Game Day Port v Richmond @ Etihad, Round 17 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toddler related update #2: when we left, some bloke started giving us lip for leaving early. Both MrsMeaner and I pointed to our little man. Result: one sheepish lippy bloke.
Toddler privilege boooo

Phil Walsh has to feel some serious heat for mine. Our set ups at stoppages, regardless of whether we win the tap or not, have looked appalling. Opposition teams know they only have to put someone their goal side of a stoppage and they can clear it out. Do all of our players just run forward of centre as the ball is bounced?

the main problem is contested possesion, you fix that and you fix a lot of the problems today, Ben Newton in next week for an extra body at the stoppages. Richmond got it out way to easy today
Has been our problem for a month now - nothing has changed in selection. Newton still sits in the twos while we get smashed in the middle.

Like I kept saying all match, we learnt nothing from last week's loss. Highly similar performance in much better conditions. Because of the lack of marking targets, we consistently over possess at contests to get the clean clearance which just isn't eventuating. Often it results in a turnover from inside the stoppage contest.

Yep. We must be doing so much handball circuit work at training. The boys don't seem to be able to do, or set up for, anything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the main problem is contested possesion, you fix that and you fix a lot of the problems today, Ben Newton in next week for an extra body at the stoppages. Richmond got it out way to easy today
Yep and it seems that some of our guys have been sweating off the contest just expecting us to win clearance since the Sydney game IMO which has lead to the oppo just waltzing the ball out of the middle.

If only Richmond had dropped Rance and Vickery and replaced them with David Bourke.
yeah thats one thing, doesnt explain being out worked and out muscled around the ground, how many tackles did we miss, how many stoppages did they just waltz out of, its been happening for a month now.

I'll put my hand up and say that I thought the last few weeks were a hiccup, but it seems like we can't cope with the pressure of teams hunting us right now. I still think we have the makings of a solid team, but losing Redden, then Renouf, then Trengove and not having the talls who the coaching panel believes will stand up to the pressure is the difference.

Having Redden in the team would allow Lobbe to push forward and be that third tall that we're crying out for. It would also give us another tall target to aim for in kick outs - Lobbe for mine is a great ruck/forward in the mould of Tippett, but asking the guy to do 98% of the game for 23 rounds is ludicrous. Even if we had Renouf for games where we could concede the ruck, like against Adelaide, that would have given him the time to freshen up and recharge. But no, we don't have injuries, remember? As soon as Trengove went down, we were cooked.

This year isn't our year. We knew from the start that everything had to go right for it to be so. Out of all the teams who are in the eight, we are the most vulnerable along with Gold Coast, so sides are always going to target us as a 'scalp'. We don't have the strength and size yet to stand up to one on one contests - it's no surprise that apart from Sydney, every single side has played exactly the same way - one on one defensively and force us to kick to contests under pressure.

Carlile will come back against Melbourne. But it's time to play a guy like Butcher or Shaw or bring in Clurey and allow Westhoff to create another option to goal rather than just the 'empty out the forward line and get the forwards to run into it from midfield' idea that has now been worked out.

But honestly, that doesn't explain losing to Essendon and Richmond. You guys can bang on about structures all you like, it's got nothing to do with it, and everything to do with players who can't handle the pressure of being under pressure each week. Hinkley at the start of the year said to the playing group 'Ok, how much do you want to stay up the top?' Well, it's clear that it's become all too hard for guys like Westhoff, Ebert, Hartlett and Wingard. Boak is the only one who is playing to the level of a top four team. Polec gets a pass mark because it's his first year in the system, and Wines was immense in the first couple of months and is entitled to second year blues. But those three need to pull their fingers out and realize that IT'S NOT GOING TO GET ******* EASIER. You can jump the competition with your tactics once, but soon people will work it out, and then everyone will ape that. You think Hardwick has a clue how to beat Port Adelaide? Do you think he's a better coach than Hinkley? Cause I don't. Roos worked it out for everyone, and guys like Thompson and Sanderson just copied his playbook.

That being said - I believe in the direction this team is going. I think there is a greater agenda at play here than winning games for an unlikely shot at premiership glory. If this is what it takes for these guys to realize that they have to be switched on every week and can't expect someone else to do it for them, then I'm all for learning said lessons.

yeah thats one thing, doesnt explain being out worked and out muscled around the ground, how many tackles did we miss, how many stoppages did they just waltz out of, its been happening for a month now.

I posted about it earlier.

If the midfielders' work is rewarded the numbers fix themselves.

Yep and it seems that some of our guys have been sweating off the contest just expecting us to win clearance since the Sydney game IMO which has lead to the oppo just waltzing the ball out of the middle.
This is definitely happening. I was saying this to my family during the whole game. They just seem to hang off that tiny bit expecting us to win the ball but it doesn't happen it bites us hard.

Players that Shouldn't be playing in the AFL:
Mitchell, Gray, impey, Young, Pittard

Players who would be lucky to keep there spots:
Westhoff, Wingard, Ebert, Hombsch, O'shea, Polec, Broadbent

Pittard was one of our best the last 2 weeks and overall is having a good year. I hate his clangers as much as anyone but keep some perspective. And Imp is a first year player who may well finish in the top 5 in Rising Star. Calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back