Worst Case Scenario: Pav gets injured

Remove this Banner Ad

arrow_dactyl

Senior List
Aug 26, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let's say Pav was to get injured in the last few rounds of the season, how would you reshuffle the forward line to make it competitive for matches against the top few sides. Let's assume that Walters and Ballantyne are both fit and available.

BRADLEY%20Kepler.png

Personally I'd like to see us go with a forward line full of smaller yet dangerous players. It would be difficult for opposition teams to defend an forward line of Mayne, Ballantyne, Walters, Crozier and DeBoer. Add in the resting ruckmen or Apeness to crash the packs and bring the ball to ground for the occasional long high kicks as well as are strong marking midfielders of Fyfe, Mundy and Mzungu drifting forward and it would be a pretty entertaining and unpredictable setup, thoughts? (I know this is similar to our current forward line, but it would concentrate more on the strengths of the players in the forward line and not be directed at one chief point. It would also make the tall defenders of the other team fairly useless if the delivery is quick and low.)

Pav has always been very durable, and looks to be in good shape, form, and could be rested before
finals, if an injury occurred.
Apeness is not fit enough to play centre half forward yet, more suited to full forward, the same position as Kepler.
Leaves Tabs, as our only real option as a true forward, and besides what some think of him, and the
game against Saints, he is improving.
The game against Essendon when the team was firing proves he can play. He just needs to be more
aggressive, hungrier for the pill, and lead hard and fast often.
Carlisle from the Dons is the perfect role model for Tabs, just go for it don't hold back.
So I would be replacing Pavlich with two players, but the small to medium players Have to be able
to defend, crumb, etc, otherwise you will get killed if the ball goes to ground on the rebound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking about this the other day. We would be screwed..
I don't think we would. Pav is not exactly lighting up the field at the moment anyway. He's getting beaten in one on ones by far less experienced opposition and provides zero forward pressure. In some ways he is actually a liability.

In my opinion, the club will flourish in Pav's absence and our next leaders will step out of his shadow to stand up and be counted.

Cue rage.

smokingjacket

I don't think we would. Pav is not exactly lighting up the field at the moment anyway. He's getting beaten in one on ones by far less experienced opposition and provides zero forward pressure. In some ways he is actually a liability.

In my opinion, the club will flourish in Pav's absence and our next leaders will step out of his shadow to stand up and be counted.

Cue rage.

smokingjacket

brick.gif

I watched peel play and taped the stk game. While he is no Pav Gumbleton looked ok, yes he only kicked one goal, yes he butchered three or four shots and yes he is still not match fit. He leads very well and if given a few more weeks you just never know.

Just have to say I have a man love love thing for Ballard I thick may end up the find of the season in few years.

Last edited:
I watched peel play and taped the stk game. While he is no Pav Gumbleton looked ok, yes he only kicked one goal, yes he butchered three or four shots and yes he is still not match fit. He leads very well and if given a few more weeks you just never know.

Just have to say I have a man love love thing for Ballard I thick may end up to find of the season in few years.

wow ... THAT much love

Maybe that was one love to many but I've just woken up in Bangkok after a big night out. I was taken out by a sleazy friend and there seamed to be a lot of love in the air, as long as you had money.

Maybe that was one love to many but I've just woken up in Bangkok after a big night out. I was taken out by a sleazy friend and there seamed to be a lot of love in the air, as long as you had money.
8808_5.jpg

Yep agreed, if you are simply looking for the player who could most perform the Pav role at this exact moment in time it would be Gumby, sought of why we got him. Hopefully some of the younguns will take over the role in the not too distant future or Gumby gets a break with his fitness.

If this happens, I think there may be a few BF Freo fans hunting you down.

With Ballas & Walters fully fit I don't think it'd be the end of the world though because you don't necessarily need Pav's replacement to be a big goalkicker, just someone to command a presence in the forward 50.
- Apeness: Has shown he can keep a couple of defenders busy, and can free up our small guys & mids to kick goals
- Fyfe: He already goes forward, can kick a goal, and is a talented freak. We'd take a hit in the mid, but can bring in someone like Sheridan, or move Mora in if he fires up. Wouldn't be the end of the world if de Boer replaces him
- Kepler!!!! Because he's Kepler
- Mora: Big enough & strong enough. Maybe not fast enough or experienced enough in current footy. And will need a bit more match fitness.

On the other hand, I would purposefully keep Taberner out of the team, unless we're putting another tall forwardish player up, because he can barely keep up with the pressure of one 2nd-string backman, so that leaves our opposition's best backman on guys like Mayne or our resting ruck, and the opposition can keep us matched up better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back