LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably been posted already but ill share one of my post workout shake/treats (I do Jiu Jitsu aka BJJ not any kind of gym/lifting. For those unfamiliar with it it's a very aerobic activity in the HIIT mould).

I use one of those george foreman shake blenders (chuck the stuff in the bottle, attach bottle to blender, pulse).

Choc-Peanut Protein shake.

1 serving of Low-Carb Choc Protein Powder
Milk/Water as the liquid whatever you prefer
Full Cream to taste (gives it a super smooth consistency)
Scoop of peanut butter (unsalted)
Ice
Occasionally I'll chuck a banana in and it tastes even better.
Great to hear a fellow BJJ regular dabbling in this topic. I've been trying a few things here and there for a while, but I eventually deduced that low carb isn't really ideal for training, for numerous reasons. I found I tended to gas out earlier, particularly say, if I were to stick around and do a double class - I felt as if I simply ran out of fuel to burn after a while. I've googled a bit and read up on it but it doesn't seem to be a common combination (BJJ & LCHF that is..)

Great to hear a fellow BJJ regular dabbling in this topic. I've been trying a few things here and there for a while, but I eventually deduced that low carb isn't really ideal for training, for numerous reasons. I found I tended to gas out earlier, particularly say, if I were to stick around and do a double class - I felt as if I simply ran out of fuel to burn after a while. I've googled a bit and read up on it but it doesn't seem to be a common combination (BJJ & LCHF that is..)

What I've read is that you pretty much need to carb up 2 hrs before training, even if its just a sandwich or similar (2 hrs before so you don't throw up all over your training partners).

Seeing most blogs are american I see Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches recommended a lot (with banana in it too occasionally).

Check out http://grapplergourmet.com/ not really LCHF but it will give you some energy packed ideas for pre training.

Everything I've read has recommended keeping topped up on glucose if youre in a comp as well even if on a LCHF diet.

I went for a health check up on the weekend. Last time I had a health check up at the end of the last year my fasting glucose level was 13.1
This time it was 5.2
The doctor told me that my cholesterol levels are high and asked why. I told him the diet I am on. He told me to cut back the fats and only eat them in moderation.

I went for a health check up on the weekend. Last time I had a health check up at the end of the last year my fasting glucose level was 13.1
This time it was 5.2
The doctor told me that my cholesterol levels are high and asked why. I told him the diet I am on. He told me to cut back the fats and only eat them in moderation.
Did you get a breakdown of your cholesterol numbers?

Doctors don't know about about that stuff, ain't got time for that s**t. :p
They have it in front of them. You should ring him and get the HDL, LDL and Trigs from him. If anything its also good for you to know how you are tracking. My Doc told me mine was way to high and wanted me to have a Statin, the Trig was 0.6 (excellent) HDL 2.9 (excellent) but LDL was 5.8 and that was way, way to high. I asked about type A and B ratios and was met with a stern face of disapproval and was told its irrelevant to "me"

Thats how stupid it is, the best two markers are HDL and Triglycerides and i am way above average on both counts, yet because they add those to LDL numbers they end up with a figure thats only a guage (like BMI) and they deemed me a candidate for a Statin.

They have it in front of them. You should ring him and get the HDL, LDL and Trigs from him. If anything its also good for you to know how you are tracking. My Doc told me mine was way to high and wanted me to have a Statin, the Trig was 0.6 (excellent) HDL 2.9 (excellent) but LDL was 5.8 and that was way, way to high. I asked about type A and B ratios and was met with a stern face of disapproval and was told its irrelevant to "me"

Thats how stupid it is, the best two markers are HDL and Triglycerides and i am way above average on both counts, yet because they add those to LDL numbers they end up with a figure thats only a guage (like BMI) and they deemed me a candidate for a Statin.
Sorry, I thought you meant further into ie. particle size etc which don't get tested. Because the HDL & LDL stats alone don't mean anything these days.

This looks interesting for the occasional snack. 21 grams whey-and milk-based protein and 5 grams of carbohydrates per pack. My local gym is getting them in soon so it will be good to grab a pack and try it out (and then test bg and keto levels)

928333_248681558674541_335859173_n.jpg

Nutritional_table.png

Some ordinary ingredients but in moderation not to bad, especially with a few zero carb Big Head beers.

Ingredients:
Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Dried Potatoes, Corn Starch, High Oleic Sunflower Oil. Contains less than 2% of the following: Sea Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavors.

But still cant beat these for the ultimate zero carb high fat/protein snack (from Woolies)
9765404.jpg

Last edited:
This looks interesting for the occasional snack. 21 grams whey-and milk-based protein and 5 grams of carbohydrates per pack. My local gym is getting them in soon so it will be good to grab a pack and try it out (and then test bg and keto levels)

928333_248681558674541_335859173_n.jpg

Nutritional_table.png

Some ordinary ingredients but in moderation not to bad, especially with a few zero carb Big Head beers.

Ingredients:
Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Dried Potatoes, Corn Starch, High Oleic Sunflower Oil. Contains less than 2% of the following: Sea Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavors.

But still cant beat these for the ultimate zero carb high fat/protein snack (from Woolies)
9765404.jpg

Can't wait for your review - love the Quest bars.

Did you get a breakdown of your cholesterol numbers?

The doctor did tell me but I can't really remember. I remember one figure was 6.1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Pete Evans is being smashed from pillar to post lately by numerous 'nutritionists' with vested interests in every major food corporation in the country. People trying to ridicule and tarnish his image at every turn.

http://scepticalnutritionist.com.au/?p=1523#more-1523
Funny stuff and The author of the article works for or has worked for, the Australian heart foundation, Goodman Fielder, Kellogg Australia, Australian Oilseeds Federation, The Australian Food and Grocery Council, Appetite Communications, Australian Beverages Council, Sugar Australia, Unilever Australasia, Unilever China, Unilever India, Australian Sunflower Association, and received speaking fees from the Dietitians Association of Australia.

And no surprise that clown Driscoll has jumped on board in the comments as he will take any opportunity give a kick in the head to anyone who is anti sugar or wheat. His recent treatment of Sarah Wilson was a disgrace.

Funny stuff and The author of the article works for or has worked for, the Australian heart foundation, Goodman Fielder, Kellogg Australia, Australian Oilseeds Federation, The Australian Food and Grocery Council, Appetite Communications, Australian Beverages Council, Sugar Australia, Unilever Australasia, Unilever China, Unilever India, Australian Sunflower Association, and received speaking fees from the Dietitians Association of Australia.

And no surprise that clown Driscoll has jumped on board in the comments as he will take any opportunity give a kick in the head to anyone who is anti sugar or wheat. His recent treatment of Sarah Wilson was a disgrace.
Yeah I wondered who that Bill Driscoll was and realised he was the author of the tirade, seeing fit to snuff out every post of dissent, asking for evidence - when people are already presenting it to him..

ABOUT US.
The Sugar Research Advisory Service (SRAS) is a scientific information service which aims to encourage an evidence-based view of the role of sugars in nutrition and health... Bla, bla, blah.

SRAS Advisers
Bill Shrapnel Dietitian, Sydney
Bill is one of Australia’s most experienced dietitians, with experience in dietetics, community nutrition, the non-government sector and the food industry. His interest in the prevention of coronary heart disease has driven an interest in dietary fats and, more recently, carbohydrates. He has developed a model for assessing the nutritional quality of carbohydrate-rich foods. Bill has published a best-selling book and is the author of several peer-reviewed papers. He currently holds the position of Deputy Chairman of the Sydney University Nutrition Research Foundation.
http://www.srasanz.org/about-us

Say no more.

I've seen better essays from my Grade 8 English class.
I just love how industry 'experts' have to resort to citing the costs involved relating to undertaking an organic diet as a way of deterring people from doing it, when they're supposed to be advocating good, healthy choices. Meanwhile 'packaged' food is a necessity as part of a 'balanced, healthy diet.'

Now, i'm not perfect when it comes to making the best choice EVERY time, and sometimes I make choices to consume some foods that I know aren't exactly beneficial to my physical health.. But these guys are clearly pissing down the public's back and telling them it's raining, and with people waking up to it - they appear to be desperately clutching at straws to stem the tide of independent thought from the public.

So in the Health section of todays "The West Australian" paper theres an article discussing the best oils to use..
http://health.thewest.com.au/news/1510/poring-over-oil

Here's a section which I found "interesting" :rolleyes:

"When to use it: It is best avoided since its higher saturated fat content means a higher risk to health.

When not to use it: Coconut oil is not recommended for good health."

Most annoyingly, a "health nut, low fat" friend read this and saw this as enough evidence to tell me how wrong my LCHF diet is as I have mentioned to her in the past that I consume large amounts of coco oil, butter and EVOO.
Pretty tired of having an argument with people so set in their ways and not even willing to listen or have a sensible discussion.

So in the Health section of todays "The West Australian" paper theres an article discussing the best oils to use..
http://health.thewest.com.au/news/1510/poring-over-oil
This is when i lost interest.

Myth: Extra virgin olive oil is significantly better for health than other olive oils.

Fact: Extra virgin olive oil is cold-pressed, unlike refined olive oil in which heat is used in its production. Cold-pressing is favourable because it helps retains an oil’s natural antioxidants.

So its a myth that its better, and a fact that its better. Im confused.

No wonder the quality of advice by nutritionists is so flawed when teachers like Edith Cowan University's nutritionist Margaret Miller is at the helm. She is probably Rosemary Stantons little sister.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back