Preview Round 18: West Coast Eagles V Richmond @ Patersons Stadium 25/07/2014 - 6:40 PM AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been very good the past month, especially last game at Geelong. Deserves his place. As for those complaining about Thomas he was held over as emergency for the AFL side last game, that was why he didn't play.

Gordons last 3 games in the VFL:
vs Collingwood 17 disposals(10k/7hb) 6 handball receives 3 marks 2 goals
vs Casey 20 disposals(12k/8hb) 10 handball receives 5 marks 4 tackles 1 goal
vs Geelong 28 disposals(17k/11hb) 8 handball receives 7 marks 1 tackle 1 goal.

had 18 touches against Casey and 15 against Collingwood according to the VFL report

V Geelong
Nathan Gordon
1 goal, 27 disposals (13 contested), 4 inside 50s
Played on a wing and through half forward. The most pleasing part of his game was his contested work, which is an area we’ve been working on. Kicked an important goal to put us in front. Good run and carry all day.

V Casey
Nathan Gordon
18 disposals, 6 marks

Another solid game on the wing, his work rate is really noticeable. He’s continuing to understand his role at setups and running patterns so he’ll continue to work on that.

V Collingwood
Nathan Gordon
15 disposals

Played on a wing and worked back hard to help out defenders. He did some good things but we need him getting more ball and doing more.

V Ballarat
Nathan Gordon
17 disposals, 5 marks

Played well on the wing early then went out of the game a bit. We need a bigger performance from him, a stronger presence around contests and more outside ball.

Compare that too McDonough

V Geelong
Matt McDonough
22 disposals (13 contested), 7 clearances, 11 tackles
Came into the midfield and won the contested ball. He competed hard all day inside, which is what we expect him to do. We really needed someone to step up in the middle and he did that. Excellent ball use by foot.

V Casey
Matt McDonough
2 goals, 24 disposals, 6 clearances
Played midfield and forward in what was probably his best game for the year. His ability to get to stoppages and contests and spread hard was the most impressive thing about his game.

V Collingwood
Matt McDonough
17 disposals, 4 inside 50s
Played a combination of roles – through the midfield early and then had to go to half back to give us stability there. We wanted more inside work from him and expect a four-quarter performance.

V Ballarat
Matt McDonough
22 disposals, 4 rebound 50s

Started down back and was solid but we needed something different in the last quarter so he played on ball. Got a few touches, was a bit messy but an OK game from him.

Or Helbig

V Geelong
Brad Helbig
17 disposals, 5 tackles
Had a big knock early and battled his way through really well. The determination he showed to finish off the game, given the knock, was outstanding. Played across half back for most of the game and kept competing all day and shutting down Geelong’s attacks.

V Casey
Brad Helbig
19 disposals, 5 tackles
Brad played a mixture of half back and through the midfield, his contested work in the second half was terrific when we really needed it. A really solid performance from him.

V Collingwood

V Ballarat
Brad Helbig
24 disposals, 5 inside 50s

He was a solid contributor for us but was well beaten. It was his first game as a midfielder so it was really good to see him in there but we need a bigger effort from our midfielders.

This is not an attack on Gordon I'm really happy he is playing as i want to see if he can go forward with us but what i have continually complained about is what appears (and yes it hard as we don't have all the facts from the inside) to be double standards across the list.

Once Jackson was out it was pretty obvious that a hard body was going to come in.... Hence Thomas. There may be doubts over how Conca will go as well after his head knock. I don't know the stats but I'd be surprised if players averaged high quality games in their first game after a concussion. So we could effectively be down 2 inside players. Expect to see plenty of inside Cotch work this week and less outside work. While it would have been good to see Helbig come in to see what he has, I'm not surprised he didn't make the trip. Could be a chance in the next couple week if he has more solid games at VFL level.

Don't mind the Gordon selection. His run late (I assume he'll be the sub) will be helpful on a big ground.

Let's all just hope that Grigg doesn't have 25 and 2 goals on Sat.....

Yeah don't mind Gordon but pointless in playing Thomas. We know what this guy offers and it really is a tough nut with no skills and no upside. Can't we lay McDonough and get some games into him?

If I hear Hardwick talking about winning for the fans again...................

Have to get his girlfriends permission first dude

had 18 touches against Casey and 15 against Collingwood according to the VFL report

V Geelong

V Casey

V Collingwood

V Ballarat

Compare that too McDonough

V Geelong

V Casey

V Collingwood

V Ballarat

Or Helbig

V Geelong

V Casey

V Collingwood

V Ballarat

This is not an attack on Gordon I'm really happy he is playing as i want to see if he can go forward with us but what i have continually complained about is what appears (and yes it hard as we don't have all the facts from the inside) to be double standards across the list.
How many of those games have you watched? I watched the Casey and Geelong games live and Gordon was very good in both of them. Covered the ground and does a lot of selfless running where he doesn't get rewarded but still presents an option. Also seen him run hard defensively as well.

Unfortunately a lot of our kids have chosen, when the side is performing well in the AFL, to start putting in the sort of games needed at VFL level to warrant selection. As I said elsewhere the key for them at the moment is to keep putting up those performances so that when an opportunity arises they are ready to step in and if they perform well enough they'll be in position to keep their spots, much like Batchelor seems to have done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see truck loads od upsides for Gordo but each to their own. Pace, endurance, likes to tackle and has mongrel.
Couldn't agree more Flea , I think he just needs more game time and the coach to back him . Every time Griggs form slides and he's playing well in the VFL he should come straight in and vice versa, not weight 10 weeks for one of them to do a hamstring. Hopefully it's his spot to lose now not out in a week even if he plays a good game.

No, its all Dimma and he only picks players based on who he likes the most. He definitely doesn't know more about each player than us and knows what the team needs.
Great post , couldn't agree more . That's what we've been saying all year !!! Finally you agree with us. Welcome aboard Tiggerman

Yeah don't mind Gordon but pointless in playing Thomas. We know what this guy offers and it really is a tough nut with no skills and no upside. Can't we lay McDonough and get some games into him?

If I hear Hardwick talking about winning for the fans again...................
Isn't hilarious , while every day we see another retirement or another playing going off for surgery at other clubs in preparation to make finals next year Hardwick is determined to flog our players into the ground and stifle development. Way to go Tigers!!!

Memo to Hardwick , this week is shot , and you need all the time possible to prepare for next year we've known what the team is capable of all year , you just took till round 17 to get it our of them.

Last edited:
Isn't hilarious , while every day we see another retirement or another playing going off for surgery at other clubs in preparation to make finals next year Hardwick is determined to flog our players into the ground and stifle development. Way to go Tigers!!!
Yeah, really can't understand sporting teams going out there trying to win games! Goes against all sporting traditions!

How many of those games have you watched? I watched the Casey and Geelong games live and Gordon was very good in both of them. Covered the ground and does a lot of selfless running where he doesn't get rewarded but still presents an option. Also seen him run hard defensively as well.

Unfortunately a lot of our kids have chosen, when the side is performing well in the AFL, to start putting in the sort of games needed at VFL level to warrant selection. As I said elsewhere the key for them at the moment is to keep putting up those performances so that when an opportunity arises they are ready to step in and if they perform well enough they'll be in position to keep their spots, much like Batchelor seems to have done.

I didn't see them and i did mean to mention that in the post but McDonough especially looks to have performed better/consistently over the last month. I'm not against Gordon getting a game I am against the idea that there appears to be double standards in the selection process.

By the way my count McDonough has only failed to be in the best twice when he has played VFL and one of those he played a half and got high praise.

And OHanlon and Arnott when they were chosen a few weeks ago. It's getting them consistently playing good VFL that gives them every opportunity to keep their spot when they finally get called up , just like Thomas 's last 3 games have helped him earn his selection. It's the only way these fringe players will learn.

Gordan I understand - especially at Subiaco and he should start to give us extra outside run

Thomas .... at Subiaco .... i don't understand ... it is the exact opposite tactical reasoning behind the Gordan selection from the outside looking in. Ludicrous.

I didn't see them and i did mean to mention that in the post but McDonough especially looks to have performed better/consistently over the last month. I'm not against Gordon getting a game I am against the idea that there appears to be double standards in the selection process.

By the way my count McDonough has only failed to be in the best twice when he has played VFL and one of those he played a half and got high praise.

The way McDonough has been selected in the AFL side indicates he is competing with Morris/Newy/Houli for a spot in the backline or if we want to play him forward, Titch or Lloyd. He's not displacing either forward atm and Newy is in the middle of a farewell tour, Houli has been alright in the last month (didn't like the Bris match) and Morris will play until he goes in to have surgery. So McDonough just needs to keep his form up until Morris goes off early I would think.

I'd like to see Lennon come in soon too, I think he'd add something to midfield/hff/hbf rotations....

Yeah, really can't understand sporting teams going out there trying to win games! Goes against all sporting traditions!
I'm 100% certain we can win with out Matt Thomas and Chris Newman TIA. Don't roll the tanking debate out because it's not the point. Are we tanking playing Miles because he's 20? We won't be if we played Madonna instead of Thomas as he's up to it as is Darrou for Newman. You know they are .

The way McDonough has been selected in the AFL side indicates he is competing with Morris/Newy/Houli for a spot in the backline or if we want to play him forward, Titch or Lloyd. He's not displacing either forward atm and Newy is in the middle of a farewell tour, Houli has been alright in the last month (didn't like the Bris match) and Morris will play until he goes in to have surgery. So McDonough just needs to keep his form up until Morris goes off early I would think.

I'd like to see Lennon come in soon too, I think he'd add something to midfield/hff/hbf rotations....

Which is silly as he is an incredible clearance player and often gets 6 or 7 and once got 17 last year from memory.

I do think he needs to slim down a bit.

I'm 100% certain we can win with out Matt Thomas and Chris Newman TIA. Don't roll the tanking debate out because it's not the point. Are we tanking playing Miles because he's 20? We won't be if we played Madonna instead of Thomas as he's up to it as is Darrou for Newman. You know they are .
I never mentioned, nor implied, tanking - the selection committee feels our best chance of winning this weeks game has Thomas and Newman in it.
Simple really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back