Toast Big Sam Rowe

Remove this Banner Ad

“It’s something I really haven’t had for nine years consistently, is another big man down back, and the club has screamed out for it for a few years,” Jamison said.

Emphasis mine. I think Jamison is really enjoying not having to play on the gorillas that clearly out muscle him week in week out. He is able to be third man up a lot more and positions himself in places to block the run of other forwards. I don't think he forgot about Henderson or White, it's just that both of those players either play on the second or third string forwards, whereas Rowe can take the #1 forward if they don't have much run but a lot of muscle.

With forwards like Buddy, Tippett, Daniher and Carlisle et al. out there it's very important to have a c.198cm backman now - Rowe most certainly fits the bill for now and he also has controlled aggression and age on his side which allows him to psychologically impose himself on younger opponents.

One for the Malthouse doubters...

When Mick first started playing Sam in defence, I have to admit I thought it smacked of desperation. Find somewhere, anywhere we can put this bloke. The move has proven to be an inspiration. :thumbsu:

With the confidence he is gaining/has gained, I reckon Sam would go well up forward now, if called upon to do so.

all i was saying is he is playing some fantastic footy but wont be in the premiership window i would of thought but hopefully im wrong wrong wrong.
I'm not too worried about that, myself.

If Sammy can give us some years of service while we develop young KPD it'll work out well, in theory.

Really impressed with Rowe this year, one of only a few players to genuinely improve this season.

This is really his first year as a proper defender and he's really starting to understand the craft as each game goes. He and Jamison seem to have developed a good relationship and those two positions seem the most settled they've been in probably 5 years. Right now with the list as it is, he's way better and further progressed than Watson and allows Simon White to be the third tall. Big upside is that there is still a lot of improvement still to come, but that he also has really good foundations to make a high-quality FB and/or CHB.

The strengths Rowe has are strength and effort. His fitness conditioning still needs to increase, however he has come off a really low base due to his unfortunate illness and the ongoing effects of the treatment, and I think this coming offseason they will work hard to build his stamina and try and increase his agility somewhat. He's really effective against the stay at home forwards (Hawkins was the exception and he wont forget that game) and can hold his own in those grappling contests. He also works extremely hard for his team mates and is ranked 3rd in the AFL for one percenters.

His defensive awareness could improve but I think that will come with experience and guidance. He's been far more solid down back than most people would have expected and I think he's definitely found his new home. Wouldn't be surprised if we take a KPP in the draft with a later pick as a development project, but I think in the mean time Rowe & Jamison have the defensive spine under control. Watson will either make it as a forward or be delisted.

Really impressed with Rowe this year, one of only a few players to genuinely improve this season.
Everitt, Docherty, Curnow, Graham, Buckley, Wood, Casboult, Gibbs, White, Yarran - there's 10.

Wood - Too early to tell, one game is not a sufficient sample size
Docherty - Already showed plenty at Brisbane but was undersized and homesick, could almost give you this one
Graham - Not enough yet to make a definitive judgement
Curnow - Disagree, I am not a fan and think that his best football for us was under Ratten. Think he's a decent tagger but feel that our midfield would be better balanced with someone else in there which I suspect will happen in the next couple of years.
Everritt - I don't think he has improved with us, I think he's just carried on the same good form he showed at Sydney last year when he was given a consistent run

Casboult, Gibbs, Yarran and White are all part of the group I would have said.

One for the Malthouse doubters...

When Mick first started playing Sam in defence, I have to admit I thought it smacked of desperation. Find somewhere, anywhere we can put this bloke. The move has proven to be an inspiration. :thumbsu:

With the confidence he is gaining/has gained, I reckon Sam would go well up forward now, if called upon to do so.

Agree Mick gets credit for this one, Rowe was just another list clogger until he found his niche down back. Very reliable and if he gets beaten, he doesn't get beaten badly.

Sammy Rowe has been an absolute revelation this year and full credit to the coaching staff for the move.

Has been winning the one on ones against the opposition's best forward and has become a great pillar to build our counter attack around especially with Mick playing a plus one in defense. has been nice and clean in close with the handball out to one of the smaller runners.

Rowe would of learnt a lot playing on Hawkins and I bet the next time the two line up against each other it will be a different story.

Rowe could probably afford to bulk up just a bit more in the upper body and also strengthen his core some more to be able to stand his ground with Hawkins who is probably the strongest big forward in the game.

Sam isn't there for his run and carry but mainly for the higher ball coming in where the body on body is paramount. The best back man in the world won't stop a great kick to a leading forward so pace isn't the be all and end all for him although having said that Sam isn't slow either.

Curnow - Disagree, I am not a fan and think that his best football for us was under Ratten. Think he's a decent tagger but feel that our midfield would be better balanced with someone else in there which I suspect will happen in the next couple of years.

Have to say, like him or not, he has definitely improved a lot since Mick got to the club. Plays with a lot more confidence, he's our new Carrazzo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowe could probably afford to bulk up just a bit more in the upper body and also strengthen his core some more to be able to stand his ground with Hawkins who is probably the strongest big forward in the game.
Scary thing about Hawkins is besides his obvious huge balk and strength, he's also deceptively nimble.

Anyway I agree Sammy would have learnt a lot from that contest.

Scary thing about Hawkins is besides his obvious huge balk and strength, he's also deceptively nimble.

Anyway I agree Sammy would have learnt a lot from that contest.

Agreed re his agility.

Thing is with the recent rule relaxation the big forwards now have more licence to use their strength with the ball coming in so a big back man needs to ensure he can muscle up in the contest.

fortynine was quite specific that he was talking about improvements THIS year. I agree with him regarding Curnow.
A further post said Curnow played better footy under Ratten. Might not have been fortynine. But I didn't reply to fortynine's post directly.

I was a big knock on Rowe early this year. His first few games were ordinary but I'm happy to eat pie on this one. He's been excellent the last couple months. I think he understands his limitations and doesn't try to do more than he is capable.

Docherty - Already showed plenty at Brisbane but was undersized and homesick, could almost give you this one
Graham - Not enough yet to make a definitive judgement
Everritt - I don't think he has improved with us, I think he's just carried on the same good form he showed at Sydney last year when he was given a consistent run

Casboult, Gibbs, Yarran and White are all part of the group I would have said.

Respect the avatar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back