Trigg to be announced as the new Carlton CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He cheated and attracted crippling sanctions as a result.

The re-allocation to Adelaide Oval? He was against it, it happened inspite of him, not because of him... And now it looks like we've been screwed financially in the deal.

Our elite training facilities (which is also a function centre) were built at a stadium which was already likely to be obsolete, and are now a commercial liability and an anchor on our balance sheet.

He was hopelessly out of his depth.

The training centre is not really a White Elephant. The additional cost for the function centre aspect is minimal compared to the actual cost of building the training centre. And the museum is just a room to store the clubs trophies/memorabilia, it has to go somewhere.

No different to any other club's training centre that is not attached to where they play, ie about 15 clubs in the AFL.

I do wish we could buy the SANFL jumper, but have no issue with not playing home games. Where would play them? Footy Park with 2000 people there would be a joke.

One good thing Trigg did do was go into the AO move with open eyes. From the time the SANFL/SACA joined to form the SMA it was obvious both clubs were going to get screwed. Any leverage to negotiate was taken by the AFL (ie Vlad, he did say moving Crows/Power to AO as one of his greatest achievements) insisting that all home games in SA would be played at AO and a guarantee that AO would host 22 games a year. Lets not forget that Keith Thomas also signed on to the same deal at AO. Trigg was one of the few alluded the public to possible issues with the move, that seem to have come to fruition now.

I am far from a Trigg apologist, never liked the bloke and really disliked him when he changed our logo to the Sonic the Hedgehog/Baltimore Raven clone and told us effectively "stiff s**t".

Goose. He smashed down SANFL license issues to field a Crows reserve team and boosted your silly revenues to the redeveloped Adelaide Oval in comparison to AAMI (by a very big margin due to corporate sponsorship). But I guess you are bereft of facts. Bitter pill to swallow - I guess Dangerfield is next on our shopping list. :cool:

Goose. He smashed down SANFL license issues to field a Crows reserve team and boosted your silly revenues to the redeveloped Adelaide Oval in comparison to AAMI (by a very big margin due to corporate sponsorship). But I guess you are bereft of facts. Bitter pill to swallow - I guess Dangerfield is next on our shopping list. :cool:

Lol. Nice try. NFI.

Shakes head..... it will only be a matter of time before you start asking for one of those sack Trigg avatars :)

Want facts? Here's a quick mud-map of the ****-ups this dickhead has managed to deftly execute over the years;
  1. Adelaide Oval - a deal that was so good, we needed him to stick around to see it through - and apparently now we need him to stick around to fix it.
  2. Lying to us by claiming we could wear the hoops more often if we adopted a white clash jumper - which we now wear more often than ever before.
  3. Ignoring the results of a poll to decide said Guernsey, and choosing his own preference, making a mockery of the entire process.
  4. Putting Neil Craig on staff, only to have to sack him the same year.
  5. Calling the supporters who paid his wage 'pathetic' and 'agitators'
  6. Sacking Matt Rendell with some vague references to previous indiscretions which no-one could quite recall, and telling him 'mud sticks' - only to seemingly forget that statement during Tippett-gate.
  7. Conducting an illegal deal outside of the rules to keep Tippett, which he then rescinded - verbally - and vetoing a solid trade to Brisbane which would have not only gotten us something - instead of nothing - for our highest paid player, instead of a huge fine and lost picks which will set us back at least 5 years.
  8. Promising to 'tell the whole story' of the above at the appropriate time - and never coming clean.
  9. Being Vlad's finger puppet for years
  10. Not believing in fitness coaches, and letting Schwerdt go to Gold Coast.
  11. That pathetic Raven on our logo.
As for Dangerfield? I hope you enjoy Shaun McKernan half as much as we've enjoyed Sam Jacobs and Eddie Betts :thumbsu:

The thing that annoyed me about Trigg was how during Tippetgate he kept trotting out the line about how he wasn't allowed to say anything yet but people should be patient because when the truth came out everyone would see his side. And that is ALWAYS BULLSHIT when people say that but he kept selling it to Adelaide fans. Then HELLO, Adelaide get bent over by the AFL and Trigg cops his discounted mates-rates punishment while keeping his job and OKAY SO NOW WHERE'S THIS STORY, HUH, TRIGG? But of course there isn't one and never was. He just shuts up and never says another word about it.

Want facts? Here's a quick mud-map of the ****-ups this dickhead has managed to deftly execute over the years;
  1. Adelaide Oval - a deal that was so good, we needed him to stick around to see it through - and apparently now we need him to stick around to fix it.
  2. Lying to us by claiming we could wear the hoops more often if we adopted a white clash jumper - which we now wear more often than ever before.
  3. Ignoring the results of a poll to decide said Guernsey, and choosing his own preference, making a mockery of the entire process.
  6. Sacking Matt Rendell with some vague references to previous indiscretions which no-one could quite recall, and telling him 'mud sticks' - only to seemingly forget that statement during Tippett-gate.
  7. Conducting an illegal deal outside of the rules to keep Tippett, which he then rescinded - verbally - and vetoing a solid trade to Brisbane which would have not only gotten us something - instead of nothing - for our highest paid player, instead of a huge fine and lost picks which will set us back at least 5 years.
  8. Promising to 'tell the whole story' of the above at the appropriate time - and never coming clean.
As for Dangerfield? I hope you enjoy Shaun McKernan half as much as we've enjoyed Sam Jacobs and Eddie Betts :thumbsu:

12. Stupid sash down side of uniform, that was added without consultation of members. It effectively makes our traditional hoops into horizontal stripes.
13. Chaging the lyrics to our club song, again without consultation of members. The players dont sing it that way when we win, neither does the crowd!

Hard to argue that.

What changes did he make to the song? Genuinely curious.
Orginal opening lyric: "We're the pride of South Australia, we're the mighty Adelaide Crows..."

Current opening lyric: "We're the pride of South Australia, we're known as the Adelaide Crows..." It then reverts to the above mentioned 'mighty' in all successive verses.

This revised lyric is played at all home games and after wins, but duly ignored by fans and players alike.

Last edited:
Orginal opening lyric: "We're the pride of South Australia, we're the mighty Adelaide Crows..."
Current opening lyric: "We're the pride of South Australia, we're known as the Adelaide Crows..." It then reverts to the above in all successive verses.

This revised lyric is played at all home games and after wins, but duly ignored by fans and players alike.

Baffling change.

Current opening lyric: "We're the pride of South Australia, we're known as the Adelaide Crows..." It then reverts to the above in all successive verses.

Didn't know that was changed, what would possess anyone to think that's an improvement?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Stupid sash down side of uniform, that was added without consultation of members. It effectively makes our traditional hoops into horizontal stripes.
13. Chaging the lyrics to our club song, again without consultation of members. The players dont sing it that way when we win, neither does the crowd!
Lyrics were changed in 1997

Didn't know that was changed, what would possess anyone to think that's an improvement?

Same line of thinking that got Brisbane the Paddlepop lion jumper.

"If it ain't broke... Tinker with it and mess it up completely".

Current opening lyric: "We're the pride of South Australia, we're known as the Adelaide Crows..." It then reverts to the above mentioned 'mighty' in all successive verses.

Just on the lyric change, apparently according to your own Crows supporters it been that way for a very long time....possibly as long ago as 1997?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/club-song-lyric-change.909419/

So not exactly something changed under Trigg's time as your CEO.

Carlton supporters sticking up for Triggy while Crows supporters lay into him (and rightfully so).. What is this odd new reality :/

Good luck away from your boys' club Triggy, no more local media full of club ambassadors to cup your balls and quash any "agitators", you're on your own now

Carlton supporters sticking up for Triggy while Crows supporters lay into him (and rightfully so).. What is this odd new reality :/

Good luck away from your boys' club Triggy, no more local media full of club ambassadors to cup your balls and quash any "agitators", you're on your own now

haha nah, I couldn't really give a crap to be honest, I was just reading that list of complaints etc from the Crows supporters and did some reading up on it to see what was legit and what was not. I just like to be informed that's all :)

Trigg will survive. Won't have the media devoting time to just two clubs who are based in Adelaide's fishbowl.

Our fans aren't a bunch of sycophants who think our players are beyond criticism. Our dickheads belt the club more than the media and haters.

Wonder if Trigg would have been part of Tippett's contract if their fans weren't all fanboys. They think all of their best players are God's gift to football. The sort of environment Carlton had 14 years ago.
The thing that annoyed me about Trigg was how during Tippetgate he kept trotting out the line about how he wasn't allowed to say anything yet but people should be patient because when the truth came out everyone would see his side. And that is ALWAYS BULLSHIT when people say that but he kept selling it to Adelaide fans. Then HELLO, Adelaide get bent over by the AFL and Trigg cops his discounted mates-rates punishment while keeping his job and OKAY SO NOW WHERE'S THIS STORY, HUH, TRIGG? But of course there isn't one and never was. He just shuts up and never says another word about it.
Nothing to do with Carlton.

Trigg was suspended for six months and had his reputation tarnished. They didn't rub out officials when Essendon, Melbourne and Carlton were punished for salary cap offences. Copped a bigger whack like Tippett who moved to Sydney for a fortune and will probably get a flag this year.

Trigg stated on 5AA or 3AW that the deal with the AFL rules out commenting on what happened.

Trigg stated on 5AA or 3AW that the deal with the AFL rules out commenting on what happened.

How come Vlad said the exact opposite on Footy Classified?

Trigg is protecting the Crows board as they knew about the deal as well. This is the reason why neither Trigg or Chapman have come out and said anything publically as to what really happened.

Trigg kept his job as he kept his mouth shut about what the board really knew.

maybe he'll bring some of that genius to carlton.

"...we're the team that often lets you down..."

Off topic (slightly) and not trying to sound like a troll....

Question for Crows supporters.

Do you think the Crows have become a victim of their own success? Two flags came unexpectedly to them early in the clubs history and they really have meandered ever since, happy being midfield and rarely going deep in finals. Did these premierships create some sort of inbuilt arrogance at the club, at board level at least? A sense of entitlement or even just a sense of contentment?
Timmy from Thomastown I think you've pinpointed the source of the problem which has lead to our now 15 year premiership drought...although not exactly in the ways you thought (arrogance, entitlement, contentment). It simply gave us the wrong idea about how you win a premiership! (Or more accurately a roadmap that no longer worked when the finals system changed).

I shared the following Trigg quote on the Crows' board the other day and to me it sums up everything - we fundamentally believed that if we made the finals often enough (which we've done) that our turn would come again (which it hasn't).

I don't like the term 'rebuilding' and I never have. I think players and staff hide behind that, so we would prefer to be well planned and to stay as competitive as we possibly can all the while trying to make the finals.
The experience for us, still in our hearts and minds, is that we weren't the best team in 1997 and 1998 through the minor round, but we got there and then got it right at the right time and that could still happen this year to any of the teams in the bottom part of the eight.
But you simply can't give yourself a crack at it if you're out of the eight, so our philosophy is to just keep planning, keep developing the list, keep managing out some of the seniority we think needs to be making way for the development aspect and to keep making the eight to give ourselves a chance.
Other clubs might have a different view to that, but that's ours and under this board and mine and Neil's regime, that's the way we would like it to be.

- Steven Trigg, August 2008 (http://archive.today/YJp7#selection-1863.0-1875.152)
Hopefully the whole joint gets a massive shake up and we ditch this old shibboleth and get some modern thinking for the modern game.

They arent a victim of their own success. They are a victim of lack of accountability due to the circumstances they find themselves in - both in and out of their control.

a) They are/were an SANFL run organisation so they dont rock the boat. Their members have no say in how the club is run. When they do they got called agitators or 'pathetic' from their CEO. They dont query the stadium deal at AAMI, they dont question why they couldnt make money there. Its jobs for the boys, everyone in each others pockets. No internal accountability. "DOnt say anything, just keep the status quo and everyone has a job".

b) They have no external accountability because they make anyone with any sort of media clout in this state an official ambassador of the club. You look at their list of official ambassadors and half of them are journalists or radio personalities. Wheres the accountability there? Noones going to ask the tough questions or look deep into issues when just about everyone that should be asking those questions is on the payroll.
I think that's all true Macca19 and I think it explains our off-field woes but not necessarily our on-field woes. But anyway we're just a s**t club with no history so why would you care...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back