Israel, Palestine, and everything related

Lester Burnham

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
i think peace it possible without Hamas in the picture. i believe that Israel by and large want peace albeit begrudgingly. i do not believe Hamas ever has any intention of creating a peace. one of their goals is the destruction of israel.

i think Hamas is the biggest problem here. Remove these radicals and the threat from inside gaza will be diminished and with this hopefully the borders can slowly open as trust builds. this is a pipe dream though. these radicals hate israel, hate zionists, hate jews and hate the west.

and it seems as if they are here to stay as well.
my 2c

This is from a reasonably balanced article.

What does Hamas want?

Hamas has stated that its aim is to ease the restrictions on entry of goods and freedom of movement in and out of the densely populated Gaza Strip. In a recent interview, the group’s political leader Khaled Meshaal said it would only accept a ceasefire that included long-term commitments to improve the “rights of the Palestinian people”.

Among these goals are the lifting of the Israeli and Egyptian blockade on the enclave, which currently severely restrict imports of vital goods including fuel, food and building materials.

Salman Sheikh, director of the Brookings Institution in Qatar, says Hamas is looking to use the conflict to achieve medium-term goals.

“They don’t just want a pause - that’s why the Egyptian initial [ceasefire] effort didn’t work - they want an agreement that would allow for an opening of the border and the release of those arrested by Israel.”

In more practical terms, Hamas - as the vastly inferior military force - is also looking to survive the Israeli assault without being crippled and will see that as a victory to some degree.​

Israel/Gaza – how does it end?

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
But you're fine with supporting Hamas who take their people's money to spend on weapons, set up their operations in places like hospitals and schools that should be left alone to be utilised by the sick, elderly, displaced and children. Children being brainwashed to hate Jews from a young age btw. These children don't stand a chance and neither does this region. It will never see peace if these are the values people up brought up believing in.
Criticising Israel and supporting Hamas are not the same thing.

All those poor brainwashed children being used as pawns by Hamas. I really feel sorry for the IDF, being forced to kill them must be horrible.
I think the regular trauma of being bombed and watching friends/relatives die regularly throughout one's childhood would have a bigger effect that Hamas brainwashing.
i think peace it possible without Hamas in the picture. i believe that Israel by and large want peace albeit begrudgingly. i do not believe Hamas ever has any intention of creating a peace. one of their goals is the destruction of israel.

i think Hamas is the biggest problem here. Remove these radicals and the threat from inside gaza will be diminished and with this hopefully the borders can slowly open as trust builds. this is a pipe dream though. these radicals hate israel, hate zionists, hate jews and hate the west.

my 2c
Sure, but you'd have to get the radicals on the other side out of the way too...
You think Netanyahu wants peace? Not to mention Lieberman and the real nutters...

Nov 9, 2010
de_dust2
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There are radicals on the other side too but compare the numbers. lets assume (a pretty high number) 10% of the ~appx 15million jews around the world want to destroy palestine. thats 1.5m

compare that with the 15-25% of muslims that are considered radicals and u have a number between 180m-300million.

1.5m vs 180m + vast difference of radicals that need to be neutralised

there are people taking sides simply because of religion so dont dismiss that.

thats a lot of people from a lot of different places that want to destroy israel and will help anyone that will fight for that cause.

hamas has also stated its aim is to destroy israel. pretty sure strauchny has posted quotes and sources multiple times in this and other threads(dont play the man. facts are facts on this one at least)

Floor Pie

Cancelled
May 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
There are radicals on the other side too but compare the numbers. lets assume (a pretty high number) 10% of the ~appx 15million jews around the world want to destroy palestine. thats 1.5m

compare that with the 15-25% of muslims that are considered radicals and u have a number between 180m-300million.

Wut?

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin

thats a lot of people from a lot of different places that want to destroy israel and will help anyone that will fight for that cause.

hamas has also stated its aim is to destroy israel. pretty sure strauchny has posted quotes and sources multiple times in this and other threads(dont play the man. facts are facts on this one at least)
wat

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yeah

wut?

Floor Pie

Cancelled
May 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Floor Pie carnthemlions Gough slicedndiced blackcat
faDxDO3.gif

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

my 2c

I think Moshe Dayan said it best.

If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies.

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City

Whilst a vast majority of Israeli citizens want peace and want their government to negotiate a proper peace settlement, the fact is that the Israeli government only want peace if it is completely on their terms, they have repeatedly shown that they are not willing to properly negotiate by placing unrealistic demands out their that they know won't be met as a criteria to negotiations beginning. They have also shown scant regarding for any previous treaties sign about dealing with illegal settlements and starting new settlements on illegally aquired land.

The fact is that the blocking of statehood by the USA on behalf of Israel shows that they are not interested in a peace settlement, because by allowing statehood it makes it much harder for Israel to continue their illegal actions.

Palestine needs proper statehood and Israel must pay restitutions to Palestinians for the theft of land.

Floor Pie

Cancelled
May 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
just saying there is a lot of radicals
1 in 4 Muslims are radicals? "Considered", clever word use. Where did you get the stats to back up your position?

I read that, and assumed you made estimates, to create an argument to support your view.

A major point that I think you need to understand, is that not all Palestinians are Muslim...

And then there is the general scheme of things. What does the global population of Jews or Muslims, have to do with the actual Israel v Palestine conflict?

This is a complex issue, and I am sorry to be blunt, but your attempt to simplify it to global population... I don't know what to write. Your ignorance is actually making me angry.

DardySingh360

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Meanwhile, in the Muslim enclave of Austria, vile Islamic protesters invaded the field of a football match involving the Israeli football team Maccabi Haifa and violently attacked the players. It's clear here that Muslims love playing the victim card, the pro-Palestinian 'protests' in the west are just a mass act of terror waiting to happen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...an-protesters-storm-pitch-attack-players.html

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Meanwhile, in the Muslim enclave of Austria, vile Islamic protesters invaded the field of a football match involving the Israeli football team Maccabi Haifa and violently attacked the players. It's clear here that Muslims love playing the victim card, the pro-Palestinian 'protests' in the west are just a mass act of terror waiting to happen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...an-protesters-storm-pitch-attack-players.html

Can't wait for smiling buddha to defend this and relate it to his Israel map.

Floor Pie

Cancelled
May 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

What does being a Muslim, have to do with the Israel - Palestine conflict?
You dropkick! Do you want me to bust out the evidence that you are just a racist, again?

Nov 9, 2010
de_dust2
AFL Club
Gold Coast
1 in 4 Muslims are radicals? "Considered", clever word use. Where did you get the stats to back up your position?

i paraphrased a quote from a video i saw last week that involved a panel of diplomats/intellectuals but i could be wrong on exactly who they were. i didnt just make these numbers up. i also said 15-25%, not 1 in 4. i even used 180m figure which was 1.5/10, not 1 in 4 like you have written

Back