Preview Changes vs Hawthorn Rnd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true. Hawthorn hammered us for most of the day.

Thanks, I'm getting old and wondered about my memory....

I think we competed well and worked hard, but having a decent forward structure and good ball movement makes it so much easier to score...

Really? I don't see it. But I'm trying to stay positive, so please give me something to stay positive about.
He's a country footballer playing his first 3 AFL games. Still a long way to go for AFL level, but I don't think he's been deplorable.

He's a country footballer playing his first 3 AFL games. Still a long way to go for AFL level, but I don't think he's been deplorable.
Fair enough but he's had 3 years on an AFL list and is 25ish years old, yet he still looks like a country footballer at this level. Big, strong but doesn't consistently make a contest, can't run and struggles with the pace of the game. The best I can say about him is he tries hard and he can kick for goal.

I'm prepared to give him a couple more weeks but he's a delist for me at this stage.

What I remembered from the Tassie game last year
Griffen dominating and getting the 3 brownlow votes
Grant having another good game in that patch, though it was before the dominant games he had against Carlton and West Coast so it was met with cautious optimism rather than all-out celebration
Luke Hodge kicking one of his trademark BS goals from outside 50.

Fair enough but he's had 3 years on an AFL list and is 25ish years old, yet he still looks like a country footballer at this level. Big, strong but doesn't consistently make a contest, can't run and struggles with the pace of the game. The best I can say about him is he tries hard and he can kick for goal.

I'm prepared to give him a couple more weeks but he's a delist for me at this stage.
He's only 23

He's only 23
And had knee reconstructions when younger, and didn't play in the TAC cup (just like Dale Morris remember), which means that we shouldn't take age into consideration because he has more untapped potential, not having gone through the standard pathways that 95% of Victorian-based players do. And, his first season or even first two seasons were stunted by Williamstown in playing VFL Development league, as well as playing multiple positions
In that case we shouldn't treat him like he's 23, we should treat him like he's any other 3rd year player (or even less given the above)
In my eyes he has a few more years to prove himself in that case. I wouldn't be against him playing every game for the season here on out irrespective of form.

And had knee reconstructions when younger, and didn't play in the TAC cup (just like Dale Morris remember), which means that we shouldn't take age into consideration because he has more untapped potential, not having gone through the standard pathways that 95% of Victorian-based players do. And, his first season or even first two seasons were stunted by Williamstown in playing VFL Development league, as well as playing multiple positions
In that case we shouldn't treat him like he's 23, we should treat him like he's any other 3rd year player (or even less given the above)
In my eyes he has a few more years to prove himself in that case. I wouldn't be against him playing every game for the season here on out irrespective of form.

I think we have nothing to lose and everything to (potentially) gain by doing this.....

I think he's got a little bit of something. Good lead, good kick, good aggression - may lack mobility and tank at this stage, but depending on our overall stategy come post-season - I'd certainly think about offering him a senior spot...

That wasn't the game I saw. We only lost by 19 points in the end. Very windy conditions meant both teams were inaccurate all day. Only in the final quarter did Hawthorn finally pull away and put their stamp on the match.

with the week off there is no excuse for atleast throwing everything at them early and making it a contest longer then what the gold coast did against them weeks ago.

OUT--Roughead-Walliss-Austin-Boyd-Minson-Stevens
Inn----Darley-Talia-Campbell-Honeychurch-Cordy-Jones

Why not give Campbell and Cordy a shot together...

Rest- Roughead-Minson-Boyd-Stevens
Wallis Injured and give Austin a week back at Footscray

Year is over so lets see these guys play....

Why would you rest players the week after a bye?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being played out of position at AFL level for mine. Mentioned this somewhere else but playing as a half forward he sometimes gets lost and ends up out of position. Looks a lot better when he's coming out of the square (which he doesn't get to do a lot of atm because we're persisting with Crameri (dislike) and Stringer (like) as the deep forward.

Hmmm. Wallis is gone for the season. Roughead probably should be.

OUT: Wallis , Roughead.
IN: Talia, Jones.
I like this Steffoid but I'd go one further and add Fletch for Austin as well. I think it gives us a little more flexibility if Roughie is out... Seeing we have the Swans/Saints/GWS to come all with multiple talls, why not lets see what they can do?

Being played out of position at AFL level for mine. Mentioned this somewhere else but playing as a half forward he sometimes gets lost and ends up out of position. Looks a lot better when he's coming out of the square (which he doesn't get to do a lot of atm because we're persisting with Crameri (dislike) and Stringer (like) as the deep forward.
He has played well at CHF in the VFL though. I actually prefer him there as he's got good footskills and won't be double teamed. I just don't think he has 'it', usually with good players you see glimpses in their first few games, he's just looked like a big country footballer who's trying really hard.

Hawks completely hammered us all day? Must have been watching a different game. What I saw was Hawks skip out to early lead, game to and fro between 12-30 points until the end of the third quarter before Hawks piling on goals start of 4th and us getting a lot late. But for 2 and a 1/2 quarters there was nothing between the two teams. I guess when you are completely negative we don't deserve when we win and deserved to lose by more when we lose. It's like reverse excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back