Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I don't think that should be a problem for him, unless I'm getting B's mixed up. But if you wanted to do more back and less arms, wouldn't you do pull ups, rather than chins?

Well I don't think that should be a problem for him, unless I'm getting B's mixed up. But if you wanted to do more back and less arms, wouldn't you do pull ups, rather than chins?

The only difference with the two is the grip, pull ups with a wide grip will be harder to do vs. a closer underhand chin up. But really both should be done, you can alternate between the two each week.

My point being, a lot of people can struggle to do 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps of pull ups or chin ups without adding additional weight. So before he adds more weight just concentrate getting strong with bodyweight first and as you find it easier add more weight. His original post was to do with not getting a burn or DOMS in his back more so in the arms post work out, which suggests to me he is already using to much weight and is "muscling up" the weight as opposed to moving the weight and contracting the back muscles.

The poster can correct me if i am wrong, i don't remember him noting any of his current lifts, weight and or rep ranges. He may well already be strong enough and can do 3 sets of 15 pull ups, if that is the case then definitely add the weight.

Ah, I just went and checked and I was getting B's mixed up (bkozican and brock)! I suppose the theory would be just use a weight that keeps you in a rep range beyond continually upping them once you reach ~8-12. Solid advice for anyone.

And yeah definitely, I think pull ups are harder than chin ups but mainly because they isolate the back more. I personally don't bother with chins, but I don't really do arms (I should do more isolation work now and then).

Ive been playing around with hand grippers here and there. Bought heavy grips closed the 150lb 30 times couldnt get within 10mm for the 200. I decide to get captains of crush grips and struggle to close the coc#1 150lb. So much harder to close at that last grasp. Anyone playing with grippers?

Ive been playing around with hand grippers here and there. Bought heavy grips closed the 150lb 30 times couldnt get within 10mm for the 200. I decide to get captains of crush grips and struggle to close the coc#1 150lb. So much harder to close at that last grasp. Anyone playing with grippers?

Youtube what this grippers are please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi, was wondering how many exercises, sets and reps I should be looking to do, particularly for strength training? Although, I am curious what it is for hypertophy and muscle endurance as well.

Also, if someone is medically qualified, was wondering what muscles I should be looking to particularly train for a knee with no ACL, with the intention of playing competitive sport (footy).

Hi, was wondering how many exercises, sets and reps I should be looking to do, particularly for strength training? Although, I am curious what it is for hypertophy and muscle endurance as well.

Also, if someone is medically qualified, was wondering what muscles I should be looking to particularly train for a knee with no ACL, with the intention of playing competitive sport (footy).
Quadriceps, glutes, hamstrings, balance, single leg work. Gonna have to have amazing neuromuscular control of that knee to get back to footy. It can be done without an ACL though.

Playing footy without an ACL is going to be really tough. Having surgery and delaying footy by half a year not an option? But yeah, alot of quads, hamstrings, glute. Squats, single leg work. You'd want to get seriously strong in your legs.

I ruptured my ACL since I was 12, so I spent all of high school playing sports without one, so it's not as big of a change.

I don't think I've done my knee while playing sports, but pretty much every season would succumb to some other injury (mainly quad).

But yeah, the responses have been pretty much what I figured.

How would I go about putting extra work in? Would this mean I would have 2 leg days at the gym, in a week, instead of 1? Would that be too much?

And not really keen on getting anything done, the money's a big factor, plus I'm incredibly unfit and I've been slowly being motivated to actually do cardio and weight training, plus I take public transport to uni, and have a chance to play U-21's next season, instead of open age against bigger bodies etc.

How many times a week can you or do you want to train for? From there you can figure out your program split. Training muscles twice a week you won't be over training. You will only over train if you do the same muscle group one day after the next, even then as a newbie your body will still respond if you did train chest Monday then chest Tuesday etc.. But no one would ever recommend training like that.

Everyone is a little difference, and everyone has there different opinions on weight rep ranges etc.

It will have to be something you play around with and see what works for you. Personally for me any type of resistance training will induce muscle growth, whether i'm doing 5 sets x 3-5 reps or 3 reps of 10-12 or 2 sets of 20-30. But training in the lower rep ranges with increased weight does make me stronger. I train 5-6 times a week, with a body split of;

Sunday - Back/bis
Monday - chest/tris
Tuesday - legs/shoulders
Wednesday - Back/bis
Thursday - chest/tris
Friday - shoulders

At the moment i hitting the 5-6 rep range for bigger lifts such as deads, squats and bench for the bigger muscles quads, back and chest. For the smaller muscles aiming more 8-10 bis/tris/shoulders.

there's a bloke who plays NBA who has no acl's at all and he's also durable - strong as s**t though from the look of him (6'8 but 270pds or close too)

my tip is to lose wt and get in shape first then look at strengthening which could do at the same time...i'd start low vol for legs and ramp up frequency like:

low vol legs x 2/week x 2 weeks
low vol legs x 3/week
med vol legs x 2/week
med vol legs x 3/week
high vol legs x 2/week

something like that - don't go straight into balls to the wall stuff

there's a bloke who plays NBA who has no acl's at all and he's also durable - strong as s**t though from the look of him (6'8 but 270pds or close too)

my tip is to lose wt and get in shape first then look at strengthening which could do at the same time...i'd start low vol for legs and ramp up frequency like:

low vol legs x 2/week x 2 weeks
low vol legs x 3/week
med vol legs x 2/week
med vol legs x 3/week
high vol legs x 2/week

something like that - don't go straight into balls to the wall stuff

Agreed, a simple upper and lower split 2 days a week concentrating on compound exercises, making sure weight is under control and form is very good. Volume and accessory exercises can follow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back