Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - It's Never Too Soon edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Rising up a few spots on the ladder for a few years and missing out on better draft picks, as well as stalling the development of a kid who may need games in that spot?

Pretty minimal IMO. I think we can back in our current crop to some extent. We can't get too preoccupied with our draft position between 2015-17.

It comes down a bit to how you view the list. If we were Melbourne or St Kilda, then yes, being artificially competitive would no doubt have some downside. As it is, I reckon we're a good shot to play finals in 2015 with or without Malceski.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Two moderately talented West Australians who can't crack a game.

Not necessarily.

Mason Shaw isn't getting games because Ken wants him to develop naturally and Ben Newton has had constant injuries. It is his first year where he is fully fit so I Ken probably just wants to manage him and he'll hopefully get more full games next year.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Not necessarily.

Mason Shaw isn't getting games because Ken wants him to develop naturally and Ben Newton has had constant injuries. It is his first year where he is fully fit so I Ken probably just wants to manage him and he'll hopefully get more full games next year.

Point remains though doesn't it...

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
25 soon and in my eyes more of a stop gap than a project tall. Not suggesting he's over the hill by any stretch but how much development is left in him? I meant for Cripps to supplement him anyway not necessarily replace.

Tall forwards who can ruck are an increasingly valuable commodity in the age of flexibility so with that in mind the 198cm Cripps has some appeal.

Cripps has an absurd amount of upside, sure he's slight but he's still growing and has the right body shape for someone of his height. Very different to Sinclair and McInnes who are too leggy and narrow through the hips, he has long arms and incredible reach because of it, can use it well in a marking contest and on the stretch and has a balanced body shape with a longer torso and wide natural stance which gives him more natural agility.

I'd be all over him later in the draft. Though i'm not sure of his standing in the draft order.

Should also be all over Abbott as well.

WCEswift

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Philly Eagles, Boston Red Sox
There's a kid playing at north ballarat Nick Rippon 177cm 81 kg is a jack stevens clone and not afraid to get in there. Fast, clean hands, nice kick and incredible reading of the ruck. 20 y.o might be worth a look for a rookie spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
0.jpg

Good point but to date Shuey has shown more than glimpses and is being tagged but needs to step up another gear somehow.

If we look at the draft Eagles went pick 2 Naitanui - players between this and 18 included S Hill, D Rich, S Sidebottom, C Yarran. I still think we did the right thing.

With 18 we took Shuey and then 20 we took Swift. This is where it went pear shaped.

18 and 20 could have landed us two of Dayne Beams pick 29, D Hannebury pick 30 or Ballantyne pick 21, D Zarhakis pick 23 or Jack Redden pick 25.

Then we used pick 36 on Ash Smith - players falling after this included Z Clarke 37, Steven Motlop 39. Mitch Robinson 40, Rory Sloan 44:mad:

THEN we used pick 52 on Jordon Jones.:( The players who fell after this pick included Michael Walters, Shane Savage, PSD Tom Rockliff:confused:, rookies G Garlett, Luke Bruest and Matthew Suckling.

So in a different 2008 draft we could have had out Shuey, Swift, A SMith, J Jones and L Bedford (rookie) and instead:

D Beams, R Sloan, Steven Motlop, L Bruest and Tom Rockliff + Naitanui pick pick 2.

How would you describe that result?

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Good point but to date Shuey has shown more than glimpses and is being tagged but needs to step up another gear somehow.

If we look at the draft Eagles went pick 2 Naitanui - players between this and 18 included S Hill, D Rich, S Sidebottom, C Yarran. I still think we did the right thing.

With 18 we took Shuey and then 20 we took Swift. This is where it went pear shaped.

18 and 20 could have landed us two of Dayne Beams pick 29, D Hannebury pick 30 or Ballantyne pick 21, D Zarhakis pick 23 or Jack Redden pick 25.

Then we used pick 36 on Ash Smith - players falling after this included Z Clarke 37, Steven Motlop 39. Mitch Robinson 40, Rory Sloan 44:mad:

THEN we used pick 52 on Jordon Jones.:( The players who fell after this pick included Michael Walters, Shane Savage, PSD Tom Rockliff:confused:, rookies G Garlett, Luke Bruest and Matthew Suckling.

So in a different 2008 draft we could have had out Shuey, Swift, A SMith, J Jones and L Bedford (rookie) and instead:

D Beams, R Sloan, Steven Motlop, L Bruest and Tom Rockliff + Naitanui pick pick 2.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

You could do that exercise for every draft for every club and get similar results nearly every time.

Hairy Lager

Chug!!
10k Posts
Feb 22, 2011
Loving the Puppies
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons

Luck of the draw?

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast

I thought beams was sponsored by collingwood under the old academy system that's why he went so late and sloane was passed over by every club the year before and was undrafted then picked up the next year .
TBH swift had massive potential and we were surprised he slipped that far . There was more excitement post draft about swift than shuey .
I just wish we picked Duncan over weedon :(

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Also this talk of clubs moving for Sinclair on the promise of getting time as the no. 2 ruck. What club would he genuinely be a no. 2 ruck for? He's not a very good ruck, he's a forward who rucks.
I reckon that we've re-signed Sinkers relatively early just in case Lycett walks, even he's though never gonna be a sufficient replacement, he's just simply tall enough to be a ruckman. Also, don't think there's much danger of him attracting much attention from other clubs, he hasn't exactly developed as a ruckman for that long.

paran

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2007
West Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Washington Redskins
Re: Malceski

rumour has it that he's a done deal to Les Frockers. Apparently pi$$ed away his millions at the cas and needs to get outta dodge...

From a Footy perspective I'm very happy with our HBF's - Hurn, Ellis, Shepp and Yeo are about as good as any position we have. Throw in Butler and Waters in the wings, and it's about the most solid position we have.

Re: Free agents

Not sure how up to date the list I saw was, but I'd target Tyson Goldsack (talent meets opportunity?), Leigh Adams (hard nut) and Jetta or Gia for a bit of forward flare.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Looking back in the drafts the 2008 draft after Naitanui was a complete disaster.:confused:

On average, how many best 22 players to teams get out of each year? We picked up 2 and were unlucky not to have 3 when Swift bitched out, albeit with good picks.

I reckon if you ranked how all the clubs did that year we'd be in the top half.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
I thought beams was sponsored by collingwood under the old academy system that's why he went so late and sloane was passed over by every club the year before and was undrafted then picked up the next year .
TBH swift had massive potential and we were surprised he slipped that far . There was more excitement post draft about swift than shuey .
I just wish we picked Duncan over weedon :(

2009 is the one we blew IMO. And not because we didn't take Fyfe.

Reaching that hard for Weedon was just bizarre.

Should also be all over Abbott as well.

This .

I was pissed off big time that we didn't rookie him last year.
I told swannies this kid will be a good footballer and one year down the track it looks like a good prediction .
Some time I scratch my head and wonder just what the **** our recruiters see when they watch colts games .
That aside Abbott : I hope someone gives him a chace because his skill set and points of difference are huge.

He made a meal of Tallan Ames on the weekend and Ames is one of the better lock down defenders in the league . And in many reagards keeping Abbott to 13 possessions looks good , unfortunately Abbott kicked 5 goals 4 points from 13 possessions .

Feb 12, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Swan Districts
Pretty minimal IMO. I think we can back in our current crop to some extent. We can't get too preoccupied with our draft position between 2015-17.

It comes down a bit to how you view the list. If we were Melbourne or St Kilda, then yes, being artificially competitive would no doubt have some downside. As it is, I reckon we're a good shot to play finals in 2015 with or without Malceski.

Bringing in old guys at this stage just to make finals leads to a false dawn and wasted time. WC's goal should never be to merely make the finals, but rather to win flags. Malceski would have no part in the latter. Hence his acquisition being a waste of time. The club rising up the ladder on the back of the oldies can set WC's build time back. Better to build from the ground up. Bringing in Malceski is asking for a repeat of 2011 and '12, whereby WC had solid seasons but were ultimately not good enough. Thereafter they're back at square one going the rebuild, two wasted years down the track. So, if WC acknowledge and accept that they're in a building phase and not bother with bringing in oldies, they could save themselves time and get on with the building that needs to be done. Bringing in Malceski is a futile attempt at a shortcut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back