List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the plus side, the commentators go nuts every time Rohan gets near the ball*

On the other hand, that's only 3 or 4 times per game.

(* this will stop if he leaves $ydney)
Commentators are liable to go nuts for any player who is likely to take at least one bounce.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He would probably pick Richmond, Melbourne, Carlton because he would be GUARANTEED 22 games a year and not have to fight for a spot. Over the course of his career, he is likely to play in finals with any of these clubs.
Finals, but not Grand Finals. Again, why would you want to play for one of these clubs? Based on our current midfield age and experience, Shiel would be a walk up start in our 2015 midfield.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
I'd love to get karmichael hunt on board
Sure, he's no superstar, but could provide good depth
He isn't actually that bad of a footballer, and is being judged based on his pay check

He isn't actually that bad of a footballer, and is being judged based on his pay check
He's not that good either.

This club doesn't need someone named campaigner.

Edit: Oh, I see what happened there. Anti-bad-word auto-correct.

tops

Senior List
Nov 14, 2013
Suckling isn't going to cut it.

Hawks need to be brave or get creative.

e.g Put Birchall on the table, and see what offers are forthcoming.

With our ageing midfield we have to make hard decisions. Birchall Will be 27 Next year that's three years until 30 and in AFL terms almost over the hill. Dylan shiel Will be 22 years old that's eight years until 30. Shiel is a gun and we have to make hard choices if we are going to stay competitive. I love Birchall But sometimes you have to make the hard choices. We still have suckling and Durey off the half backline which is still pretty Damn good. So if something like this happens I won't be crying too much.

Last edited:
With our ageing midfield we have to make hard decisions. Birchall Will be 27 Next year that's three years until 30 and in AFL terms almost over the hill. Dylan shiel Will be 22 year that's eight years until 30. Shiel is a gun and we have to make hard choices if we are going to stay competitive. I love Birchall But sometimes you have to make the hard choices. We still have suckling and Durey off the half backline which is still pretty Damn good. So if something this this happens I won't be crying too much.
I'm of the same opinion. Good half back flankers come and go, elite mids not so much.

dipper86

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2004
Dimmeys
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea SSC Napoli
I'm of the same opinion. Good half back flankers come and go, elite mids not so much.

I concur with this statement but Birch is an elite half back flanker, they are not so easy to find......he has been an up start in our side since 18......it just doesn't sit right with me that he wouldn't be finishing his career with our football club.

I concur with this statement but Birch is an elite half back flanker, they are not so easy to find......he has been an up start in our side since 18, he has earn't the right to finish his career with our football club......it just doesn't sit right with me.
Tough call may need to be made, regardless of if it's Birch or someone else.

I won't be surprised if we do.

Lethal44

All Australian
Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He doesn't get enough of the pill. Think rioli but a third of the amount if touches and 20 times less impact.
He'd be behind players in our reserves.
You're entitled to your opinion and I apologise for my dramatic approach to get my opinion across.

No need to apologise, I'm just throwing names up and seeing what people think.

If you went back to my original post, I was suggesting we may be able to off load Hale to a club, who's window is open and are in need of a second ruckman in return for a young player.

sonnyboy123

Debutant
Aug 17, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With our ageing midfield we have to make hard decisions. Birchall Will be 27 Next year that's three years until 30 and in AFL terms almost over the hill. Dylan shiel Will be 22 years old that's eight years until 30. Shiel is a gun and we have to make hard choices if we are going to stay competitive. I love Birchall But sometimes you have to make the hard choices. We still have suckling and Durey off the half backline which is still pretty Damn good. So if something like this happens I won't be crying too much.

I can't believe people on here are willing to give up players of this ilk.
Last year there were 100 odd pages begging buddy to stay , please font leave . Now at the drop of a hat see ya later birch!
I under stand we have to be forward thinkers but **** me , the guys a gun and has been for 8 or do years .
If he was up for free agency and wanted to leave everyone would be up in arms.

Shiel hasn't even proved himself yet!!!

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No need to apologise, I'm just throwing names up and seeing what people think.

If you went back to my original post, I was suggesting we may be able to off load Hale to a club, who's window is open and are in need of a second ruckman in return for a young player.

On this years form Hale would be lucky to get picked in the rookie draft.

Granted you're throwing up names but who would they replace in the side/on the list and how would they improve the team over the guy he's replacing?

I can't see Rohan improving our team.

Last year there were 100 odd pages begging buddy to stay , please font leave . Now at the drop of a hat see ya later birch!
I under stand we have to be forward thinkers but **** me , the guys a gun and has been for 8 or do years .

It's the internet. It's the discussion.

No words written on here really matter as to what the HFC are going to do.

Chill.

sonnyboy123

Debutant
Aug 17, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's the internet. It's the discussion.

No words written on here really matter as to what the HFC are going to do.

Chill.
I understand that , I'm saying from a supporters point of view.
Last year we all bled that buddy was going to leave , now supporters are saying bye to another champ .
Just funny how people change there mind to suit the situation!
I'm chill.

tops

Senior List
Nov 14, 2013

People were up in arms when we Traded Trent Croad and Luke McPharlan for the number one pick in the draft. That's the perfect example of a hard of a hard call. But Hodge turned out to be a superstar. A brave decision but sometimes you need to make them to stay on top of the ladder if that's what you want. We haven't had a high first-round pick for a long time because of our Success if you don't make a hard call sometimes you drop-down like the Brisbane Lions did after their three premiership's. So if you have to go after stars in other ways and if that means getting rid of somebody who is a champion but getting older for a young gun who will be a Superstar in his own right within a couple of years then sometimes hard calls need to be made. But if you know a better way to get a star player like sheil without having to give up something in return please tell.

Last year we all bled that buddy was going to leave , now supporters are saying bye to another champ .
I'm chill.
Depends. Not everyone has the same mindset.

I'd be content with numerous players being put up for trade as long as the end game was to win another flag with Hodge, Burger and Mitch still around.

Big A

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We get that Shiel wants to come back to Victoria, but, if I was Shiel that wouldn't be my sole reason. Surely he has to take into account where he wants to go. This is a career decision.
I'd be looking at the coach, Clarkson is the best coach in the comp...would playing under Clarkson get the most out of my ability. Yes. he has a proven track record
Who would I be learning my trade from, Hodge Mitchell Burgoyne....all have different strengths, a winning mentality and a vast knowledge pool to improve me as a player.

Wake up Shiel......Hawthorn is your destiny.

Totally agree. For the ambitious and those that want the highest challenge, satisfaction and ultimate fulfilment with glory to top it off...

Suckling isn't going to cut it.

Hawks need to be brave or get creative.

e.g Put Birchall on the table, and see what offers are forthcoming.

Agree. To stay at the top of the tree (dynasty), Gimme Shiel and O'Rouke and I'll give up Birch and Suckers the way things are going atm. Lithers allows for this somewhat and what a great boon he is! Throw in Stratts back coming back to and staying in top form, we are covered. Throw in Brand, Kurt and potentially/especially Frawley and we are sweet.

He is a top 3 ball winner for us and regular top 5 player. I don't think we can afford to be without him. Birchall for Sheil would be a net loss.

Disagree entirely. We can cover Birch - esp in the form he's been in THIS year, if this is an indication of what MAY become...hope not. Shiel is a JET and would thrive at the Hawks giving us much grunt and polish

Finals, but not Grand Finals. Again, why would you want to play for one of these clubs? Based on our current midfield age and experience, Shiel would be a walk up start in our 2015 midfield.

Exactly

For me, I don't give a sh1t who we have to give away to get two of Shiel, Mitchell, Sloane, Danger and Cotchin. Throw in we are strongly in the mix for Frawley, and the great shape our list is in atm and it will be happy days for a long while

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm chill.

If you ask most people they didn't really mind buddy leaving if we were duly compensated. The fact we got pick 19 as opposed to collingwood getting pick 11(approx) is what really irritated fans. That and he made a rival stronger.

sonnyboy123

Debutant
Aug 17, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didn't mind that buddy left hey ? Easy to say that now. I would mind having him in our forward line . Anyway , I'm sure the club will do what they thinks best.
If you ask most people they didn't really mind buddy leaving if we were duly compensated. The fact we got pick 19 as opposed to collingwood getting pick 11(approx) is what really irritated fans. That and he made a rival stronger.

Lethal44

All Australian
Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On this years form Hale would be lucky to get picked in the rookie draft.

Granted you're throwing up names but who would they replace in the side/on the list and how would they improve the team over the guy he's replacing?

I can't see Rohan improving our team.

The Swans can, that's why they keep playing him ahead of some pretty talented players, he intrigues me, I reckon this time next year, well be talking break out year for Rowan, only time will tell I guess.

Alsmypal

All Australian
Oct 8, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Think we need to start thinking outside the square a bit.

I can see Melbourne being cashed up with the loss of Frawley and Clark.

Surely we would be looking at someone that's an up and coming mid. With the loss of a KPF and KPD I'd be throwing up Shoeys name as trade bait....

As for Rowan I'd pass. The only players I'd be keen on is ones that can fill a role. What would his be?

I think we will end up in a bidding war for Frawley and don't think he's worth what he's asking. Give lake another year and go after Jaksh.

I'd keep the cash for players coming out of contract and go after an inside mid.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Wow, where were you when I threw up the Stratton for elite mid thread..?:p
I got smashed for suggesting a Half back flanker could be found far more easily than a new elite mid.

List Manager

Club Legend
May 21, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone else thinking this may be a year to add to our long term depth/structures with guys getting limited opportunities at other clubs/seeking a return to Victoria and then chasing the free agent stars next year?
I have previously mentioned Jarrod Lyons from Adelaide as an example. Others could include Geelong's Jackson Thurlow and Collingwood's Kyle Martin. This type of player would come much cheaper than the Dylan Shiel's of the world and bringing them into the club would add depth as a worst case scenario and still gives the players plenty of time to develop into best 22 players given their age.

Doing so will more or less see us not have to trade out any quality over the next 2 seasons yet still improve our list. Two other candidates to potentially trade for at a slightly higher expense could be Kristian Jaksch (already been mentioned many times) and Collingwood's Jack Frost. I'm still not sold on Frawley even as a free agent and Geelong appear to be the front runners (media speculation anyway).

Given the well documented and inevitable retirements of Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Burgoyne, Lake and Hale and the increase in TPP next season there will be plenty of freed up cash to go hard after 1, if not 2 of the guys on the below list without jeopardising any of the quality on our already deep list or giving up a first round draft next year. Then the 2016 draft is one of the weakest drafts in many years so picks will not be at a premium therefore continuing to strengthen our list via free agency and trading in established players will be the way to go at this point.

I know the Hawks have been long time admirers of the Dandenong Stingray's Tom Lamb and are hoping he is still available with their first pick this year. He is a 193cm goal kicking utility who may finally give us that different (tall) dimension in the midfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mhqHMTeYKu4#t=2

Current 2015 free agents:
Patrick Dangerfield, Trent Cotchin, Ryan Griffen, Taylor Walker, Matthew Kreuzer, Tom Hawkins, Grant Birchall, Andrew Swallow and Jack Steven.

Free agent rule changes currently being discussed and could also see these players become free agents next year:
Rory Sloane, Steven Motlop, Luke Shuey, Stephen Hill and Daniel Rich.

List Manager

Club Legend
May 21, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How are Lyons, Thurlow and Martin better than any of the guys at Box Hill who will be looking for senior games in the not-too-distant-future?

Did you miss the part about adding to our depth with the inevitable retirements of Hodge, Sewell, Mitchell, Burgoyne etc?
In case you aren't up to speed, the strongest teams in the competition are those with the deepest list and if you are happy to have Hallahan, Simpkin, Woodward, Langford, Hartung, Whitecross, Anderson, Shiel and Ross leading our midfield brigade for the next decade then so be it but I'm pretty confident the club will be thinking otherwise.

As a side note, when was the last positive post you wrote in reply to another posters thread? You seem hell bent on trying shoot everyone down that airs their thoughts but don't seem to have much in the way of quality to add yourself? That's just the way you come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back