Toast Big Sam Rowe

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah mate, I think he has moved on from a good story to a great player, he interviews well and seems like a good guy aswell,

He is playing out of his skin right now.

Who will he go to against freo ?? As Jamo probs get Pav

One for the Malthouse doubters...

When Mick first started playing Sam in defence, I have to admit I thought it smacked of desperation. Find somewhere, anywhere we can put this bloke. The move has proven to be an inspiration. :thumbsu:

With the confidence he is gaining/has gained, I reckon Sam would go well up forward now, if called upon to do so.

Blues might morph into the Swinging Blues? Rowe - next swingman off the production line at Visy Park? Seriously, may be an option now and again - remember SOS being swung up forward with great effect. Rowe has certainly gained confidence down back - with Watson it went the other way I reckon.

Right now I'm happy to see him wield the iron fist of defence but would like him to back himself to mark more in the future.
Malthouse mentioned that today, I think with every good game he plays his confidence will too. I didn't think he had it in him to play at this level, very excited to see his progress next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowey certainly has marking power, so hopefully he can translate that to some neat intercept marking in future. Hopefully just confidence and experience down back in this regard.

So when Stevo said Rowe wasn't happy with our offer it's probably because it was only a 1 year deal. We've upped our offer up to 2 years.

He's growing with each game, you can see a linear progression happening as each extra piece of his defensive spectrum falls into place.

Rewatching the GC game, his vision coming out of the back 50 and his general positional awareness are getting much better. Considering he has played very little defence it's been a really impressive move. If he can add a little bit more upper body strength he will be a tough prospect for forwards going ahead.

The big challenge is against Hawkins this week, he was the only forward this year to give Rowe a bath. Hawkins kept initiating contact then using his strength to push Rowe off the line and mark it on the chest. I remember they switched Jamison onto him later so they might stick with that matchup again. Rowe should be able to win the matchup on Kersten if he gets it.

Happy to say I was wrong and apologize for being very wrong. Thought he was a real plodder, when really he just needed some confidence and has turned into our best KPD. Notice with him doing more of the monster jobs, Jamison has been on the park more. His shoulders must be thankful.

Rowe has taught me to exercise real patience with guys who have just come into the team. Glad I've learned it. Hope he goes on to play for many years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back