Bad driving - share your stories here

Remove this Banner Ad

Our traffic congestion is on par with LA for being the worst in North America. It sucks! Living in a rainforest you'd think people would be ok driving in the rain.

Saw a woman a few months stopped at the lights swigging from a vodka bottle at 8:15am.

Years ago I remember a guy on the corner of Mountain and Burwood highway get ridiculous road rage. He was yelling, hitting his horn and waving his arms around. Eventually he got out of the car, went up to the car in front of him and smashed the windscreen in with a crowbar. Crazy!

I don't even live in a big city, and yet I still very agitated when driving, because so many people drive so badly in this town, when there is no excuse for it. And as for their parking abilities, or lack thereof....

Original
stone-cold-laughing.gif

Everyone still seems to find it funny tho going by the likes. :p

One day my old man broke down up the road. Instead of pushing the ute around and towing it home the right way, he said I should tow him backwards. Which I did. It was only a few k's. Unfortunately after a creek I went to fast and when I looked in the mirror he was going from one side of the road to the other. Hanging on for dear life trying to keep the ute straight. Its pretty funny now, looking back, but it wasn't funny then for him. He went ape s**t at me.

nearly had a head on at 100km's yesterday because some jerk was on his phone... would have been dead if i wasnt paying attention becuase about 80m in front of me he started to drift into my lane so i gave a wide berth & the guy didnt even look up until i was passing him and half his car was on my side of the road

the scary thing is that these people are everywhere

Our traffic congestion is on par with LA for being the worst in North America. It sucks! Living in a rainforest you'd think people would be ok driving in the rain.

Saw a woman a few months stopped at the lights swigging from a vodka bottle at 8:15am.

Years ago I remember a guy on the corner of Mountain and Burwood highway get ridiculous road rage. He was yelling, hitting his horn and waving his arms around. Eventually he got out of the car, went up to the car in front of him and smashed the windscreen in with a crowbar. Crazy!
In Canada? No....

!

I got my international drivers license when I went to the States to work in 2003. Needless to say I never used it. I was too scared.
I was based in Florida as well, iirc they have pretty bad/scary drivers down there as well...?

Btw, this is the second time you've mentioned you live in a rainforest. Sounds cool- pics?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last month I was taking my newborn son out for a walk and almost got cleaned up at a pedestrian crossing (lights, not zebra). Got to the centre island and I saw this car coming from my left that clearly wasn't stopping and they blazed through completely oblivious to both me and the red light. Lucky I was paying attention or might not be here today.

On a more minor level, the number of people who can't use a turning lane correctly is mind-boggling. Some of the turning lanes in Adelaide are >50m long and these idiots still wait until they get to the end of the lane before entering and then enter at such a shallow angle that they're blocking the normal lane whilst they wait to turn.

One day a colleague questioned my ability to drive. We were sent by our boss to same address for a job, I decided to tailgate him the whole way. Not just tailgate, but sit a few centimeters off his rear bumper the whole way, around corners, through spoon drains, roundabouts ect. He even started driving as a fast as he could, to see if I could stay so close. He eventually backed out, his excuse was he saw a cop car. Little did he know I can do this s**t in my sleep, was a country boy with access to cars we didn't have to care about, where there was no law.

But back to this story, he never questioned my driving again.

Last month I was taking my newborn son out for a walk and almost got cleaned up at a pedestrian crossing (lights, not zebra). Got to the centre island and I saw this car coming from my left that clearly wasn't stopping and they blazed through completely oblivious to both me and the red light. Lucky I was paying attention or might not be here today.

On a more minor level, the number of people who can't use a turning lane correctly is mind-boggling. Some of the turning lanes in Adelaide are >50m long and these idiots still wait until they get to the end of the lane before entering and then enter at such a shallow angle that they're blocking the normal lane whilst they wait to turn.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Girl with P plates went straight through the red light. There were little kids crossing with their dad at the same time. Lucky nobody was killed. I was shocked afterwards.

I got my international drivers license when I went to the States to work in 2003. Needless to say I never used it. I was too scared.
I was based in Florida as well, iirc they have pretty bad/scary drivers down there as well...?

Btw, this is the second time you've mentioned you live in a rainforest. Sounds cool- pics?

I drove when I was living in the States, one of my jobs in San Diego was as a delivery driver so I was on the road all day there.

I was probably more of a menace on the roads there than anyone else when I first started driving there. I ended up driving on the wrong side of the road a few times out of habit but thankfully avoided any collisions, when you suddenly see cars driving towards you it's a pretty sharp reminder that you're on the wrong side of the road and you need to get back on the right side of the road, literally.

I also went through red traffic lights a couple of times there due to not noticing them, again I was just lucky I was in a quiet area and didn't cause an accident.

They have their traffic lights up higher on wires rather than on poles at eye level like they have here so it can be easy to miss them when you aren't used to them.

Ones like these.

005.JPG

The funniest story was a mate of mine getting his US drivers license in Virginia after driving on the wrong side of the road during his prac test, he thought he would fail it for sure but they still gave it to him.:eek:

Last edited:
Ive always found it interesting that everyone thinks everyone else is a bad driver, but theyre the best.

Based on everyones assemesment of themselves, there shouldnt be any bad drivers

I was on the bus one time and saw my mate fly past the round-about and flipped his Ford Laser.

Parents were away and I was driving my dad's ute at the time while I was looking for a car. Was actually on the way back from looking at a car.

Came out of a roundabout in the rain with a car full of mates and because it was raining and I was in third I was bogging bad, dropped to second and put my foot down on the accelerator. Back end kicked sideways instantly and I wasn't expecting it, next minute I had smashed into the side of a bridge, proceeded to drive a bit more before pulling into a street. A person had seen me and followed me down the street then as he drove past steered with his knees and clapped out the window.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back