news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was the crowd in Dublin? Absolutely going nuts throughout and creating what would surely have been a pretty stunning atmosphere.

Loved McGregor's speech afterwards: "We're Irish. We don't fight to take part, we fight to take over."

Rousey/Carano, if it happens, is a terrible fight, but it'll do well financially. There's so many issues with that fight. People s**t all over the women's BW division and this'll provide further ammunition with someone getting a title shot after 5 years of inactivity. What did Carano have a lot of trouble cutting to 7 years ago? 140 pounds? Who knows if she'd even make weight.

Was McGregor's opening kick today a bit of a cheap shot. Only seen it once so not sure. He fought a great fight anyway. The most impressive thing was that he did well on the ground against a good grappler.

Nelson looked good again. He's won every fight and looked impressive doing it but I wonder how he'll fare against better fighters at WW. He'll usually be at a big size disadvantage against them, as he was today against Cummings. Dropping to LW in the future might make a lot of sense but at the moment he's faring well at WW.

McCall was too quick for Pickett and looked good in winning a comfortable decision. Pendred's comeback, Latifi's KO and Holohan's overall performance stood out to me on the prelims.

I thought Nelson was average against decent but limited opposition. Only kicked up a gear when he was in danger of going two rounds down. Did enough but bring that against a top 10 guy and he'll probably get schooled. Not a contenders type performance for mine.

I thought Nelson was average against decent but limited opposition. Only kicked up a gear when he was in danger of going two rounds down. Did enough but bring that against a top 10 guy and he'll probably get schooled. Not a contenders type performance for mine.
Gotta agree with you here. Even though that's Nelsons fighting style in being patient and calculated, Cummings caught him a few times and he didn't look comfortable until he found his range late in the 2nd round.
For me if he does that with a step up in competition he gets found out more but on the other hand he found his A game quickly when he needed to and can use that going forward

Valid criticism of Nelson's performance. I can't get too worked up about it when he's submitted everyone in his UFC fights besides one comfortable decision win. Certainly could present problems going forward though.

Just saw that all 3 judges scored the first round of Pendred/King 10-9. Makes no sense but I've come to expect that from MMA judging.

Valid criticism of Nelson's performance. I can't get too worked up about it when he's submitted everyone in his UFC fights besides one comfortable decision win. Certainly could present problems going forward though.

Just saw that all 3 judges scored the first round of Pendred/King 10-9. Makes no sense but I've come to expect that from MMA judging.

I have no issues with Gunnar getting a step up in competition, but Rory is so far above where he should be matched it's a joke. It's like people have Rory as the gate keeper already when he's still young and should be considered as a genuine contender, not a filter.

Was McGregor's opening kick today a bit of a cheap shot. Only seen it once so not sure. He fought a great fight anyway. The most impressive thing was that he did well on the ground against a good grappler.

I thought so at the time, but it appears as thought Diego shook off the glove tap prior to the fight. They both did have their arms extended, but I'm guessing it was more of a range finding thing.

Agree completely on the Carano/Rousey fight and Gunnar's performance. Cummings is no bum, but to be expecting to fight Rory next, you'd expect Gunnar to blow throught him pretty easily.

Anyone else ridiculously pumped for the Lawler vs Brown card this Sunday? It's got great depth for a free card and the main even should be one of the fights of the year. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Lawler gets the win via body shots. Brown has been hurt to the body by both Mein and Silva in recent fights and I think this will be a target for Lawler.

Also, Henry Cejudo (2008 Beijing Olympic wresling gold medallist) is rumoured to be close to signing for the UFC. He's had trouble making the flyweight limit in his recent fights, but would make a great addition at 135 if he can no longer make 125.

Anyone else ridiculously pumped for the Lawler vs Brown card this Sunday? It's got great depth for a free card and the main even should be one of the fights of the year. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Lawler gets the win via body shots. Brown has been hurt to the body by both Mein and Silva in recent fights and I think this will be a target for Lawler.

Also, Henry Cejudo (2008 Beijing Olympic wresling gold medallist) is rumoured to be close to signing for the UFC. He's had trouble making the flyweight limit in his recent fights, but would make a great addition at 135 if he can no longer make 125.
I think you're right, but I don't think it'll happen before the 3rd round. Hell, it might even go to a decision (albeit a lopsided one..)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're right, but I don't think it'll happen before the 3rd round. Hell, it might even go to a decision (albeit a lopsided one..)

Agreed, I don't think it will be early... if Brown has proven anything it's that he's one of the toughest guys in the sport. If the fight did manage to go the full five rounds, I don't think it would be a lopsided decision though. If either one of these guys is in control for an extended period of time, I'd expect them to finish. The only way I see it going to decision is if it's a back and forth fight along the lines of Hendricks/Lawler.

That sucks, but who doesn't want to see DC vs Jones?! Great fight.

If DC had the chance to bank another 2 fights, then I would put my house on him. A short run to the title...... I have Jon Jones all day.

If DC had the chance to bank another 2 fights, then I would put my house on him. A short run to the title...... I have Jon Jones all day.

He has already fought, and beaten, Bigfoot Silva, Josh Barnett, Frank Mir, and Roy Nelson at heavy weight and Dan Henderson (previous contender to fight Jones) in his second fight at 205. I think that he's as ready as he'll ever be, and I'd bet that he has been training to fight Jones since he come into the UFC.

He has already fought, and beaten, Bigfoot Silva, Josh Barnett, Frank Mir, and Roy Nelson at heavy weight and Dan Henderson (previous contender to fight Jones) in his second fight at 205. I think that he's as ready as he'll ever be, and I'd bet that he has been training to fight Jones since he come into the UFC.

Fair call that, been waiting for this one ever since he came to the UFC really. I don't think Dan will have much trouble taking Jones down to be honest so it will be interesting to see if Jones can scramble back up, he's going to need to.

I was getting more at his LHW fights than his UFC career. In saying that, I understand where you are coming from Jab. Overall, he has probably been waiting a bit to long for this fight. I don't underestimate DC's skills but in a LHW war......I have to go with Jones. I put him in the same sentence as A.Silva, Until I see it with my own eyes.....I cant imagine Jones losing.

I was getting more at his LHW fights than his UFC career. In saying that, I understand where you are coming from Jab. Overall, he has probably been waiting a bit to long for this fight. I don't underestimate DC's skills but in a LHW war......I have to go with Jones. I put him in the same sentence as A.Silva, Until I see it with my own eyes.....I cant imagine Jones losing.

I don't see Jones being able to take DC down, but DC should be able to take Jones down. I don't think that DC would want to stand up with Jones for too long.

I could see Jones taking DC down because of how good he is with suplex's and trips, but realistically don't think he will. DC has a much better chance of scoring the takedown, but Jones' takedown defense is fantastic and it won't be easy. I think Jones' footwork and reach will play a huge role in this fight... I think he's quick enough to stay away from DC, but to do so for 5 rounds will be difficult. I think as a fight it will play out a lot like the Kennedy/Bisping fight where one fighter was able to control the stand up portion for a few rounds and the other was able to score takedowns and keep the other guy there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back