FedEXFalls

Losing makes you grow
Apr 25, 2011
A few years ahead
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Melbourne Ice
Season is well and truly up and running, thought I'd make a thread for any possible discussion.

Went to my first game tonight to watch the Ice v Mustangs, took 3 friends along who know absolutely nothing about Ice Hockey and we all had a blast. We've already been trying to decide on the next games we're going to.

I'm an Ice fan, but they've all decided to follow the Mustangs mostly due to them seeming like the underdog team of Melbourne. Which is going to be great for deciding on what games we go to :rolleyes:

Game was 8-3 Mustangs way, they just continuously got on breakaways and stole a shorthanded goal right as the Ice started to get some momentum.

Gibbs from the Mustangs is a character, scored a ripper goal as well. Both teams fans clapped their teams off the ice at the end which was great. I'm hoping there isn't too big of a rivalry between the two teams as I'd rather them work together to grow themselves and the sport.

Anyone been to or thinking about going to any games this season? Apparently the next Melbourne derby is on a Thursday at 5:00 pm... Shocking time.

I would, but there's no QLD team anymore.:( Used to go to the Brisbane Bluetongues games years ago when I worked in Brisbane. Was a hell of a lot of fun.

Don't really know those specifics to be honest.. Everything seemed pretty standard to me as an NHL follower.. I think periods 1 and 2 are 15mins and period 3 is 20 mins.

That's the only potential difference I spotted, wasn't paying much attention though as I was just taking in being at my first ice hockey game.

Each team is allowed 6 import players with 4 only allowed to play per game.

They're about to show a game on Fox Sports 3 after the NYR v LA finishes. Should be on at 1 pm if there's no OT.

Yepp both the Mustangs and Ice use the Icehouse for their home games. The Ice have their championship banners hanging as well.

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

North Stars and Adrenaline need to update their logos.

Most likely heading into to watch the Mustangs vs Bears today at the Icehouse with my Mustangs supporting friends.

Tickets for playoffs go on sale monday I'm pretty sure. I'll be grabbing some.

Some weird Identity changes over the years.

Adelaide -- Avalanche - A's - Adrenaline
Mustangs IHC - Melbourne Mustangs
*Macquarie Bears - Sydney Bears* -AIHL Bears - Sydney Bears
Canberra Knights
Western Sydney Ice Dogs - Sydney Ice Dogs
Blue Haven Rhinos - Central coast Rhinos
*Newcastle Red Wings* - Newcastle North Stars
Brisbane Blue Tongues - Gold coast Blue Tongues

Saw a number of Perth Thunder jerseys at the USA v Canada game. The Perth Ice Arena is way too far north for me to get along to though. Maybe as a one-off some day.

The arena for the Perth International game looked sick with all the seats. If only the AIHL could pull crowds warranting an arena like that.

Went and watched the Mustangs absolutely destroy the Sydney Bears today. My mates and I were literally inches away from being cleaned up by a stray puck that flew under the netting above the glass.

Bourke from the Mustangs scored a hat trick. The Mustangs always manage to pull breakaways out of their asses (well from the two games I've seen at least :p ). It is frustrating to watch when I want them to lose so badly.

The Melb Ice got pushed down to 5th due to the Sydney Ice Dogs beating Canberra today. We still have a game in hand which is tomorrow against the Bears. If we don't win that then we don't deserve to be in the top 4 at this point in time anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah one of my friends specifically refused to follow the Ice as "They're logo/colours etc look too much like a soccer team"

Yeah one of my friends specifically refused to follow the Ice as "They're logo/colours etc look too much like a soccer team"

I've done this with the Melbourne Tigers - United team.

I followed Brisbane Blue Tongues before they moved but i like the Perth Thunder set up.

I don't blame you re: The Melb Tigers. Has to be one of the worst decisions I have seen a sporting organization make.

The Melbourne Ice won 10-1 against the Sydney Bears today. Whilst I'm happy for the team, thrashings like that are certainly not good for the league.

Hopefully the Blue Tongues come back in 2015, which is what they are apparently aiming for.

I don't blame you re: The Melb Tigers. Has to be one of the worst decisions I have seen a sporting organization make.

The Melbourne Ice won 10-1 against the Sydney Bears today. Whilst I'm happy for the team, thrashings like that are certainly not good for the league.

Hopefully the Blue Tongues come back in 2015, which is what they are apparently aiming for.

It might not be good, but the local crowd would have loved it.

Bad news, the Adelaide team bus crashed, no reports of serious injuries that I've been able to find, but still not good news.

Bad news, the Adelaide team bus crashed, no reports of serious injuries that I've been able to find, but still not good news.
It will be interesting to see whether the two missed fixtures can be made up or if forfeits will apply? The possibility of a double points game is in there too. It has happened in the past. With so much riding for both CBR and Adelaide it will be fascinating to see how the decision goes.
Also the weekend saw Newcastle screaming about bad officiating in Melbourne from 2 different referees. Certainly on Sunday the Referee was bad but it did go both ways at times and confused the big crowd.
For those that have visited Newcastle over many years and been destroyed by a particular home town referee I can only say "what goes around comes around".
Refereeing again is the biggest blot on this league and with a number of eligible officials banned from Refereeing because of internal politics it is little wonder that they come in for such criticism.

Watched Adelaide vs Sydney yesterday, Adelaide cruised to an 8-1 victory, the only reason the score wasn't higher was the awful one-sided refereeing against Adelaide with Adrenaline players paraded to the penalty box every few minutes for chincy/non-existent infractions. They did score two short-handed goals. Sydney had numerous power-plays including a very length 5-3 but couldn't trouble the twine.

Was interested to see how Alex Steen's brother went with the Bears, Sean, quite anonymous, I noticed he hasn't played any notable hockey since the Manitoba Junior League in 2010.

Sydney a woeful outfit.

I'm hoping there isn't too big of a rivalry between the two teams as I'd rather them work together to grow themselves and the sport.

IMO, a strong rivalry would help the sport a great deal!

When you get booted from the game for fighting there isn't too much to work with outside of a bit of niggle.

The league hasn't been able to re-schedule the cancelled games from earlier in the year so each team that had a game cancelled is going to get a point per game.

"The AIHL Commission has also decided to award each team one point for the cancelled games. Adelaide Adrenaline was awarded one point for game #77 and one point for game #79. CBR Brave was awarded one point for game #77. Sydney Bears was awarded one point for game #79."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back