Opinion After Eddie...

Remove this Banner Ad

Now don't get me wrong, I love Eddie. I have been drunk and pissed with him whilst wactching the Pies, the man is a legend of our club. After watching The Club tonight though I just got the impression that change may be in the air. The article about Alisa Camplin really impressed me, and I think that maybe she could be the next president of the Collingwood FC?

Now don't get me wrong, I love Eddie. I have been drunk and pissed with him whilst wactching the Pies, the man is a legend of our club. After watching The Club tonight though I just got the impression that change may be in the air. The article about Alisa Camplin really impressed me, and I think that maybe she could be the next president of the Collingwood FC?

She won't be around when Eddie retires in 2060. Eddie is my untouchable. His passion for the Pies ensures me he will do what he had to do in 2000 getting Mick if we go on our knees again.

If i could choose one person who i would least like to lose from our great club it would be Eddie(Tied with Pendles).

The man bleeds Black and White, he may cop a fair bit externally but he would do anything for Collingwood and i love the man.
But on top of all of that he is a brilliant businessman and i could think of no one better to head the biggest sporting club in Australia.

We would be mad to let him go and even if he were asked to leave it would take an army to separate him from the Collingwood Football Club. I'd argue with almost anyone that i'm more passionate about Collingwood than them, but it would be hard to argue with Eddie...

She won't be around when Eddie retires in 2060. Eddie is my untouchable. His passion for the Pies ensures me he will do what he had to do in 2000 getting Mick if we go on our knees again.

So the man who committed the greatest crime in the history of Collingwood by sacking Malthouse is untouchable. I am staggered!

I believe clubs like all organisations need to continually regenerate or they go backwards. Malthouse had been here long enough and I think Eddie is approaching that point. If Eddie is consistent he (the Board) should be looking to identify a high quality successor and groom them over a number of years to take over. Dare I say it, 'a succession plan'. It is how good organisations plan for the future.

Like most I suspect I admire what Eddie has done for the club, but different set of eyes over time is a good thing.

So the man who committed the greatest crime in the history of Collingwood by sacking Malthouse is untouchable. I am staggered!

I believe clubs like all organisations need to continually regenerate or they go backwards. Malthouse had been here long enough and I think Eddie is approaching that point. If Eddie is consistent he (the Board) should be looking to identify a high quality successor and groom them over a number of years to take over. Dare I say it, 'a succession plan'. It is how good organisations plan for the future.

Like most I suspect I admire what Eddie has done for the club, but different set of eyes over time is a good thing.
Clayton. What you say makes a lot of sense and your probably correct. But I don't want to see Eddie go.

I have highlighted the part of your theory where it breaks down. Other than yourself, I dont think anyone cares what you believe..... because of this weakness in your argument, the rest of the paragraph is just idle speculation.

Great lets just fix something again that is not broken. Changing coaches when on top has backfired dramatically over the last 3 years so why on Earth would we do it with the Presidency?? Ludicrous.

Whilst Eddie mishandled the succession plan by appointing a rookie coach the mans done far more good for the club than bad. He should however make the tough decision regarding the senior coach if we continue to underachieve and thats what im concerned about.

I'll back Camplin in.

She demands respect at an international level as an Olympic gold medalist and perhaps our equal best winter athlete ever. She is no doubt as strong as they come with what she's dealt with on a personal level and the look on her face post the Essendon loss was a sight to behold.

I love Ed and the work that he's done for our club, but I'm a big believer in the Kennett approach that these positions have a shelf life. Moving forward (over the next 18 months) IMO, a Demetriou/ McLachlin style handover from Ed to Alisa would be in the best interests of the club.

I agree with this. I love Eddie, love what he has done for us, and have no doubt that his every action at the club, and every time he opens his mouth about Collingwood, he believes will be to our benefit (even if not always the result). But we could be due soon for fresh eyes, a new take, a new dynamic at the top. Could also be the case that if Bucks fails (which I dont want), at the end of 2015 or 2016, Eddie might go with him.

Alternatively, of course, we could be on the verge of a major new era of dominance, and nothing would - or should - change at the top...

I cant even think why a Collingwood supporter might start a thread like this.

I am not suggesting that the board replace Eddie. I believe that a time will come in the not too distant future where Eddie chooses to end his time as president. I was simply asking people if they think that Camplin could do the job.

I am not suggesting that the board replace Eddie. I believe that a time will come in the not too distant future where Eddie chooses to end his time as president. I was simply asking people if they think that Camplin could do the job.
I know very little about her. Actually edit that I know next to nothing about her. However she won a gold medal with two fractured ankles which would suggest she is mentally strong and will pursue her goals regardless of obstacles. Also I like the idea of a female being the president. Women quite often can bring a different perspective and approach to organizations.
From the very little I have seen and know of her I would say I wouldn't have a problem with seeing her eventually take the reins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose it doesnt matter what is said in this forum. However, I just dont see the point in a collingwood supporter starting speculation on this. One of the strengths of the club is the unquestioned support for the board. Personally, I dont agree with any form of speculation

He made it, he broke it, he'll fix it.

Although it's inevitable, I just don't like to think of the day that Eddie moves aside. Most of my lifetime has been spent supporting a Collingwood football club which was mismanaged and even brought its knees. I just have a fear that without Ed it could happen again!

Eddie will retire when his clone has finished being grown in a tank somewhere under the Westpac Centre.

I can't imagine anyone else with the same passion and drive leading the club - the thought of Eddie stepping down depresses me.

I believe Eddie to be the most important Collingwood person in last 50 years including players and coaches. He will one day have a statue outside the club.

Despite this I agree with ClaytonM and Vicky Park that his time as President could be drawing to an end.

Rejuvenation is important but there is no rush. The club does need to be planning the succession and hopefully Eddie will still stay involved in some capacity as his contacts in the media and sponsors are invaluable.

I have highlighted the part of your theory where it breaks down. Other than yourself, I dont think anyone cares what you believe..... because of this weakness in your argument, the rest of the paragraph is just idle speculation.

Given you have responded and a number of others have as well it is obvious some people care what I believe:)

Great lets just fix something again that is not broken. Changing coaches when on top has backfired dramatically over the last 3 years so why on Earth would we do it with the Presidency?? Ludicrous.

Whilst Eddie mishandled the succession plan by appointing a rookie coach the mans done far more good for the club than bad. He should however make the tough decision regarding the senior coach if we continue to underachieve and thats what im concerned about.

It will be broken at some point in the future. Do we wait until it happens or do we have a plan in place to manage a transition to a new HIGH QUALITY successor.

Why is it that the Swans managed to have a coaching succession plan that worked, and the Hawks did the same with Kennett as president, but we are incapable of achieving the same. Funny how both of these organisations managed the change and where are they now?

Succession planning is the bread and butter of well run organisations. Waiting for a coach or President to fail before replacing them is just ludicrous. The art is in getting the timing right and process right.

Last edited: