2014: The worst season in a generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone is talking about how close the comp is but are neglecting the s**t game styles that have been implemented the last year or two. Yes the comp may be close in terms of wins etc. but the umpiring has been a disgrace, the games are boring to watch bar a handful, the game plans of each team is to flood the ball with as many players as possible (which links with the boring games), the Lions are cellar dwellers and Ablett is going to miss out on his 3rd Charlie. No fun to be had watching the majority of games this season.

This is pretty much what I've been trying to say.

Except the Brownlow I really don't care about.

Geelong fan just upset that the dominant era of his team is over. They are still a really good team but he has not yet come to terms with the fact that they are no longer a team that the other clubs fear.

Geelong are going ok. This is nothing to do with my feelings towards my own team. I've always been a footy fan first and a Geelong fan 2nd. Used to watch at least 5 games per round. It's down to 2 on a good week now.

This season is building as one of the best.
Too many have been sucked in by a whinging media who wouldn't know a highlight if it bit their ass.
Round 17 was a cracker and it was high jacked by the Malthouse crap.
The first half of round 18 extreme in its results and nothing. Not until the announcement of a CEO. Wow who cares.
Administrators and a gossip media pretending to be sports journos are the only poison in the game.

Umpiring controversy is nothing new only in the past it was understood that what has happened can't be changed. Now gossip media driven administrators think they can make changes that will change a past wrong and are only creating more problems.
Can't wait for Saturday night. The run to back to back is about to start.

Yeah I couldn't disagree more with the OP.

This is the first season in quite a while where half way through round 18, the premiership race is still genuinely wide open, and anybody on their day can beat anybody. This has been a fantastic season.

Really? The premiership was decided when Sydney trounced Geelong by 110 points.

I do have a lot of issues with the state of the game, the worst parts definitely being the umpiring, the scheduling and the Bombers crap. But I can't help but think at least part time of my apathy stelms from Melbourne's performances over the last 8 years.

Agree with OP on a few points but disagree on some as well.

The season has so far been pretty even. We have seen a few upsets this year.....more importantly this split round ;). < That doesn't mean the fixtures arent biased.

I do agree that football as a whole is on the decline. Umpired by blokes who really have no idea what they are doing. It would be a good round if I could sit down and watch 2 or more games......I cant anymore. The whole AFL just gives me the shits. I fully expect the A-league to run s**t here in 20 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to watch as many games as I could even if blowouts but now I struggle to get through even decent close games but I think a large part of that is the way it's presented on TV - everything from the camera angles to the commentators give me the absolute shits.

I'm not some old timer wishing it was the 80s again. Football up until even a year ago was of the highest quality it has ever been. We just experienced an amazing decade.

But the current umpiring methods of 'wait 30 seconds to ball up' and 'let it go so the supporters like us' has in a very short amount of time turned the game incredibly ugly. There is more attractive footy on display in the suburbs every week than at the MCG because of that.

All this coupled with the neverending Essendon saga is definitely enough fuel to justify a 'state of the game' thread.

If you are Geelong.... I think you are just mad Sydney pantzed you by 110.

If you are Geelong.... I think you are just mad Sydney pantzed you by 110.

Not at all. Though it is a good example of how sh*tty the scheduling has been all year among other things.

Don't know why people are jumping on me for being a Cats fan. I'm a football fan, I watch as many games as I can and the quality all around has gone down significantly. Hence the thread.

all of a sudden my team isn't a dominant force. Even now it's the most even season in a decade footy sux now!!11

Geelong were a mile off it in the early 2000's and I still loved the game. This is nothing to do with a team who are still in the top 4 supposedly being on the slide :rolleyes:

I maintain the biggest threat to the AFL is the AFL itself neglecting the actual game of footy and the fact that their business is a competition.

The AFL is hell bent on stamping out the bump so it doesn't upset Toorak tractor mothers, punishing players who 'damage the brand' by going out and having a drink like any other 20-something male, tinkering with the rules each season, playing games in 9 new and exciting timeslots each weekend, expanding the game into SE Qld where no one really cared 20 years ago and Western Sydney where no one really cares now etc. etc.

People like the bump. You go after someone with their head over the ball and you get rubbed out for a few weeks. That's always been the case. You have a split second to brace for contact or somehow acrobatically leap out of the way and you accidentally make contact to the head, you apparently chose to bump and get a week or two because you got 231.546 activation points.

That's just one aspect... just leave the effing game alone! That being said, I'm still watching footy and don't think 2014 is 'worst. season. ever' or anything like that. I've enjoyed Melbourne being a bit less s**t, Gold Coast's rise, the young Dogs midfield, Sydney and Hawthorn at their best, West Coast ummm, well we kicked 30 goals against GWS so that's something...

Not at all. Though it is a good example of how sh*tty the scheduling has been all year among other things.

Don't know why people are jumping on me for being a Cats fan. I'm a football fan, I watch as many games as I can and the quality all around has gone down significantly. Hence the thread.

But I just don't see how this year is all bad and suddenly last decade was best ever. I mean last decade had Ross Lyon Saints football, Paul Roos Swans football.... seriously, best decade ever?

Upsets a plenty, everyone has had a chance to see their team pull out something special and everyone has had at least one chance to see a hated team do something pretty embarrassing.
By chance you're not referring to a certain game from the weekend involving the Dockers..?

I think you're right about the skill level. The expansion was always going to water down the competition in the short term though.
It's such a tough game to umpire but surely they just need to come out in 2015 and stick to the rules in the book. If there is one, it doesn't seem like it at times. The change from week to week-I agree they are doing what the public wants-is a laugh. In saying that it's been an issue for years. People talking about the even ladder.. That isn't the argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back