Clarkson highly critical of North and Petrie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sons_of_a_Gun

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I couldn't find another thread on this which i was shocked about, but i was more shocked at what i heard from Clarkson on 'On the Couch' tonight. Speaking about the Lake/Petrie incident, He said that he was disappointed in both North and Drew Petrie for how they handled the media after the incident and in the lead up to the tribunal case. In my opinion, and this has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Geelong supporter, I'm not a hater like some, I thought it was very poor from Clarkson to call out North and Petrie like that. I don't know what he expects them to do, just ignore the Media all together? Why should North players and the coach just ignore Media commitments because someone from the opposition has done something wrong. I could imagine Brad Scott would be seething after hearing that?

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

dbc.gif

He included himself, Hawthorn and the AFL as having handled it poorly too.

In days gone by, they'd virtually have a media blackout for tribunal cases. All the people involved weren't allowed to talk about it publicly and the various media outlets weren't allowed to show any vision of it until the case had been heard.

No big deal in what he said.

I couldn't find another thread on this which i was shocked about, but i was more shocked at what i heard from Clarkson on 'On the Couch' tonight. Speaking about the Lake/Petrie incident, He said that he was disappointed in both North and Drew Petrie for how they handled the media after the incident and in the lead up to the tribunal case. In my opinion, and this has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Geelong supporter, I'm not a hater like some, I thought it was very poor from Clarkson to call out North and Petrie like that. I don't know what he expects them to do, just ignore the Media all together? Why should North players and the coach just ignore Media commitments because someone from the opposition has done something wrong. I could imagine Brad Scott would be seething after hearing that?

Thoughts?

Did you miss some of it ?

In days gone by, they'd virtually have a media blackout for tribunal cases. All the people involved weren't allowed to talk about it publicly and the various media outlets weren't allowed to show any vision of it until the case had been heard.

I think his point is that the media play far bigger roles in determining the outcomes of MRP/tribunal headings than is fair. Ultimately it's just another example of why the MRP/tribunal are too adhoc in their findings, if there was more consistency the impact of the media would be lessened.

That's said Lake deserved everything he got in terms of suspension.

I don't think he is out of place at all.

The AFL is transmogrifying from a sport into an entertainment industry. Outcomes are manufactured to appease the masses. If players or staff appear victimised in the media they can win the support of the people, and if they win the support of the people they essentially win the support of the MRP.

Well said. Yes the OP missed a couple of other crucial parts of the conversation........does he write for the Herald Sun??

He made a good point that the tribunal should have been brought forward to Sunday to get it over and done with. Not sure why we can't have the MRP sit all over the weekend and respond to incidents as soon as possible.

As always, Clarko was honest enough to give himself and his club a clip too when needed re: their handling of it too.

I don't think he is out of place at all.

The AFL is transmogrifying from a sport into an entertainment industry. Outcomes are manufactured to appease the masses. If players or staff appear victimised in the media they can win the support of the people, and if they win the support of the people they essentially win the support of the MRP.

Yep, Media got Viney off (rightfully so too mind you), Media got Lake the level of suspension he got. Every media outlet was talking about 4 weeks etc etc, and not surprisingly, it's what he got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Media got Viney off (rightfully so too mind you), Media got Lake the level of suspension he got. Every media outlet was talking about 4 weeks etc etc, and not surprisingly, it's what he got.

Exactly. It's just good business. It's a shame it's going this way but it's the cold reality of it.

Outcomes are conjured up by the inner-cogs of the AFL to maximize revenue. Appease massers = less detractors of the game = more $$$$$

Didn't see it, but if he was saying that no-one should have been talking in the media about about it, I'd agree with him. North and Petrie couldn't have been more publicly supportive of Lake between the game and the hearing, when it was ridiculous that they were saying anything.

Didn't see it, but if he was saying that no-one should have been talking in the media about about it, I'd agree with him. North and Petrie couldn't have been more publicly supportive of Lake between the game and the hearing, when it was ridiculous that they were saying anything.

Stupid thing is, if you are fronting a real court, you can't comment on the case in the media, yet you can with the tribunal.

No qualms about Petrie doing the media, and you are right, he did try and play it down and support Lake, but really, he shouldn't have commented on it at all. No one should.

Hawthorn player Lake is responsible for his own actions, as the coach of Hawthorn Clarkson should be concerned about what his players do not what opposition players say to the media. His actions are what earned him his 4 weeks not media comments.

But that's his point, if everyone involved stfu until after the hearing we wouldn't have the circus, and it would be better for everyone (including your club) going forward. Clarkson's is talking about the bigger picture, and he is right.

It was handled poorly all round and exacerbated by the media and this is also what Mick was trying to make a point of - he just went about it the wrong way.

Lake deserved a suspension for his brain fade but he certainly didn't deserve to be hung, quartered and drawn the way he was - it was disgraceful by all concerned

It is getting to the point where the media is stepping in and influencing the AFL far too much, not just in tribunal decisions but on other fronts. You'll hear them say things like, "He should get x weeks for that," or "No, nothing in that," when the tribunal view might be completely different. At times I think the AFL gets sucked in to taking the view of the media when handing down verdicts. "If we're not harsh then it won't be good for the game," or "X player is an important ambassador for the game, so his penalty should be X weeks or none at all."

I'm not defending Brian in any way here. My point is regarding the media and its pervasiveness. Seriously, talking tactics with players and coaches at quarter breaks? Becoming a circus...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back