Toast The Gus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gus is a gun.

For boxhill watchers, has this looked likely for some time? Seemed to improve significantly week by week since being selected in the one's.

Gus was always a funny one.

When he started at BH he played as a key defender in a side, which like the seniors, lacked defensive height. His first couple of pre-seasons were restricted by injury issues so we never saw him at his best. At this time I like many others thought that he was too short for an AFL key defender and wondered what would become of him.

Last year he was able to complete a pre-season and started to play some good footy by April. He was named best on ground in the Peptide Hill game against the injectable's reserves that day. By this stage the defensive height issues had been eased with Lake in the seniors and Saint Super Spang at BH, enabling Litherland to share to the 2nd or 3rd forwards with Cheney many weeks.

With Brand in the DS and Heatherly in the wings I thought that if Gus was going to make it he would have to play the third tall role in the seniors and he was well behind Gibson, Birchall and Stratton for that role. But as the year wore on it was clear that Gus had a bit of pace when he chose to use it, was quite a long and accurate kick from set kicks. He had always showed the ability to play a close checking role so all he needed was an opportunity. By this stage I had him pegged as a very good understudy for Stratton.

Stratton was injured in the pre-season and after much pissing around, Gus finally got his chance and the rest is history. He hasn't surprised me at all with his efforts this year, at lot like Langford. I was a bit pissed off that he was not getting much of a go at all before the GWS game with him playing the odd sub game here and there. In the first half of the season, I was concerned that he might not get the chance that he really needed, especially after displaying the odd nervous fumble after coming off the bench. Fortunately, a place in the starting 21 was the tonic he needed and he has performed admirably since. Well done.

Last edited:
If you watch him play there's something very blue-collar about him. Maybe it's the dark shoes or something. He goes about his business like a VFL player from the 1950s. You could almost imagine the videos going grey and grainy. He never stops!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you watch him play there's something very blue-collar about him. Maybe it's the dark shoes or something. He goes about his business like a VFL player from the 1950s. You could almost imagine the videos going grey and grainy. He never stops!

This, he plays like a VFL player from yesteryear with his attacking run and long kicking. I mean this in a good way of course.

With lake to come back in the side does Litherland stay in the team?
I say yes, I think Duryea makes way and we then have another 190 ish cm player that can do everything Doc can but can also play tall. It's a shame for Doc, as I think he is a good back pocket, but Lithers is playing better at this time and proved against E. Betts that he can blanket a small. I think he may turn out to be our next Goo, but with height.

So have we re-signed him yet?....Or is the club still stuck in Amateur hour by dragging it's incompetent heels on this one....Seems we still haven't yet learnt a damn thing post the Buddy contract fiasco!

Who has slipped away as a result of our supposed contractual incompetence?

How was the club responsible for the so called Buddy fiasco? I'm keen to know how they could have forced a contract on to either Buddy or Litherland...

So have we re-signed him yet?....Or is the club still stuck in Amateur hour by dragging it's incompetent heels on this one....Seems we still haven't yet learnt a damn thing post the Buddy contract fiasco!

Our stripes are brown and gold, right, not red black and white?:eek:

If there is one club in the entire league that fails the moniker of incompetent it's got to be Hawthorn.

How was the club responsible for the so called Buddy fiasco? I'm keen to know how they could have forced a contract on to either Buddy or Litherland...

Well surely it could not have been Buddy himself ??? :eek: :rolleyes:

Especially after spending so many years here reading how he was the greatest hawks forward of all time, and his magical ability to light up the night by dropping his daks etc., so being a bodhisattva how one earth could he possibly have had any role in the fiasco ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back