2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

If they devalue the academy, we should absolutely reduce our investment and tell the AFL to pick up the cheque.

Not sure why we should invest this amount of money if they are going to make it difficult for said players to come to us (only if they are any good of course).

It is the AFLs job to develop the game, the Swans are responsible for their brand and their supporters. Big slap in the face to us and we should raise the middle finger.

yeah clarko wants academies gone or for hawthorn to have one

can we have a VFL team then?

And a zone with the "old boys network" propping us up making sure the right kids go to right schools.

Just looked up who is on the Equalisation Sub committee:

Presidents: Eddie, Newbold, Gordon

CEO's: Gale, Nesbit, Thomas.

So no representative from any NSW or QLD clubs. And the three Presidents are also our three most vocal industry critics. Carry on.

Perhaps why no coaches from NSW or QLD went for dinner and chat with Gil & the new VFL competition's coaches.

Just looked up who is on the Equalisation Sub committee:

Presidents: Eddie, Newbold, Gordon

CEO's: Gale, Nesbit, Thomas.

So no representative from any NSW or QLD clubs. And the three Presidents are also our three most vocal industry critics. Carry on.

That's it I'm done with AFL for me. Back to local footy. They can have their expanded VFL. This is no way to run a league let alone a company. I've had this so called equalisation which will only end up benefitting a few clubs that does not need any help. Bye everyone

Interestingly Caro believes the panel system for reviewing picks will be junked. Wow. That's a massive turnaround in a week. Good if true.

Just not sure why the AFL cannot simply take the criticisms from the Equalisation Sub committee "under advisement" and see how things actually pan out first.

If the Academy system starts generating 20+ players across the alliance per annum and more than half play for non academy clubs they can take that to the Presidents and show the system is working fairly.

But it's all about Sydney, our ladder position, and one or teo individuals in the system hopefully who'll make it starting this whole review.

Eddie is destroying something wonderful for the code here probably because his side is dropping and would be in contention to pick one or two of these players up in the short term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly Caro believes the panel system for reviewing picks will be junked. Wow. That's a massive turnaround in a week. Good if true.

Just not sure why the AFL cannot simply take the criticisms from the Equalisation Sub committee "under advisement" and see how things actually pan out first.

If the Academy system starts generating 20+ players across the alliance per annum and more than half play for non academy clubs they can take that to the Presidents and show the system is working fairly.

But it's all about Sydney, our ladder position, and one or teo individuals in the system hopefully who'll make it starting this whole review.

Eddie is destroying something wonderful for the code here probably because his side is dropping and would be in contention to pick one or two of these players up in the short term.

All their focus revolves around how to stop Sydney while in the meantime inflicting collaterial damage to the other Northern clubs.

Anyways its sad how this is being played it all through the media, probably sending mixed messages to the kids and their families parents of the kids were already ringing the club voicing their concerns according to Pridham.

All their focus revolves around how to stop Sydney while in the meantime inflicting collaterial damage to the other Northern clubs.

Anyways its sad how this is being played it all through the media, probably sending mixed messages to the kids and their families parents of the kids were already ringing the club voicing their concerns according to Pridham.

This is the part I hate the most.

It's a media campaign. This is leading to policy on the fly. Bad policy. No deep thought here. No think tanks producing reports that are being assessed coolly and thoughtfully. Just Eddie banging on the table behind closed doors, then spruiking on the airwaves, and Gordon and Newbold chipping in to add their 'impartial' support.

I actually read an early report on the Equalisation Committee's work last year, and Eddie was quoted in the article proud that he was the one adding "heat" to the debate, and getting everyone around the table shouting at each other (to paraphrase his own words). So sad. :thumbsdown:

This is the part I hate the most.

It's a media campaign. This is leading to policy on the fly. Bad policy. No deep thought here. No think tanks producing reports that are being assessed coolly and thoughtfully. Just Eddie banging on the table behind closed doors, then spruiking on the airwaves, and Gordon and Newbold chipping in to add their 'impartial' support.

I actually read an early report on the Equalisation Committee's work last year, and Eddie was quoted in the article proud that he was the one adding "heat" to the debate, and getting everyone around the table shouting at each other (to paraphrase his own words). So sad. :thumbsdown:

Lowering everyone to his standards sounds really constructive, we have a great national sport but its management would rank as one of the worst in the world.

Nobody understood the COLA and now nobody understands the Academies, im glad we are fighting this would hate to see this club being destroyed like the Lions.

Ed and a couple of his cronies are the single most destructive thing to growing the game North.

The real issue is the unfairness and lack of equalisation in media exposure given Eddies monopoly of the AFL airtime.

He is far to powerful so even criticism of him by his peers is muted and hesitant because he can influence their careers.

It really is disgusting and what is further worrying is that Gill appears to be choosing the path of least resistance if not actively encouraging Eddie to speak out in some form of battle-space preparation for "his" decisions.

Punts,

I read from that there will only be tweaking. Which I like.

It doesn't rule out us being required to offer multiple picks though. Which I don't

And so we should. If they make it that much harder for us to get players out of it, why should we be spending OUR money on it?

Exactly. Putting a decade of development into a kid for a slight discount in the draft is just stupid. Let the AFL run their own academies in the Northern states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back