Nathan Wright Sponsorship - Event Monday 21 July, 2014 6:00pm – 9:00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Never fear brave sportsfans, I am home and rested from the event and it has had time to sink in. So without much need, skip the next part if you just want the event stuff.

So I drove in from work otherwise I would have been 30min to an hour late as there were disruptions on the train line as wwll. Bonus! As this was a rush job, I then double checked the route before I left work, kissed a bald fat guys head and drove to the MCG, missing 2 turn offs, doubling back and getting there with no real problems as it was simply stuck in the next lane over at any splits. I then boxed for a park, 2hr was the most I saw and then got shafted with the ticket since it counted the 2 hour at 5:30 instead of letting me set a time. The machine also ate my money so that was a thing. Met Boydie who prancied about how he found a 4 hr park that ended at 6:30pm, debated quickly ducking out but figured it'd be pointless as I could probably just leave early since I doubted we would be doing much in the ways of activity TBH. Midway through in a lull, and with the thanks of the club, I was able to move my car underneath the G and basically park where they all parked. I then decided in my infinite wisdom to google map the phone and backroad home, promptly got lost and ended up having to toll road it out of there. Woot to driving in Melbourne for the first time!

Anywho, we were let in early, when I rocked up the first time to check gate 3 it was closed but Boydie must have the midas touch since it was open when he called to ask where I was (which was in my car as I was cold) we mingled in the foyer outside the Olympic room, the players banded together as they always do, circle work around phones to avoid prying eyes and anyone getting singled out, we then pre-empted the beginning of the ushering inside and started to move inside.

The first time we get nametags and Boydie hogs both of them to himself, despite him not actually being on anything sent to the club. Forget the midas touch, the bloke is cursed and the club shall never know I exist now!

Some drinks, hors d'oeuvres and Boydie wrangling Blake Acres to chat about basketball and some of the players and where everyone was situated house wise, where they wanted /planned to be (sch as Saunders living with his cousin atm), we were then ushered to our tables, which once again were back corner nearest the door away from everyone else, however Nate was next to us to yay to having a player around finally. Introductions we chatted some, I admittedly didn't say much because I was buggered having been up at 4am, but Boydie can fill you all in on the content of the conversations and basically the only things we did during the night were as follows;

Put on an apron.
Look at a paper hat.
Discard the paper hat.
Put the paper hat on for the chance to win s**t.
Construct an abomination intended to be a gingerbread christmas tree.
Twiddle thumbs and chat.

I left after construction to shift my car, when I did return, Boydie had managed to also chat up Spence, meanwhile I had the epiphany that bloke I was trying to recognise was Delaney and Spence left to other endeavours, such as the continuing service of foodstuffs. (which was also the favourite of Bruce and Stanley who might as well have had their very own waiter) some chatting with Nate, he then did as many of the boys do after the event stuff happens and congregate with the rest of the boys like the start of the night, so Boydie promtply social media'd his attempt at a tree. We then had a brief chat with Sherlock (by brief I mean they talked cars and I have NFI about cars) who was actually driving a few boys in a magna which I happened to be behind when leaving and he looked unco as s**t in the drivers seat if it was him. And I've not much else to say really because I got home and fell asleep on the couch then was almost late to work this morning, so, yeah, over to you Boydie who will remember many more things of worth such as the spoken words of the players.

I will say that when leaving Boydie did almost get hip and shouldered by Rooey breezing past us. I so would have whipped out the camera for that. :p And we remarked about a woman doing the rounds with the players, typical short skirt, long eyelashes. HAS SHE NO SHAME!

I also now have an apron denoting my masterclass in saints colours.

Once again StFly has covered off on most of the activities on the night but I will eleaborate a little on conversations with the players we managed to wrangle for a quick chat.

Blakey Acres - As I know he was a Pacers fan like myself it was easy to get his attention and get him over for a chat. He, like me bit disappointed with Lance leaving the Pacers, but happy with the couple of signings we have got. Footy wise he is just trying to get the body right but is available after our AFL/VFL draw weekend I think, so he is hoping to play VFL well enough to try and get into AFL by end of the year. From out initial meeting at the PreSeason launch event, he seems to have filled out a little, didnt seem as skinny but maybs my memory not the best!
Blake is living with a host family right near club in Seaford but looking to move in with someone next year, cant remember who now.

Nath Wright - Always good for a bit of a chat even though he gives some 1 word answers at times!
Wasnt happy with his game on Sunday as Sandy got smashed and didnt feel he was in best form, extremely keen to get into the 1s and I think from what he said Richo sees him in the best 22 or at least 25 when fit and healthy, but he didnt actually say those words!
Said Hayes is the overall fittest player at the club, Gears is best time trial by far and Rhys has the bench press title at present.
YEah took a pic of his Gingerbread creation, can find it here I think.... http://extragr.am/boydie_84#imageid-769385274629899717_195953792

Spence "the great" White "Hope" - came over to have a chat to Nath so I struck up a conversation with him, gotta bit of sore ankle from the weekend and a hot spot in other foot or something, but should be back after bye round. Think he is keen to get a seniors game this year but has to wait and see as hasnt been promised too him or anything from what I could gather.
Is a big kid when your standing next to him and I am 6foot and a fraction so by no means short!

Had quick chat to Holmesy bout how he went on Sunday, ankle just rolled, will be back after bye round.
Kid is driving a shite old magna, told him to get an imported Escalade or something but might be a bit pricey for a rookie listed player!

Think thats about it...
Oh yeah Roo nearly took me out on the way out, wasnt stopping for anyone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back