Tour De France 2014 Stage 16: Carcassonne - Bagneres-de-Luchon

Remove this Banner Ad

Riders will be raring to go after a rest day, though I am sure we will hear at least once tonight that riders often have bad days the day after the rest day.

Stage 16: Carcassonne - Bagneres-de-Luchon
Current Jersey Leaders
Yellow: Vincenzo Nibail (AST)
White: Romain Bardet (ALM)
Green: Peter Sagan (CAN)
Polkadot: Joaquim Rodriguez (KAT)
Lantern Rouge: Ji Cheng (GSH)
Team: AG2R La Mondiale
Stage-16-Map.jpg

PROFIL.png

• Km 25.0 - Côte de Fanjeaux2.4 kilometre-long climb at 4.9% - category 4
  • Km 71.5 - Côte de Pamiers2.5 kilometre-long climb at 5.4% - category 4
  • Km 155.0 - Col de Portet-d'Aspet (1 069 m)5.4 kilometre-long climb at 6.9% - category 2
  • Km 176.5 - Col des Ares6 kilometre-long climb at 5.2% - category 3
  • Km 216.0 - Port de Balès (1 755 m)11.7 kilometre-long climb at 7.7% - category HC
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

PROFILKMS.png

General Classification after Stage 15
ITA 1 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA) 66:49:37
ESP 2 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) + 4:37
FRA 3 BARDET, Romain (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 4:50
FRA 4 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ.fr) + 5:06
USA 5 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) + 5:49
FRA 6 PERAUD, Jean-Christophe (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 6:08
NED 7 MOLLEMA, Bauke (BELKIN) + 8:33
CZE 8 KONIG, Leopold (NETAPP - ENDURA) + 9:32
NED 9 TEN DAM, Laurens (BELKIN) + 10:01
FRA 10 ROLLAND, Pierre (EUROPCAR) + 10:48

Tonight I'd expect the GC contenders to really play it safe. The stage is mountainous, not doubt however the descent from the Port de Bales brings us to 2.8km from the finish. Given that the best descender of the GC guys is undoubtedly Vincenzo Nibali, I doubt we will see many attacks on the climbs by the GC guys, as they know they'll be caught on the descent. My tip for the win tonight is Sylvain Chavanel.

Watch for:
Paul and Phil talk about someone who used to be a mountain biker, therefore they are a "daredevil descender".

Conversation regarding past cases of PED use or innuendo surrounding current riders will not be tolerated. This thread is specifically about Stage 16 of the 2014 Tour de France, so let's keep it that way.

port de bales is a beautiful climb, I rode it in 2012, didn't see a single soul the entire way.

I expect it to be a bit more populated tonight.

'
655b6d.jpg

c64c23.jpg

be536d.jpg

Had some mates that did the E'tape du tour on Sunday, they had some bad weather around the Tourmalet, does anyone know if that's on the cards for tonight?

Rogers is just incredible this season, especially given how much of it he missed.

Fantastic ride, not only had to deal with wheelsuckers for the last hour and a bit but was able to close down every move and beat them all. Really happy for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really enjoyed last night's stage, happy for rogers' win but man I was barracking for Cyril as well.

I've seen him in so many doomed breakaways over the last few years I really hoped this one was going to get over the line for him (if not mick).

really enjoyed last night's stage, happy for rogers' win but man I was barracking for Cyril as well.

I've seen him in so many doomed breakaways over the last few years I really hoped this one was going to get over the line for him (if not mick).

we've had folks in the past whining about stages which waste HC climbs 20-30 km from finishes in the valley, but last night showed one of the best things the TDF does with its course design than the other two GTs. Variety. It provded a stage which really brought out the descending skills of riders. The climb still had a massive impact by withering away 21 breakaway riders to 4, and it also changed the white jesey comp too. However after the selection up the Port de Bales, it was the descent that sorted out the win.

I love these descending finishes when riders put it all on the line. Heart in mouth stuff coming off the Port de Bales, but great viewing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back