Analysis Hird or Thompson: Your decison

Hird or Thompson: Who should be senior coach in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously

Some guys and girls think the club has unlimited money. Craig in effect has taken Thompson's role. Whatever way it turns out, only one will be on the coaching panel in 2015.

Craig isn't in a coaching role. At all.

You baffle me yaco.

If bomber turned around and said "guys i want to coach another year" you would be hard pressed saying no to him. But from everything he has indicated thus far he doesnt want to be the head coach so there is only 1 correct answer here and it aint matthew knights.

Craig isn't in a coaching role. At all.

You baffle me yaco.
Half true. He is in a coaching role but it's coaching the coaches. He has limited player contact and instead focuses on managing the coaching department and strategy.

If bomber turned around and said "guys i want to coach another year" you would be hard pressed saying no to him. But from everything he has indicated thus far he doesnt want to be the head coach so there is only 1 correct answer here and it aint matthew knights.

"Sorry Bomber, James is contracted, and the only reason he agreed not to clear his name of bogus charges was so he could return immediately. It would be morally repugnant to give you the job".

Not that Bomber would ever try to shaft his mate.

"Sorry Bomber, James is contracted, and the only reason he agreed not to clear his name of bogus charges was so he could return immediately. It would be morally repugnant to give you the job".

Pretty much. Hird clearly didn't think he was guilty of anything in the first place and had to be coerced into accepting the suspension.

He'll be back in the seat. Only a successful infraction would change that.

Half true. He is in a coaching role but it's coaching the coaches. He has limited player contact and instead focuses on managing the coaching department and strategy.

"General Manager of Football Performance" is not even close to a coaching role, let alone the role Bomber had from 2011-13.

"General Manager of Football Performance" is not even close to a coaching role, let alone the role Bomber had from 2011-13.

Yeah it is more of an administrative, management role.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm saying he coaches the coaches which is a very different role to Bomber's previous role.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm saying he coaches the coaches which is a very different role to Bomber's previous role.

True.

Personally I think his strength lies with direct player contact.

Jason Winderlich is a great player, Zach Merrett could be (or better or worse...)
If there was only one list spot for these two next year I know who I'd take

More apt comparison would be would you rather have Tom Hawkins or Jake Carlisle in the side. One is a proven, blue chip, gun forward and dual premiership player in the middle of his career, while the other could be an absolute freak.

The issue for me isn't really who is better - up till the end of this year, I give both men equal credit for getting us to where we were. The question is what is right? If we lose either one (which I suspect is going to be the case), it will be a huge loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More apt comparison would be would you rather have Tom Hawkins or Jake Carlisle in the side. One is a proven, blue chip, gun forward and dual premiership player in the middle of his career, while the other could be an absolute freak.

The issue for me isn't really who is better - up till the end of this year, I give both men equal credit for getting us to where we were. The question is what is right? If we lose either one (which I suspect is going to be the case), it will be a huge loss.

And that's the crux of it. Hird declined to fight his charges on the basis that he'd be back in 2015 as Senior Coach. To change now would be morally reprehensible and probably the most unethical thing the club has done since the salary cap cheating.

My only concern with Hirdy coaching next year, is that he will have been out of the game for 12mths and no doubt will be rusty and I wonder how long it will take him to pick up the tempo to get back into the required game day strategy so that we don't go backwards whilst he is getting into the swing of things.

We have seen how long it takes players to get back into the tempo of the game after just 2-3 weeks out, so 12mths out of the game is a hell of a long time, when you are the person that every one is relying on to be up 2 speed from day one.

I really want to see Hirdy back as coach just not next year, so Bomber for me for next year with Hirdy back in charge in 2016.

There needs to be an 'either' selection. It's really hard. I think Hird should be given a chance to come back but I also want the club to move on from this. I voted for Thompson but he was also in on the situation. Maybe I should have voted for neither. ...

My only concern with Hirdy coaching next year, is that he will have been out of the game for 12mths and no doubt will be rusty and I wonder how long it will take him to pick up the tempo to get back into the required game day strategy so that we don't go backwards whilst he is getting into the swing of things.

We have seen how long it takes players to get back into the tempo of the game after just 2-3 weeks out, so 12mths out of the game is a hell of a long time, when you are the person that every one is relying on to be up 2 speed from day one.

I really want to see Hirdy back as coach just not next year, so Bomber for me for next year with Hirdy back in charge in 2016.

I can guarantee you that James will be spending the next 3 months preparing for pre-season.

Hird's INSEAD Business School has not lost one single game of AFL football this year

Everyone knows my thoughts. I'm disappointed that this was raised on the board, again, by a certain individual.

For clarity:
Hird is contracted
Hird only took the suspension BECAUSE he was promised his job back
Hird took the suspension to HELP the players move on (didn't work, but it was the motivation at the time)
Hird had us on an upward trajectory for three years
Hird discovered, recruited and improved players that are now the backbone of our team: Ryder, Carlisle, Hooker, Hibberd, Zaka, Heppell, Goddard, Baguley, Hurley, Myers, Melksham, Daniher, Hocking
Hird has us in a 'better' position at this time last year despite more media pressure/outside factors
The players are united around Hird and want him back (see functions last year, AGM etc, twitter and general discussion)
Hird has, potentially, another 10-20 years of coaching career ahead of him
Hird has, as an added bonus, now completed one of the worlds best leadership and management courses. A course that will help his management and communication to players even further and adds yet another feather to his overcrowded cap
Hird is a club legend who has endured two years of hell for a CLUB WIDE endorsed program that, at this stage, was legal and compliant with codes
Hird has always presented well in the media and represented the club with integrity
Hird is contracted

I really object to the 'Thompson has won 2 flags so he is better'... using that argument would suggest that Malthouse is a better coach than Hird or we should bring back Sheedy. Hird hasn't won a flag YET because he took over a list that was crap, a club that was divided and in serious trouble and was always going to take at least 3 years to get us back to competitive let alone a tilt. Sometimes 'potential' gets too much credit over experience, particularly on these boards.. but at other times you have to give someone an opportunity to succeed.

If this s**t storm hadn't happened.. no one would be talking about sacking Hirdy.. in fact I would strongly suggest he would be up there with Hinkley as the 'favoured' coaches of the season.. Hird was coaching well and improving in his role and the team was also improving.

IFFF any players receive suspensions then BOTH Hird and Thompson MUST go.. as they were both involved.. heavily.

It seriously annoys me that a media led witch hunt has caused people to become irrational on the topic of our senior coach. Bomber Thompson bought Dank to the club through Robinson... imagine where we might be sitting if Caro had decided to keep her witch hunt against Thompson (as it started) instead of switching to the 'bigger' target in Hird? Would Thompson be the one on the side lines? Would he be the one with a cult? Would we be in the top 2 right now? Just ponder that.

I think James Hird has been, and will be, an excellent senior coach for this football club and if he is given the opportunity he will bring #17 home. I'm not sure Bomber Thompson is ready or willing to hang around the 3-4 more years that it might take to achieve that.

I don't care who coaches as long as Bomber is there teaching the players, even if it means 1 on 1 work, if we lose Bomber I will be pissed off.

Hird had us at 14 - 3. People have short memories.

/End thread

Its actually starting to bug me. Look I have absolutely no doubt Bomber had a massive roll in that, but anyone saying Thompsons 2014 side is performing better than Hirds 2013 side is absolutely kidding themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back