Mega Thread Buckley coaching mega thread volume II

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
We were at the peak of our powers the day we killed North Melbourne by the record 110+ points in the wet on the MCG in 2011 about half way in to the season, so I'd say we flying half way though what would've been the 10,11,12 dynasty.
I've never seen a team greater than the one than ran out that day in the wet. The skills on display in the wet were the best I've ever seen.
2011 we came 2nd and were beaten by the same team 3 times to prove they were better twice by large margins. We were the 2nd best team. Who cares? Runner up is the 1st loser.

Re: 2012' do you think Luke Ball and Darren Jolly were critical to ultimately winning the 2010 flag. Do you think Alan Didak, in an All Australian year, was a highly valued contributor to the 2010 flag ? Who would you have played as the back up ruck/3rd tall forward in 2012 ? Pointless comparing to 2011 where we were 2nd best, just compare to our flag year.

If the players loved Malthouse so much, why did they get smashed in their last ever 1/4 with him as senior coach?

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Mick's shyness in not expressing his true feelings at the time of agreeing to the succession plan ultimately cost him his job and negatively impacted the team. Got to feel for a guy who's been battling such demons for thirty years and still managed to overcome these fears every time he had a microphone thrust into his presence.

And when you think back to the time of the agreement when Eddie bullied him into agreeing to the so-called plan.... and there he was.... all he wanted to do was to coach the team to premiership. I think we have to be eternally grateful to Mick that he didnt marshall the troops and get the team to rebel against Eddie's decision. It could have split the club..... It makes you realise just how much loyalty he has been to our club...

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
THATSGOLD , I found this little beauty of yours from 2011 after Malthouses appearance on TFS

Re: Mick Malthouse Asks: What's My Job?

So two people want the same job.. Is Micks ego that big that he can't be the assistant to Bucks ala Hird/Thompson at the Bombers.. The timing of that interview was utter crap too.

Doesn't sound like you were too confident in the old fella back then. I assume you were fully against the succession plan in 2009? I'm sure we could dig out something for you.

I've got a theory about why Mick and Eddie / CFC had a falling out.

It goes like this ...

Eddie / CFC allowed Mick to exit his employment contract with a one year non-compete clause.

Meanwhile Eddie / CFC went and hired Rodney Eade for a senior role at the club.

The club emphasised at the time that Eade ***WAS NOT*** being given Mick's Director of Coaching role, it was a different role.

Would Eade be doing anything different to what Malthouse would have? Sure, no two people do a job the same way - but was the essence of what Eade's role different?

It seems like a curious and deliberate act by the club to give Eade a different job title.

Why would they do that?

Maybe because if they didn't, Malthouse's legal team could argue that Collingwood had filled the role, and had not been materially disadvantaged by him backing out of the contract. And specifically, not fulfilling an employment role he never started.

So, if this is the case, Mick may feel that Collingwood used a technicality (by giving Eade a different job title) to force him sit out on the sidelines for a year. Mick probably felt that after 12 years of loyal service, he deserved better treatment than that.

What do the lawyers out there think? Plausible? (DaVe86 ?)

rustyg70

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2011
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wasn't Rocket bought in as assistant coach to Bucks?
An experience coach who Bucks could bounce ideas off.
MM would have been Director of Coaching, meaning that he would sit down with all of the assistant coaches and discuss what has been said/ what needs to be done.
He would then relay his thoughts to Bucks, who would have the final say.
Once MM reneged on his contract, Eade was elevated to the position.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Manic Magpie

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
We have lost a heap of experienced players since our win in 2010.
I can't see how anyone can try to compare our current side with the Premiership side, or even the 2011 side.
It will be interesting how the Hawks and Cats go when they lose their aging players.

Cats:
Enright, Bartell, Johnson, Kelly, Lonergan, Mackie, Stokes, Rivers, Macintosh, will all be 30 or over at the end of this year.

Hawks:
Lake, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Sewell, Gibson, Hale, Hodge will all be 30 or over at the end of this season.

We have Hudson, Lynch, Maxwell, Ball and Swan in that bracket at the moment.
Out of our 5, Two were never going to realistically play senior footy this year, 1 has retired and one has been playing with an injury for most of the season.
Our 30 and over players just lie down and die while those of other teams motor on forever. We have not done very well with our older players in recent years.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
THATSGOLD , I found this little beauty of yours from 2011 after Malthouses appearance on TFS

Doesn't sound like you were too confident in the old fella back then. I assume you were fully against the succession plan in 2009? I'm sure we could dig out something for you.
I was pissed off the whole charade was going to bring down our 2011 flag chance. It did that.
It wrecked Mick. I was pissed off he went on the show that night but what pisses me off more now is why it even got to that. We were never fully in control of the situation but we had a coach and team that were successful ok the field.

Jonno94

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Right, and from there?

I hope you realise it is nigh on impossible to stay up for very long. We finished top 4 for 4 years in a row FFS. Apart from Geelong, name another side who has recently done that?
Hawthorn makes it 4 this year.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Had Malthouse not been so unsettled nearing the end of 2011 we would have won 10,11,12. I have no doubt about that. The unsettling of the him unsettled the whole side. There was even a petition from some of the players to keep him.

You are delusional. Yes 10 and 11 were possible but only the manufactured Lions have been able to put together three in a row in living memory. Over 10 and the first half of 11 you clearly developed an unrealistic expectation and you now feel cheated because it did not happen. How you had 'no doubt' is beyond me. It defies both logic and history.

Now all of your negativity makes perfect sense. It's founded on a delusion.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
You are delusional. Yes 10 and 11 were possible but only the manufactured Lions have been able to put together three in a row in living memory. Over 10 and the first half of 11 you clearly developed an unrealistic expectation and you now feel cheated because it did not happen. How you had 'no doubt' is beyond me. It defies both logic and history.

Now all of your negativity makes perfect sense. It's founded on a delusion.
We were a Qrt off winning the flag in 11 and a game off making it in 12. Hardly delusion. With all the unsettling off field fair effort but it effected us like it or not.

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
We were a Qrt off winning the flag in 11 and a game off making it in 12. Hardly delusion. With all the unsettling off field fair effort but it effected us like it or not.
I like you as a poster, but no way were we a qtr off winning 2011.

We had lost to the cats twice before gf. Then mick completely fckd up the gf.

For a man as supposedly proud as himself, he was the only reason we blew 2011. Due to his sheer stubborness.

If he didn't want the succession plan, he should have said something before he agreed to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mame

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2011
Allover
AFL Club
Collingwood
Without lifting a finger.
Rubbish. We peaked too early. And we didn't need to finish top. Sending a full strength outfit to Perth in the wet late in the year was just dumb. We ended up getting Hawks in the prelim who'd rested players in the last round. They beat us up while Geelong waltzed in to the GF against the Eagles at the G.

Malthouse took us from a flag to runners up. A downward trajectory. It's just fact. Would have won 10, 11 and 12 my arse. Didak was shot in '11.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I like you as a poster, but no way were we a qtr off winning 2011.

We had lost to the cats twice before gf. Then mick completely fckd up the gf.

For a man as supposedly proud as himself, he was the only reason we blew 2011. Due to his sheer stubborness.

If he didn't want the succession plan, he should have said something before he agreed to it.
We lost to the Cats twice before the GF but Pendlebury was robbed in the first one which cost us the game. We basically had their measure that night.
Malthouses last game as coach was the end of an era as far as making Grand finals is concerned for mine. Buckleys greatest chance was in 2012 with Micks team who would've had us there for another GF IMO.
Buckley defensively is poor Micks biggest strength for us over the years was setting up the defense. Buckley has shown time and time again against the Hawks he wants to engage in a shoot out, doesn't slow down momentum, the reason I have no faith in him ever taking us to the holy grail. He comes across as a dumb coach who is not learning.

Last edited:

Actually, I think you just gave a pretty good example of the definition of delusional.

Well now you've quoted and bolded that, how so?

If you think that retaining Mick would have made any difference to the results in 2011 and 2012 you are delusional.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
MM F--- us completely in 2011,with the players we had then and the form they showed that season we could have won even allowing for Geelong.

I never understand how we had to be ready to go from the pre season cup onwards,you have to be peaking at the right time and everybody has to be on the same page we were not and it is as simple as that.

Geelong rested players during the season we did not and we suffered for it someone said in an earlier post that Malthouse should have got the arse after TFS they were right and in the end it would not have made a difference to our flag hopes because they were gone by the Lions match anyway.

It is so hard to win a flag anyway but no chance if we are not all pulling in the same direction in future years we will look back on 2011 as dreadful year much like 1992.

I myself do not want MM anywhere near the club at any time in the future,what I cannot get my head round is if MM had won in 2011 Buckley would not have been coaching in 2012 that is for sure.

2011 was a bit unlucky. I wouldn't call it entirely MM fault given it was his coaching and gameplan that took us to a second straight grand final; but he really should of moved Ben Reid off Hawkins. With J-Pod going down, I still can't believe we lost the game.

That being said there is no doubt that we are better team under MM than Buckley. If MM wanted to continue in 2012, then I think he earned the opportunity to do so with the success he had in his last years of his contract. The succession plan should of been scrapped/changed and if it resulted in Buckley coaching elsewhere, then we had to let Buckley go. Obviously with Eddie's ego he wasn't going to let Buckley coach another club.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
That being said there is no doubt that we are better team under MM than Buckley. .

Yes, obviously the best team Malthouse assembled in his 12 years in charge (2010-11) is better than our 2014 team. Just like our 2014 team under Buckley is better than our 2005 team under Malthouse.

The question really needs to be "are we a better team under Buckley in 2014 than we would be under Malthouse in 2014". Thats not as easy to draw conclusions about.

2011 was a bit unlucky. I wouldn't call it entirely MM fault given it was his coaching and gameplan that took us to a second straight grand final; but he really should of moved Ben Reid off Hawkins. With J-Pod going down, I still can't believe we lost the game.

That being said there is no doubt that we are better team under MM than Buckley. If MM wanted to continue in 2012, then I think he earned the opportunity to do so with the success he had in his last years of his contract. The succession plan should of been scrapped/changed and if it resulted in Buckley coaching elsewhere, then we had to let Buckley go. Obviously with Eddie's ego he wasn't going to let Buckley coach another club.

How are the Blues going under Mick?

Sep 25, 2011
The Home of Football
AFL Club
Collingwood

Oh please. Malthouse is now 60. His results at Carlton show his gameplan is outdated and he's past it.

Even if we had retained him he wouldn't have coached for very long...and we would have let his replacement go.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh please. Malthouse is now 60. His results at Carlton show his gameplan is outdated and he's past it.

Even if we had retained him he wouldn't have coached for very long...and we would have let his replacement go.

Exactly. If people want to make comparisons between Buckley and "insert name here" they are welcome to go for it.

But no hindsight predictions about Ken Hinkley (for example) please!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back