit, I'm warming to him. He still turns like a bus, he's not much chop below his knees and he's not a ruckman's backside, but his hands are good, he competes and he doesn't mind hurting people - all good traits in a FF. Wouldn't mind seeing Jones next to him though.

Finally, Mitch Wallis. THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY HATERS HERE ON BF. My argument is he is disciplined, smart, tough and concentrates very well. He is going to be so important in the fufutre and he plays like it means something to him. He is a very, very underrated member of the club. Prestia did 2 parts of f*ck all tonight. Well done Mitch.

Selection headaches....what a breath of fresh air

Gia doesn't get back in for mine until the GWS game
Higgins wasn't missed
Honey was absolutely fantastic in his cameo quarter
Didn't really notice Austin so he can't have been too bad
Absolutely Darley and JJ stay

I don't know who to drop....Stevens for smith? And Stevens wasn't even bad
I can't even see cooney getting back in at the moment either

Macca must be doing something right
Hallelujah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably went a bit early on Boyd at half time, I was frustrated :oops:

Definitely still adds a lot but no doubt his errors can really hurt. I just feel with Libba being Libba, Wallis really stepping up in recent weeks and Smith demanding a place we don't have room for him next year.

I went at him too, but he was much better with more space later in the game. Another guy who, in racing parlance, is one paced.

Not a big wallis fan, but he's had 2 excellent games on the trot. Was very good tonight.

I also think tonight showed that griff should play more on the outside when he's back. Jj's run was massive for us tonight and we need more of it. Wallis, Boyd (would still prefer only one of those lads in the team), Libba, Stevens, bonti, Macrae etc can handle the grunt work. Balances the team better with griff running in space

Best part of the win was our young kids absolutely demolished GC's kids. Macrae was an out and out jet BOG by miles, no one could tackle Stringer, Hunter was class, Hrovrat had heaps of the ball even though his disposal wasn't the best, Dahl and Libba fantastic like every week, Wallis extremely impressive and great disposal and thought he played one of his best games for the club, Bonti did some really nice things, JJ was great, Honey good for the qt he played. Honestly was so impressed with all the young kids bar Darley.
Thought he did well apart from the one blunder

Not a big wallis fan, but he's had 2 excellent games on the trot. Was very good tonight.

I also think tonight showed that griff should play more on the outside when he's back. Jj's run was massive for us tonight and we need more of it. Wallis, Boyd (would still prefer only one of those lads in the team), Libba, Stevens, bonti, Macrae etc can handle the grunt work. Balances the team better with griff running in space
Yeah, I've championed this cause for ages. He doesn't need to get his own footy, he can be so much more offensively damaging with his speed on the outside moving forward.

Anyone else notice that after macrea kicked his second goal, he looked very disinterested
No, but I was expecting the bird directed at the coaches box

His post match interview said he got a kick up the arse...don't think he took it too badly. Kudos to the kid for the way he hut back

I liked the look of Redpath aswell, he needs to improve his tank but he has the makings of an AFL player, imo. He'll get rubbed out though, i feel.
What about the knee Murphy dropped into Stringer? Probably not enough force, but of all the things that's "not a good look"....

Given the massive damage that Gold Coast and GWS have done to our rebuild, tonight was a very sweet victory.
Absolutely. It was bloody dreadful watching them get their first few wins over us, however inevitable as the League manufactured things that way. Really disheartening. Then you add the Harbrow scenario and the general arrogance, cockiness they have as a fledgling Club trying to make a name for themselves and things get a bit nasty.

Great to turn the tide back in our favour a bit tonight, this one felt like we stuck it up 'em, just a bit. Won the game and the fight. How good is footy when you get a proper stoush every now and again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back