Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing about the Melbourne premiership flag being found this morning I was reminded that I had been told some time ago that our 1947 flag is missing.
Laurence Angwin stole it.

r18914_46613.jpg

Didn't do a great job of hiding it though...

Premiership, finals , glory, the huge games.... So he coming to Carlton
Woah!!

I would love him to stay, I just cannot see it happening now. He clearly has an agenda of finding the best suitor out there. Cash I am sure is high on his list, but Finals and Premierships can swing a mans decision in this game.

I think he's gone.

Any news on this ? If we lose a defender and land Boyd would be nice to get Frawley as a free agent. I think I recall Mick saying we will be looking at free agency a month or so back.
club feels there is better money to be spent elsewhere. His price tag is out of this world.

club feels there is better money to be spent elsewhere. His price tag is out of this world.
Strongly agree. I would imagine we would be close tapping out on our salary cap if we took Frawley, besides which we have really found something in Rowe and White back there to help out Jamison allowing Hendo to go forward and seems to be a really good mix heading towards 2015 and a pre season without having 21 people going in for surgery this time around.

Say we lost Jamison in trading for Boyd. Would we be interested n.Brown? From memory he supported Carlton as a child.....
Imagine all the Collingwood ferals if we did that after all the other people we have

I'm interested in figuring out what GWS might want in addition to our 1st pick for Boyd. My feeling is that they would covet Yarran, who is such a rare game-breaking talent & unlike any of the players they currently have on their list (off the top of my head, can't think of any real speedsters in their midfield). However, Pick 6 + Yarran would be overs in my view, even considering all of the factors driving up his price - to the point where I think a straight swap would probably be equitable. If they are desperate for him, does it become a case of Boyd + Shiel/O'Rourke/Jaksch/Buntine/Hoskin-Elliot for Pick 6 + Yarran?

Having said that, and it's been acknowledged here, Yarran also represents an area of weakness for us - speed and skill. So it's a tough proposition.

IMO, they have a few needs: big key defender, rebounding defender, line-breaking midfielder, pacy small forward - amongst others. Outside of Yarran, and indeed our top handful of 'untouchables', there are actually a few players who could fit the bill. Given they gave up Adams for Heath Shaw, they're clearly not shy about going after mature defenders to marshal their backline and provide some run and carry. That makes me think Andrew Walker, assuming his value hasn't dropped too much. Additionally, their relative lack of mature key defenders and quality small forwards brings Jamison and Garlett to mind respectively. Obviously we need to give up something decent, but losing Jamison pretty much sets our backline back to square one (barring a miraculous rise of Watson), and Garlett would have next-to-zero trade value.

All that said, I think Walker looks a decent bet. Hard for me to gauge, but pick 6 + Walker isn't the worst offer going around. Thoughts?

Glad to hear it. It would seem Collingwood want to blow a big contract on him at the expense of another defender, likely Nathan Brown.

Its a lot of money for him.
Not to mention the seven years he is demanding according to a couple of clubs that have inquired.

Free agency was the love child of the AFLPA but they have birthed a monster. Frawley is no superstar but because it is a seller's market he can demand massive overs, and who ends up paying for it? The players at the club he goes to who have their earning capacity limited by the lack of cap space his contract creates.

Pandora's box indeed.

Not to mention the seven years he is demanding according to a couple of clubs that have inquired.

Free agency was the love child of the AFLPA but they have birthed a monster. Frawley is no superstar but because it is a seller's market he can demand massive overs, and who ends up paying for it? The players at the club he goes to who have their earning capacity limited by the lack of cap space his contract creates.

Pandora's box indeed.
Won't see me complaining when it negatively affects the Pies :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we give them Yarran and our first pick for Boyd we should give them Visy Park for a mirror and a handful of beads too.

It's a damn fool notion and anyone who seriously entertains it is as silly as a sack full of clowns.
I guess we agree then, because I don't see anyone seriously entertaining it? In fact, if you continued reading, you'll see I said a straight swap would possibly be more reasonable.

All that said, people need to appreciate how good Boyd is, and how much we'll have to give up for him. He was one of the most highly touted #1 picks in recent memory (well, we say that every year, but I feel he generated more buzz than Whitfield, Patton, maybe even Swallow as he was already headed to Gold Coast). As an 18yo he has shown he can compete with AFL key defenders and make an impact, which means there is less risk now then when he was an untried prospect - driving his value up even more. The sad truth is that our list is in pretty poor shape, and we don't have many players that would seriously pique the interest of a talent-laden side like GWS.

I'm interested in figuring out what GWS might want in addition to our 1st pick for Boyd. My feeling is that they would covet Yarran, who is such a rare game-breaking talent & unlike any of the players they currently have on their list (off the top of my head, can't think of any real speedsters in their midfield). However, Pick 6 + Yarran would be overs in my view, even considering all of the factors driving up his price - to the point where I think a straight swap would probably be equitable. If they are desperate for him, does it become a case of Boyd + Shiel/O'Rourke/Jaksch/Buntine/Hoskin-Elliot for Pick 6 + Yarran?

Having said that, and it's been acknowledged here, Yarran also represents an area of weakness for us - speed and skill. So it's a tough proposition.

IMO, they have a few needs: big key defender, rebounding defender, line-breaking midfielder, pacy small forward - amongst others. Outside of Yarran, and indeed our top handful of 'untouchables', there are actually a few players who could fit the bill. Given they gave up Adams for Heath Shaw, they're clearly not shy about going after mature defenders to marshal their backline and provide some run and carry. That makes me think Andrew Walker, assuming his value hasn't dropped too much. Additionally, their relative lack of mature key defenders and quality small forwards brings Jamison and Garlett to mind respectively. Obviously we need to give up something decent, but losing Jamison pretty much sets our backline back to square one (barring a miraculous rise of Watson), and Garlett would have next-to-zero trade value.

All that said, I think Walker looks a decent bet. Hard for me to gauge, but pick 6 + Walker isn't the worst offer going around. Thoughts?

I actually think it's a fair deal.
Would be interested in Treloar, (but then so would everyone).

Do you think they would go Walker & Garlett for their 3rd Rounder and Boyd?

I said the same thing in the trade thread. Walker feels like the sweet spot in terms of someone who is good enough to interest them but not so essential we couldn't stand to lose him. It would hurt, no doubt, but not fatal.

I think he would be attractive for them too. Experienced and flexible - could add a lot upforward complementing the big fellas.

$550K over 3 years for Frawley would be generous.

Any more than that then he can get stuffed.

Nah, that's going to far the other way. He is a top notch key defender entering his prime. We'd be mad to turn him down on something around 600-650K a year imo...It's just the 800K/year that is getting peoples backs up.

I am dead against trading Yarran. His first few years with us has was just a shy, homesick young kid who is now blossoming and has recently signed a new deal to stay with the club when eh could have easily headed back west to play with his best mate in front of his family and friends every week.

And we want to ship him off to GWS....let's not forget that he would have to agree to the move as well.

I just can't see it happening.

I am dead against trading Yarran. His first few years with us has was just a shy, homesick young kid who is now blossoming and has recently signed a new deal to stay with the club when eh could have easily headed back west to play with his best mate in front of his family and friends every week.

And we want to ship him off to GWS....let's not forget that he would have to agree to the move as well.

I just can't see it happening.
i am not saying i want yarran to go- of course not, but im saying that would be the reality thats all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back