All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club,Chicago Bulls
G'day guys,

I'm an A Class electrician with over ten years experience in the commercial/industrial construction industry. I last worked in March this year for Stowe Australia before I was made redundant at the end of the job, i then Went on to travel in Europe for a few months and hoped that I wouldn't have had a problem finding work when I got back. That hasn't been the Case, and I have been on the job trail since September with absolutely no success, it is frustrating!!!

Is there any sparkies on here that can give me some advice? Do you know of any companies hiring at the moment? I'm getting pretty desperate, any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

G'day guys,

I'm an A Class electrician with over ten years experience in the commercial/industrial construction industry. I last worked in March this year for Stowe Australia before I was made redundant at the end of the job, i then Went on to travel in Europe for a few months and hoped that I wouldn't have had a problem finding work when I got back. That hasn't been the Case, and I have been on the job trail since September with absolutely no success, it is frustrating!!!

Is there any sparkies on here that can give me some advice? Do you know of any companies hiring at the moment? I'm getting pretty desperate, any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Sorry I can't help you out here, i'm also looking for advice. I Have a friend who is a fully qualified tradesmen enrolling in a pre-app elec course as a mature age student next year (25+). What are his prospects of getting an apprenticeship in the field in Melbourne?

Sorry I can't help you out here, i'm also looking for advice. I Have a friend who is a fully qualified tradesmen enrolling in a pre-app elec course as a mature age student next year (25+). What are his prospects of getting an apprenticeship in the field in Melbourne?

I'd say he'd have a decent enough chance on a start next year, he should start applying now to group training mobs such as Frontline, 370 degrees group, apprenticeships victoria etc. Both Frontline and 370 degrees are apparently loading up in preparation for the upcoming boom in construction next year, so definitely tell him to apply asap.

A Pre-app is almost a minimum requirement these days but i reckon with his previous trade background he has as good a chance as any to snag an apprenticeship without completing it, thats not saying don't do it, definitely do it, just he may find himself in before it ends. Spewin' he missed the annual NECA aptitude test held at the end of every October, thats generally how you snag a job directly with the bigger contractors depending on your results.

Some Companies he should look at are:

Stowe Australia
Downer EDI
Pacific Services Group (Elecraft)
Nilsen Electrics
Eascom electrical
KLM Group

Good luck!!

I'd say he'd have a decent enough chance on a start next year, he should start applying now to group training mobs such as Frontline, 370 degrees group, apprenticeships victoria etc. Both Frontline and 370 degrees are apparently loading up in preparation for the upcoming boom in construction next year, so definitely tell him to apply asap.

A Pre-app is almost a minimum requirement these days but i reckon with his previous trade background he has as good a chance as any to snag an apprenticeship without completing it, thats not saying don't do it, definitely do it, just he may find himself in before it ends. Spewin' he missed the annual NECA aptitude test held at the end of every October, thats generally how you snag a job directly with the bigger contractors depending on your results.

Stowe Australia
Downer EDI
Nilsen Electrics
Eascom electrical
KLM Group

Good luck!!

Thanks for your advice, is it harder to get back in for yourself at the moment because you are already fully qualified or just the wrong time of the year? Fingers crossed something pops up for you mate.

Thanks for your advice, is it harder to get back in for yourself at the moment because you are already fully qualified or just the wrong time of the year? Fingers crossed something pops up for you mate.

It's definitely wrong time of year really, from all reports though the industry is in for a massive boost come Feb/Mar next year, just would prefer i get something in the short term. I remain optimistic i'll snag something starting next year. As far as apprenticeships go though, right now is the time to get on it, all companies recruit now for the following year start, hope your mate gets lucky!!

It's definitely wrong time of year really, from all reports though the industry is in for a massive boost come Feb/Mar next year, just would prefer i get something in the short term. I remain optimistic i'll snag something starting next year. As far as apprenticeships go though, right now is the time to get on it, all companies recruit now for the following year start, hope your mate gets lucky!!

I'm hoping it picks up for you by then, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't until a little later in the year (Jun-July 14). We have had a lean 18-24 months but have recently started to pick up a lot of work - mainly out of Queensland though, but it is starting to look up in Victoria. We are currently putting on more staff across the eastern states to handle our current backlog of work and to prepare for an upswing in the market.

I've hit a brick wall and am looking into doing a mature age apprentice.
Would really like to get in with a big contractor with the union so my wage wouldn't suffer too much. Don't really know where to look so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

G'day mate, see above for a short list of the major contractors operating in Melbourne, all major projects are usually done by one of them. Other Union EBA contractors i can think of off the top of my head are:

-Aardvark Electrical
-Ladd Electrics
-Sielox Security
-Desa Australia
-QA Electrical

And countless others, get in contact with the ETU (Electrical Trades Union) if you want more info. Generally as a rule none of those companies usually employ apprentices who haven't sat the NECA (National Electrical Contractors Association) exam which is held once a year at sometime in October, and a Pre-Apprenticeship course that you can do at any TAFE colledge.

My recommendation is that you absolutely must complete a Pre-App these days as it's like a minimum requirement, and if you can, try and do the NECA test in Oct next year. That all being said, it's not impossible to get a spot without but you definitely will enhance your chances.
Another avenue is Group training companies:

-370 Degrees Group and
-Frontline Group Training

Both these companies are also EBA and lone their appentices to all EBA contractors. Again, a Pre-App is usually a minimum.

Unfortunately i couldn't see anyone taking you on now for the start of 2014 as the have probably already done the intake for the year, but that shouldn't stop you from at least trying. Group Training do intakes at multiple times throughout the year.

Hope thats what you were looking for and good luck trying to score your apprenticeship!!

G'day mate, see above for a short list of the major contractors operating in Melbourne, all major projects are usually done by one of them. Other Union EBA contractors i can think of off the top of my head are:

-Aardvark Electrical
-Ladd Electrics
-Sielox Security
-Desa Australia
-QA Electrical

And countless others, get in contact with the ETU (Electrical Trades Union) if you want more info. Generally as a rule none of those companies usually employ apprentices who haven't sat the NECA (National Electrical Contractors Association) exam which is held once a year at sometime in October, and a Pre-Apprenticeship course that you can do at any TAFE colledge.

My recommendation is that you absolutely must complete a Pre-App these days as it's like a minimum requirement, and if you can, try and do the NECA test in Oct next year. That all being said, it's not impossible to get a spot without but you definitely will enhance your chances.

-370 Degrees Group and

Both these companies are also EBA and lone their appentices to all EBA contractors. Again, a Pre-App is usually a minimum.

Unfortunately i couldn't see anyone taking you on now for the start of 2014 as the have probably already done the intake for the year, but that shouldn't stop you from at least trying. Group Training do intakes at multiple times throughout the year.

Hope thats what you were looking for and good luck trying to score your apprenticeship!!

Sensational mate. Much appreciated!

-Aardvark Electrical
-Ladd Electrics
-Sielox Security
-Desa Australia
-QA Electrical

-370 Degrees Group and

Aardvark, what a joke!

Being a A class electrician, you are applicable for many big industrial projects that are sponsored from multinational companies. Along with that your experience will be counted for good promotion and salary, so for details you can navigate here Jobs Melbourne Australia.

Word is, Apps have a buttload of work on at the moment, maybe give them a call.

Cheers mate, might give them a shot. Have been working for a shitty smaller mob on casual which has been better than nothing but just waiting for an opportunity to get back on with a major. I've got a pretty solid chance of starting with Downer at the Peter Mac Cancer centre within the next couple of months, just a waiting game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day guys,

Cheers

Good old Stowe, I've worked with them on a few projects. Yeah I'd look at the big ones like Downer, Nilsen etc, Stowe are large as well and you should be a good chance.

Stowe Australia
Downer EDI
Nilsen Electrics
Eascom electrical
KLM Group

Good luck!!

They went bust last month or so didn't they?

Good old Stowe, I've worked with them on a few projects. Yeah I'd look at the big ones like Downer, Nilsen etc, Stowe are large as well and you should be a good chance.

They went bust last month or so didn't they?

Yeah mate, they sure did, this post was from all the way back about Oct last year though.

Been working for a smaller mob recently, only on casual though, it pays well enough but i'll be looking to get back on with a major, i've got some solid contacts that should see me working either back with Stowe or jumping on board with Downer in a couple of months.

Hey guys any one know anyone looking to hire an electrical apprentice? Or know any specific companies that are good? Emailed a heap of them etc

It's doom I'm trying soooo hard
Done my pre app, white card, got my license and a vehicle

hey guys just wondering if anyone on here know of any electrical company in construction is hiring? please let me know.

Most of the big ones are reverse hiring if you know what I mean, you might struggle I'd suggest.
Yeah I know it's quite.. I might try my hand at something else for the mean time. I have my own work but it's drying up aswell so looking ahead of time.. Ppl are saying August.. But we shall see I guess.

Anyone know any commercial companies hiring in Melbourne at the moment? 4th year apprentice here. cheers

Just to let people know I own a company that employs 8 electricians. Im not one of the big the boys but i do get on some pretty cool commercial projects which you would classify as small to medium. Also dabble in domestic which is always great for learning on.

Im not employing at the moment but feel free to PM me whenever and depending on timing who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back