What will happen with the two plastic franchises?

Remove this Banner Ad

It is such a shame that all four second team comps are likely to be won by AFL reserves clubs.
Box Hill Hawks, East Perth, Port & Giants all Sportsbet favourites.
There will be very little future joy for fans of non AFL clubs.
In Victoria the death of the VFA/VFL has seen many supporters of traditional second tier clubs now following suburban football. Vermont in the EFL is bigger than most VFL clubs.

It is such a shame that all four second team comps are likely to be won by AFL reserves clubs.
Box Hill Hawks, East Perth, Port & Giants all Sportsbet favourites.
There will be very little future joy for fans of non AFL clubs.
In Victoria the death of the VFA/VFL has seen many supporters of traditional second tier clubs now following suburban football. Vermont in the EFL is bigger than most VFL clubs.

Seems clear with the following articles, surely the AFL will take note what is happening with Local leagues and start the AFL reserves comp

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/vfl-club-bendigo-gold-to-fold-20140625-zslv8.html

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/24501225/footy-boss-quits-in-disgust/

Seems clear with the following articles, surely the AFL will take note what is happening with Local leagues and start the AFL reserves comp

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/vfl-club-bendigo-gold-to-fold-20140625-zslv8.html

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/24501225/footy-boss-quits-in-disgust/
Neither of those articles have anything to do with the AFL.
The AFl will not start a reserves comp to help other league, only to help themselves.

Shame, the SANFL will be irrelevant yet again.

Is anyone denying the fact the AFL is and will always be the number 1 league in Australia, I think it just pisses you of that The Power are no longer a member of the SANFL and no one will remember your premierships. You are now an AFL franchise that has one premiership to your name and seen by the majority of Australia as the Crows poor cousin. In most quarters you have less respect than freo!

Im happy to follow the local league whether it be the 10th best league in Australia, I have followed the bays my whole life and will continue to do so.

Pissed off? No no I'm happy that we are in the process of cutting ties with the SANFL. I'm loving us actually having reserves as well. Honestly its great to honor our history and all of those premierships the magpies won but the only premiership I care about is the 2014 one. Also I don't think the majority think we are the crows poor cousin. We have our own identity and we are nothing alike. I'd say we are an alternative. But yeah crowd numbers and money wise the crows are a lot better off no doubt.

Pissed off? No no I'm happy that we are in the process of cutting ties with the SANFL. I'm loving us actually having reserves as well. Honestly its great to honor our history and all of those premierships the magpies won but the only premiership I care about is the 2014 one. Also I don't think the majority think we are the crows poor cousin. We have our own identity and we are nothing alike. I'd say we are an alternative. But yeah crowd numbers and money wise the crows are a lot better off no doubt.

What planet are you living on, go to Vic and listen to what people have to say along with here, its pretty clear that is the perception.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is the reason. If you have a league with a salary cap of $350000 for an entire squad and you are playing against a side of 22 players with a combined salary of $3 million, you dont have to be that smart to realise the advantage do you? This applies to Coaches from assistance coaches, Fitness Coaches, Dieticians, player welfare managers and Physio's and doctors, what SANFL club can afford that on their payroll . Then the $ spent on facilities like training facilities, recovery facilities or medical facilities, again how do you compete against that?

In 99.9999% of the time the above benefits surely give you an advantage, how could it not?????????

Well, this has now been totally disproven. The loss of a few players to the AFL team has cost Port. And why would you think that paying a rookie player a huge salary suddenly makes him a better player? Really it is a pretty pointless exercise to say that neither AFL team should have a reserves side, neither have shown they are dominant so you can't complain there and each provide a side that everyone wants to beat. What we have here are so-called supporters who would sooner whinge than watch their team improve.

Well, this has now been totally disproven. The loss of a few players to the AFL team has cost Port. And why would you think that paying a rookie player a huge salary suddenly makes him a better player? Really it is a pretty pointless exercise to say that neither AFL team should have a reserves side, neither have shown they are dominant so you can't complain there and each provide a side that everyone wants to beat. What we have here are so-called supporters who would sooner whinge than watch their team improve.

I read an article on an ex AFL players reasons for playing local footy once he retired, saying how much effort it was to be a fully proffesional player and the time and amount of training it takes to be a proffesional footballer. Explain to me the toll it will take on the SANFL player, who has to train excvessivley in an effort to play against proffesional players, whilst holding a job in an office, trade or even in a factory, working a 40 hour plus week sometimes, then training to try and get anyhwere near the fitness level of a proffesional player. Can I tell you somethings going to give sooner or later.

PS Port are on top of the ladder, so how have i be disproven?

I read an article on an ex AFL players reasons for playing local footy once he retired, saying how much effort it was to be a fully proffesional player and the time and amount of training it takes to be a proffesional footballer. Explain to me the toll it will take on the SANFL player, who has to train excvessivley in an effort to play against proffesional players, whilst holding a job in an office, trade or even in a factory, working a 40 hour plus week sometimes, then training to try and get anyhwere near the fitness level of a proffesional player. Can I tell you somethings going to give sooner or later.

PS Port are on top of the ladder, so how have i be disproven?

Port have been beaten by North at Alberton and nearly been beaten by Centrals there so the loss of a few AFL players is meaning we are fielding a side which is 80% inexperienced players. But you're trying to compare your beloved team to the AFL reserves teams? If teams are unable to be competitive, how is it that while Port are top, the cows are mid-range and Port are only top because they have a good percentage(mainly through an early thrashing of a 3rd-rate team) and the fact Sturt lost unexpectedly last week?

Port have been beaten by North at Alberton and nearly been beaten by Centrals there so the loss of a few AFL players is meaning we are fielding a side which is 80% inexperienced players. But you're trying to compare your beloved team to the AFL reserves teams? If teams are unable to be competitive, how is it that while Port are top, the cows are mid-range and Port are only top because they have a good percentage(mainly through an early thrashing of a 3rd-rate team) and the fact Sturt lost unexpectedly last week?

Gee are you unhappy they have lost 3 games this year and almost lost other games, your on top which means other teams have lost more. Do you think other teams get injuries? All SANFL teams have two teams also, so do you think they dont get injuries? This arguement we cop injuries applies to every team out there. When determining how a team will go for the year, bookies will look at the best team that a club can put on the park and set the odds from there. You can say there may be injuries, but on the other hand you can say there may not be injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some valid points in your last couple of posts grassrootsfooty. Difficult to debate the issue with Port supporters who cant acknowledge the advantages that a team of (mostly) full time, professional footballers have against a team of esentially amatuer/semi-pro footballers who also need to work and/or study and cant committ their entire summer to preseason training. It irks me when Port supporters chirp that the SANFL clubs should be trying to lift their game etc. What absolute garbage.

As for the Ravens, they have now won 4 of their past 6, and 1 of those losses was by a kick to Westies in a game that could have gone either way. It was always going to take a little while for them to settle their side with the country top up players and to build a postive team environment after being established basically out of thin air.

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is there isn't any point complaining. The SANFL clubs voted for the AFL sides to enter in reserve teams for the competition. Why did they do this, because the money they will get for allowing it so they dont all go bust in the next cpl of years.

If the SANFL clubs voted against this move, then no AFL listed players would be playing in the SANFL this year, people would loose even more interest in the comp and sooner rather than later the clubs will begin to fold like a stack of domino's. If you have an issue with the two AFL sides in the comp, rather than taking it out on forums like this, why dont you contact the CEO/President of your SANFL club and have a discussion with them about your feelings and find out the reasons why YOUR club voted this monition through.

The fact of the matter is there isn't any point complaining. The SANFL clubs voted for the AFL sides to enter in reserve teams for the competition. Why did they do this, because the money they will get for allowing it so they dont all go bust in the next cpl of years.

If the SANFL clubs voted against this move, then no AFL listed players would be playing in the SANFL this year, people would loose even more interest in the comp and sooner rather than later the clubs will begin to fold like a stack of domino's. If you have an issue with the two AFL sides in the comp, rather than taking it out on forums like this, why dont you contact the CEO/President of your SANFL club and have a discussion with them about your feelings and find out the reasons why YOUR club voted this monition through.

I will complain for the same reason, that both the Adealide Board and Port board complain about the return from Adelaide Oval. FFS they didnt just move there without having any idea what was going on, if they did they were dead set dumb. The last round of talks discovered that the expenses were too high, as with any business these will be reduced over time. There was no suggestion that the SMA be dismantled or the % returns that the SMA wanted would be reduced. Why? Because that was agreed to by all parties, as the SANFL agreed to having Port and Adelaide in their competition. The dfference there though is there are conditions that allow them to kick the AFL clubs out with 12 months notice. So the more complaints and negative press may sway any decision to be made.

Compared to this thread both Port and Adelaide fans compalin about the SMA much more, although as you said they agreed to it also. Why did they agree to it, you answered this also , extra $$$$$$$.

I have been too my club and the SANFL. The problem we now face is teheparameters no doubt will be changed to make teh AFL teams uncompetitive but that wont fix the problem.

completely wrong, when port entered the afl a vote was taken among the sanfl clubs to whether port should have an sanfl side still, port voted yes.

Are you stupid or something, I cant reply to you on the Port Adelaide SANFL link because some soft option Fozsport has banned myself. But to bring up the West Coast winning if you haven't worked out I don't give a s**t about the AFL yet, I don't know what more I can say.

If your club moderators want to be involved in SANFL discussions then remove the link from the SANFL after all you are not a member of the SANFL! One of the moderators in the topic did say they were going remove the link, but haven't got around to it yet, why don't you ask them to do it!!!

Are you stupid or something, I cant reply to you on the Port Adelaide SANFL link because some soft option Fozsport has banned myself. But to bring up the West Coast winning if you haven't worked out I don't give a s**t about the AFL yet, I don't know what more I can say.

If your club moderators want to be involved in SANFL discussions then remove the link from the SANFL after all you are not a member of the SANFL! One of the moderators in the topic did say they were going remove the link, but haven't got around to it yet, why don't you ask them to do it!!!
i didnt say anything about west coast to you, was responding to a chirpy crows supporter, who probably walked out on glenelg like most 24 years ago, your reading comprehension skills are seriously lacking. your opinion and your club is no longer relevant, quite frankly sa football will be much better off without you blokes around.

i didnt say anything about west coast to you, was responding to a chirpy crows supporter, who probably walked out on glenelg like most 24 years ago, your reading comprehension skills are seriously lacking. your opinion and your club is no longer relevant, quite frankly sa football will be much better off without you blokes around.

Our club is no longer relevant! WTF, we are still members of the SANFL, can I can ask are you?

we do alot more for the sanfl than your mob ever has, simple facts you fail to recognise. your 35 members must be proud. will be awesome when we no longer have to prop your mob up.

Gee, if propping up is handing the Power Millions to keep you afloat because you make a fricken loss every year, I think I would rather not be propped up.
Don't get of the subject you are not a member of the SANFL simple fact dumbo!

If Port were not a member of the SANFL, then Port would not have an SANFL side.

GrassRootsFooty, seriously, you are pathetic. Take your void and irrelevant arguments elsewhere.

Are you SURE you're not Graham Cornes or a Stephen Rowe sockpuppet?

Port Power nor the Adelaide Crows are members of the SANFL, go onto the SANFL website to discover this if you want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back