News Trigg to be Carlton CEO.

Remove this Banner Ad

did anyone watch 360 last night. I switched across about 10 mins in and they were focussing on the appointment. they then honed in on the "what does comes with afl approval mean?". it has been a bit of theme on the carlton board as well. they showed footage of some reporter asking the carlton chairman about the appointment, the tippet issue etc. the president responded, all ok, and lastly emphasised that it's very important to note that triggy comes with afl approval. the reporter blankly asked why he came with afl approval and the colour drained out of this blokes face and he looked stunned. had the reporter been any chop, he would have left the question at that or followed up with why are carlton so concerned about that. but, he then babbled on and gave the pres and out. it's worth having a look at, it was pretty funny.

this emphasis on 'afl approval' is interesting. not sure why it needs to keep being mentioned.
Will willingly bend over to the AFL, even if not in your clubs interests. ;)

We are all mates aren't we...

I said it in the trade thread last year we should have traded Douglas Last Year to someone like GWS for a first rounder push hard for free agents this year like we did for Betts last year. The way the supporters have supported Betts will boost others looking at coming over this is something that we as supporters can do.

What if Douglas didn't want to move to GWS?

It's easy to say, trade him to the club to get the best deal but clubs don't have that right or privilege yet.

Actually it's a Trigg to be Carlton CEO thread, not a continuation grizzle and complain thread. You've got plenty of those already. Leave the BS for them.

LOL you are funny positive comments from this lot yeah right
I cannot be more positive that Trigg is going to Carlton ;)

Best positive news I have had I've had in a bloody long time :)

If he'd left 5 years ago people would be singing his praises. Classic case of CEO staying on too long, enjoying the warm seat.
Correct - unhealthy to stay in a CEO position this long unless you have a special ability to reinvent yourself & bring in fresh talent... otherwise become complacent.

Jenny, I understand and respect your desire to see something positive written about a person you consider a friend, but please remember it's not your right or responsibility to police the nature and content of other people's posts. As long as they adhere to this forum's rules they should be free to post irrespective of whether you agree or not.

And telling people to move on is not going to make it happen any quicker, it's antagonistic and likely to have the reverse effect to what you intended.
Not expecting people to write anything positive about Trigg at all. Just positive things about moving forward now as a club. That's all.

Not expecting people to write anything positive about Trigg at all. Just positive things about moving forward now as a club. That's all.
Give it time, the Trigg announcement is still fresh so it's natural that he and his work here would still be a topic of discussion. Just try to weather the storm for now.;)

Personally I think there has been a surge of positivity on this board thanks to Trigg leaving and people are starting to look to the future with renewed optimism.

It's good to know that ~ Pick 54 is considered a top pick now.

I think there's a train of thought that wonders that if Sydney weren't aware of the deal and it's bending (very polite) of the rules, then they may have attempted to trade fairly and offered something near the picks required to recruit an $800k per year footballer. But, you will no doubt ignore that as being some type of weird conspiracy theory because Sydney didn't know about the deal and they most certainly wouldn't have taken advantage of it if they had.

I think there's a train of thought that wonders that if Sydney weren't aware of the deal and it's bending (very polite) of the rules, then they may have attempted to trade fairly and offered something near the picks required to recruit an $800k per year footballer. But, you will no doubt ignore that as being some type of weird conspiracy theory because Sydney didn't know about the deal and they most certainly wouldn't have taken advantage of it if they had.
There's also the possibility that we could have traded him to Brisbane one year earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney clearly profited from the knowledge of an 'illegal' agreement - it's complete bullshit, and they too should have been punished.

Sydney clearly profited from the knowledge of an 'illegal' agreement - it's complete bullshit, and they too should have been punished.

Who cares - we were always getting nothing for him. he was leaving anyway. Whether he went to Sydney, Brisbane or the Gold Coast - we were still getting sweet * all.

If we were a smart football club, we would be doing the same thing.

And if we benefited from it - it would be the greatest hoist in the history of football.

I'm quite sure Sydney knew about it. Doesn't change that we forgo pick 20 & pick 53.

Pick 53 is not, and never will be, a top pick!

Jen, do you remember when we hired those high-priced lawyers and were going to fight this like crazy, all the way into the courts if necessary, and then a week or so later decided to plead guilty to all charges?

Strange and sudden change of strategy. Why?

The AFL just had to throw those stat decs on the table and it was all over. So 'we' plead guilty, take the penalties and keep it as all as quiet as possible.

Committing an offence doesn't lead to automatic jail, there has to be a complainant. The AFL of course did not want to involve the police or the courts but those stat decs gave it incredible leverage to get a satisfactory outcome i.e. a guilty plea from Trigg and the club.

[Those stat decs are standard practice in the AFL - they are submitted by club officials when they submit the player contracts to the AFL. They declare there are no other arrangements with the player outside of the contract submitted to the AFL. It is meant to ensure there are no secret side deals (which is of course exactly what we had with Tippett.]
Quoted to double the chances of this being read

did anyone watch 360 last night. I switched across about 10 mins in and they were focussing on the appointment. they then honed in on the "what does comes with afl approval mean?". it has been a bit of theme on the carlton board as well. they showed footage of some reporter asking the carlton chairman about the appointment, the tippet issue etc. the president responded, all ok, and lastly emphasised that it's very important to note that triggy comes with afl approval. the reporter blankly asked why he came with afl approval and the colour drained out of this blokes face and he looked stunned. had the reporter been any chop, he would have left the question at that or followed up with why are carlton so concerned about that. but, he then babbled on and gave the pres and out. it's worth having a look at, it was pretty funny.

this emphasis on 'afl approval' is interesting. not sure why it needs to keep being mentioned.
The AFL is the real deciding factor behind CEO appointments, it's not even a secret anymore. That's why they were so keen to get Brian Cook from Geelong to North a couple of years ago, when North looked like imploding off-field again. CEO's just do not get appointed unless the AFL has approved it, and more often than not, they are the ones who arrange it.

Having thought about it for 24 hours, I don't feel like giving Trigg any credit or thanks on the way out at all after they manner in which he's handed his engagements with the club's supporters, which it's clear he viewed as an inconvenience and impediment to him doing his job rather than the reason he had it in the first place.

Here's a quick mud-map of the *-ups this dickhead has managed to deftly execute over the years; (just the ones which sprang to mind, I know there's more)

1. Lying to us by claiming we could wear the hoops more often if we adopted a white clash jumper - which we now wear more often than ever before.
  2. Ignoring the results of a poll to decide said Guernsey, and choosing his own preference, making a mockery of the entire process.
  3. Putting Neil Craig on staff, only to have to sack him the same year.
  4. Calling the supporters who paid his wage 'pathetic' and 'agitators'
  5. Sacking Matt Rendell with some vague references to previous indiscretions which no-one could quite recall, and telling him 'mud sticks' - only to seemingly forget that statement during Tippett-gate.
  6. Conducting an illegal deal outside of the rules to keep Tippett, which he then rescinded - verbally - and vetoing a solid trade to Brisbane which would have not only gotten us something - instead of nothing - for our highest paid player, instead of a huge fine and lost picks which will set us back at least 5 years.
  7. Promising to 'tell the whole story' of the above at the appropriate time - and never coming clean.
  8. Being Vlad's finger puppet for years
  9. Not believing in fitness coaches, and letting Schwerdt go to Gold Coast.
  10. Adelaide Oval - a deal that was so good, we needed him to stick around to see it through - and now we need him to stick around to fix it.
  11. Our reserves model v Port's reserves model. Enough said.
  12. That pathetic Raven on our logo.

No, this guy can well and truly go and get ****ed for everything he's done to the club over the last 5 and more years, and then some more for having the brazen arrogance to pretend he was doing us all a favour while he did it - and it was us in the wrong for doubting him.

Good luck at a club which is actually answerable to it's supporters, you conceited fool.

Last edited:
His exit interview on 5AA was classic Trigg and showed he'd learnt nothing from the whole Tippett saga. Convinces himself that any negativity from the fans was a "small pocket" of "uninformed" (pretty hard to be informed when you renege your promise to reveal all) people and played no part in his decision to leave now. Strange that he cited fan pressure as the reason he broke the rules to keep Tippett but now he says it doesn't affect him - BS merchant til the end.

I'm quite sure Sydney knew about it. Doesn't change that we forgo pick 20 & pick 53.

Pick 53 is not, and never will be, a top pick!

The topic of discussion is what did the shady dealings cost us. The draft picks are undeniable, you say pick 20 and 53 because that is what sydney offered. I'm saying that if not for the deal that hamstrung us, we would have been offered better picks or a player with 20 of some value. Therefore, the deal also cost us being offered something remotely near what Tippett was worth. It's a pretty simple concept to grasp, but only if you're prepared to.

The topic of discussion is what did the shady dealings cost us. The draft picks are undeniable, you say pick 20 and 53 because that is what sydney offered. I'm saying that if not for the deal that hamstrung us, we would have been offered better picks or a player with 20 of some value. Therefore, the deal also cost us being offered something remotely near what Tippett was worth. It's a pretty simple concept to grasp, but only if you're prepared to.

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SYDNEY.

I'M TALKING ABOUT WHAT ADELAIDE VOLUNTARILY GAVE UP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back