Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Hollands tweet about Aker being a "whingeing, irrelevant old man", is a poor attempt at masking the real issue. Aker has a lot less talent at his disposal this year, while Hollands has "on paper", a superior side. 326 AFL games, 3 premierships and a Brownlow surely makes Aker anything but irrelevant. North has defeated Wodonga on both occasions this year. The real issue here is simply that Benny can't coach.
Wasn't Benny a North Albury lad to start off with?

I agree on all of that study. I don't think what was considered to be big money 15, 20 even 30 years ago comes close to what big money is these days and that is why people are uncomfortable about the situation Albury have. They have great resources to implement such plans. It simply isn't as easy for the clubs with less money and resource. The club I'm involved with work extremely hard with juniors and having those right structures in place to nuture talent. It's hard when kids turn around and see Albury and say bugger it I'm going to play there they win all the time il just be in s**t sides here. As you say success breds success. They spend ridiculous amounts and I mean ridiculous amounts of money on these recruits they get in. I mean most clubs would be flat out paying one of them let alone 6 or 7. But they have the resource to do so and good on them. The days of spending 250 to 300k and winning a flag and that being considered a hell of Alot of money to out lay are gone. Clubs go broke doing it. Myrtleford are a prime example. North albury in more recent times. Thats my opinion. Goodluck to Albury they are an awesome side and will take a power of beating. I can't see there dominance ending any time soon
I think the poaching of players hurt many people -Bush, Mackie, Carey, Lonie Hampton??, - a few years back now but footy people have long memories and I think Albury have now put other systems in place.

I think the poaching of players hurt many people -Bush, Mackie, Carey, Lonie Hampton??, - a few years back now but footy people have long memories and I think Albury have now put other systems in place.

Its about time we moved on from the equalisation rubbish isnt it?
Im a North man through & through all i wish is our club could be like Albury or Yarra even Lavi, reguardless of what they have outside of football, they have two coaches who dont put a foot wrong, a president who is bold arrogant and proud, and a football team who play like they train they do the hard work and it pays off!
All i see at North is an out spoken coach who would perfer to race go-karts then coach his side against the best!
Lets move on from it all cause Albury have BUILT a dynasty and if clubs arnt happy with that then give up!
Imagine telling Albury they cant have Brayden O'hara cause he carrys too many points!
I want to see gun players in the O&M, its what the comp is about..
I do see when smaller clubs come from but it just meams they have to work harder off-field

Wasn't Benny a North Albury lad to start off with?
Yes he certainly was. And when he made it known that he was coming back to the area 4 years ago the hoppers were very interested in getting him as coach. He played North off against Wodonga to get the best deal he could. Wodongas offer was higher, North got Bob Craig. Then Wodonga announced they were in financial trouble. I'm not sure of the Dogs financial position but certainly Ben leaves the club (on field) in a worse state then when he arrived. North, on the other hand, have been more than competitive in most games and are eradicating their debt. I'd say they dodged a bullet in missing out on Hollands.

Im a North man through & through all i wish is our club could be like Albury or Yarra even Lavi, reguardless of what they have outside of football, they have two coaches who dont put a foot wrong, a president who is bold arrogant and proud, and a football team who play like they train they do the hard work and it pays off!
All i see at North is an out spoken coach who would perfer to race go-karts then coach his side against the best!
Lets move on from it all cause Albury have BUILT a dynasty and if clubs arnt happy with that then give up!
Imagine telling Albury they cant have Brayden O'hara cause he carrys too many points!
I do see when smaller clubs come from but it just meams they have to work harder off-field

Wizards,
u are spot on.Great work by the Hoppers this season,obviously have seen the light in implementing a long term sensible business plan.
The O&M has been recognized as one of the best country footy leagues for more then 60 years.Hats off to Albury and Yarrawonga in raising the bar.
And talking about long term business plans,, take a look at Hume League club , Osborne. Now , there is no township here, just a footy ground in amongst acreages of farmland paddocks.But for some 40 years they have participated in finals nearly all of these years and won more flags then anyone in the comp over this time. Fact is , they implemented a long term business plan back in the 1970s which has seen the club have a steady stream of income, allowing them to pay decent coin to recruits, as well as create a culture where the local lads commit to playing there because of the success.. Even this preseason, the experts were predicting that Osborne will be nowhere this season.... how wrong they were.The Osborne story is a incredible story of how to run a football club....... maybe some O&M clubs representive people should go out and have a talk to Gary Oconnell at Osborne..

I think a points system is the go. Though I think it should be implemented by the vcfl and be a statewide system. There is no point the o&m having one if the gv doesn't. The commentary about albury and yarrawonga is interesting and everyone saying it goes in cycles and there have been other eras before. This is true though did those teams have the spending power and resources of an albury? The construction industry must be quite a lot more fascinating and lucrative in this area than in other parts of the country.
Yarrawonga will be interesting to watch to see how they progress. Plenty of their fringe players have already left and some of their local talent is getting on. If they can still afford it will they simply top up or will they invest in local talent?
I still don't think its impossible for the myrts and corowas of the league to win a flag though I think they have to rely on a great group of local talent that they can top up on. The saints appear to have a class group coming through and they have to convince them to stick around or be willing to travel. The roos grabbed a couple of flags with a majority local group in 03 the 2000 one not so much.
Rant nearly over. The two Wodonga teams WTF! how they are so crud is mystifying even with the district clubs that town should be able to produce at least one competitive team.
Rant done

FORMER AFL champion and North Albury coach Jason Akermanis has been charged with two breaches of the Ovens and Murray league’s code of conduct after criticising the league’s tribunal for clearing Wodonga’s Sam Wortmann of striking.

Akermanis was also charged with speaking about the case on air prior to the hearing. He is expected to be fined.

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned or wasn't there much in it?

It is ok for people outside looking in to say this. The amount of hours spent by committee members and volunteers working there absolute ringer off so that clubs get teams on the park and generate enough money to stay afloat is staggering. To say that Albury just work harder off the field is an insult. No matter how hard a committee works there not going to generate the cash flow off an Albury. There only hope is that they put got systems in place to develop juniors and get lucky with some above average kids coming through and develop them into the best they can be. And hopefully they stick around. And as far as albury poaching from other o and m clubs being a thing off the past that's a load of bs. Go ask there president who they tried to poach mid season this year. It's a joke.

I must start by saying I am not an Albury supporter, I don't really follow anyone in the O&M. In saying that I have figured out according to the proposal in the paper yesterday, that the Albury senior side that played yesterday was worth roughly 70 points and there was another 18-20 points in the reserves side. Now if uncontracted players want to go to another side in the same comp should they be stopped? In my opinion no, who are we to tell someone that instead of going to another club in the same league you have to go bush as no club will allocate more points to an O&M player then an AFL player. Don't get me wrong, something needs to be done about equality but I agree with the league about helping to bring the bottom sides up, not the top sides down. And as far as the proposal in the paper from the group of former players and officials that are concerned about the game, if that's not a witch hunt to pull Albury back to the pack, then my arse doesn't point to the ground.

So as the home and away season is only a month away what's everybody's thoughts?
I'm tipping Albury to beat lavington in the grand final with big sentanna kicking a bag.
Really loved the rise of corowa Rutherglen this year and of course north Albury producing such a competitive year with the doom and gloom that surrounded them in the present season. The fact they are not going to finished last in any grade is a huge effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So as the home and away season is only a month away what's everybody's thoughts?
I'm tipping Albury to beat lavington in the grand final with big sentanna kicking a bag.
Really loved the rise of corowa Rutherglen this year and of course north Albury producing such a competitive year with the doom and gloom that surrounded them in the present season. The fact they are not going to finished last in any grade is a huge effort.

I reckon North Albury are the story of the season looking from afar. I hope they can build from here and never get back to the dark days of this pre season

Albury to win the flag,,, to many big guns and very good young players who are learning/improving with every game from these big guns,giving a very strong even side all over the field. As a rule of thumb, the top 6 players at each club generally play a major influence over the season, but in Alburys case, its their top 12 players!! Such is their evenness and depth..Lavy or Yarra to challenge. Lavy badly need to get some of their gun long term injured players back as soon as possible to gain some much needed game time and match fitness before big finals games,,,, if they don't, I think Yarra might slip into the decider.Cannot underestimate them and with McKee, Pettifer and Mcmillan hitting good form, O connor to come back and the Fev getting 100% serious in the finals, one would not be wise to say they cant make it !
Frank, agree with your comments about Cor/Ruth and the Hoppers.Great to see.Also heard there was a crowd of some 1200 at Bunton Park last week against Lavy.... Credit to all involved at Bunton Park.All going well, I see them playing finals in 2015.Now that would be a huge turnaround in such a short time ( doom and gloom predictions in early 2014.)Shows just what can be done when people get committed/involved.
Myrtlefords improvement has been good to see as well.
Very disappointing has been the 2 Wodonga clubs. There is nothing better when a Wodonga club is up and about and playing a Albury club in the same scenario...... always good hard grudge matches, the comp. needs this to.So hopefully the Wodonga clubs can get back up there.

Go to the O&M website, click on video, then coaches, will take you to all the games, click on them and it will ask for a password its - SSAOMFNL
Can watch all the games!
Ps im not an outsider frank

I think most if not all of us want to see the gun players in the O&M, but if it means going and to watch Albury belt the opposition 16 times out of 18 then i'll give it a miss, after all I can go and watch them train on a Tuesday or Thursday and see exactly what i'd see on Saturday, players running around witches hats, because that's what it amounts to plus it wouldn't cost me anything to get in.

As far as North is concerned, clearly you aren't seeing a lot of North Albury, otherwise you would see more than an outspoken coach. We all new he'd be outspoken, that's how he's made his living, that and being one of the AFLs great modern day players.

There is good reason why North Albury's crowds are consistently out numbering those at the sports ground this season, I believe it's the exciting but inconsistent brand of footy be played by a bunch of local kids, coached by an outspoken but very astute Akermanis.

Tim Sanson must be asked to step down from the equalisation committee as Lavington must now be the most dominant side country football has ever seen! I wonder if Tim will start watching O&M games again as the panthers can't be the "distant 3rd" he was quoted as saying in the paper 3 weeks ago? They are the only side this year to beat Albury so to me the hunters are the now the hunted, good on them! They stick to there style of play and it obviously works for them, Albury played dumb football and got sucked into lavi's style. They were 12 points down for most of the last And still played the same style they had played all day, why not try having a stay at home fwd instead of pushing everyone up the ground, give lavi an extra player at the ball and back your guys in to win the contest, at worst you lose by 5 goals instead of 2 and at best you sneak a win.

Last edited:
great to See Wangaratta defeat wang Rovers and move within two points of the top five, and with the maggies playing north and the rovers playing the pigeons next week, very well should be in the top five next week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back