Toast Jarrod Witts' emergence in the last 5 weeks of carnage

Remove this Banner Ad

JimBob10

Debutant
Oct 7, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Obviously the team has been in terrible form over the last 5 weeks of football and while others search for scapegoats and negatives I would prefer to see if we have learnt anything over this time. What I think we have all missed is the emergence of Jarrod Witts into an AFL quality ruckman.

The guy has averaged 16 disposals, 26 hitouts and 4 tackles per game in this time. According to the numbers his weakest performance was against Essendon last round but there was a silver lining in the fact that he had more hitouts to advantage compared to Ryder (9-7) in a game where we were destroyed in contested ball. Also not to mention Ryder has been flying recently, illustrated by his dominant performance last week against 2013 All Australian ruckman Will Minson

upload_2014-7-25_8-25-47.png
upload_2014-7-25_8-22-27.png

Now I am not saying Witts is a world beater at this stage and I think he still does have weaknesses like his intensity sometimes is lacking as illustrated by Bucks' infamous spray against the hawks but I think we should recognise that he has turned the corner and is well and truly on track for a 21yo, 209cm giant.

Would love to hear everyone elses thoughts? Is there something I have missed in his performance in the last 5 weeks? Like lack of intensity contributing to our poor contested ball numbers? Does anyone have more in depth stats from the last 5 weeks like hitouts to advantage, pressure acts, contested possessions etc...

struggles to get off the ground at centre bounces which is a bit of an issue, but around the ground where the leap is taken out of it he is improving each week. Needs to take more marks in games. But overall he is coming along nicely.

He has been good, but there is still a long way to go. I think Ryder had the better of it last week, but Witts stood his ground.

There is still a lot of work to be done with Witts in regards to teaching him how to best utilise his size.

He sould be taking 2-3 contested marks a game. I also think he jumps far too early, and therefore he loses his height advantage and strength in the contest.

I think he needs to look at vision of Sandilands. Sandi doesn't jump much. He steps over the line, takes the opponents run away and stands tall. Then around the ground he just uses his massive size to dominate.

In marking contests, he simply stands tall. No jumping or leaping at the footy. His strength and height is enough.

Witts could be even more dominant than Sandi because he has height and agility. But I think learning how to use strength as opposed to agility is what he needs to learn. Yes he is agile, but compared to 200cm rucks he is not. He is quick for his height, but not quick by AFL standards.

Therefore, he needs to do a mountain of work pre-season on core strength and learning to stand up in marking contests.

His aggressions has come out a bit over the past 5 weeks, but he is still too timid. I want to see more of those crunching tackles and hitting packs hard. He is not intimidating enough.

Having said all that, he is a long way ahead of Sandilands at the same stage of his career. Sandi didn't win the ball and his hitouts were useless. Witts is already beginning to control his tap-work and he wins the ball around the ground. He is also quite natural up forward and on the lead.

The upside is just enormous.

The ruck component is important, but I'd like he and Grundy to do a mountain of work over pre-season on forward line play and contested marking. That is where they can differentiate from the competition, and it is probably the only way they can play together is if they learn to rotate with each other forward. I think their ruck work will develop quite naturally because it is already at an acceptable standard.

Witts has improved this year no doubt. But he still needs to learn to use his size more effectively. It pains me to see him leading in the forward line because he is far too slow. Defenders just run past and spoil or even intercept. Our players need to just kick it on his head and let him use his size to out muscle and position defenders.

When he looks in the mirror and sees how big he is, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Actually he's only averaged 11.5 disposals per game over that 5 weeks, not 16. Would be good to see him get a bit more of it but he is one of the big positives from this season for me. He has contributed really well all year and still has lots of upside. Disposal and movement is really good for a guy that size and he has a real crack with tackling and second efforts. Needs to develop the marking more and learn to use his size to more advantage as other posters have mentioned. I can see this guy going up a notch or two next year as well so Grundy has a real challenge ahead of him... Good situation.

I am more excited about this kid than anyone else on the list. Compare what he is doing at his age / experience to other champions of his position.

I know players can reach a level and then stay there, but if he has the mental strength to be successful this kid will leave the game having been a star.

Comments that he has a long way to go are accurate but of course he does- most 21yo do, especially talls. However for him, reaching his potential will be a matter of mental strength not talent.

Last edited:
He has come along recently which is great to see, and I'd be ignoring last week's stats anyway because he wasn't alone in being smashed in his position around the ground (he had about 18 mates).

Where's he's started to improve is in the ruck no doubt, and while we'd all like to see him get more of it around the ground if he's the sole number 1 ruck anything over 10 possessions a game is acceptable at his stage of his career.

Yes, he needs to work on several areas still but he is developing very well, as is Grundy, despite the hysteria on here.

I think long term if we can get 2 goals a game as resting fwd between Witts and Grundy then throw in all the Hype about Moore that our tall stocks are looking good.

Thanks to Buck’s Public Rocket.

Do not Give up on Grundy. Has has Ton of Potential and once he grows into his body and gain more experience and Improve his Tank.

Then Watch Out

tracking along nicely now.

i said at the time i wanted witts to watch the geel v freo final from last year - sandi at his best, dominating his role like a guy that big should.

Looking at that video, they way Sandi cleared the congestion with some big outs over the top to their running players is something I would love to see Witts do.
Imagine Witts smashing it over the top and forward of the centre into a running Pendles/Beams hands.
You could almost guarantee a goal or at least a set shot from 20 metres out directly in front.

Looking at that video, they way Sandi cleared the congestion with some big outs over the top to their running players is something I would love to see Witts do.
Imagine Witts smashing it over the top and forward of the centre into a running Pendles/Beams hands.
You could almost guarantee a goal or at least a set shot from 20 metres out directly in front.

That is what Keating did against us and we could not stop it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the start of the year, I would not have expected Witts to be our number 1 ruckman - but I think he continues to develop well while Grundy's development has slowed this year.
As others have said - Sandi is the ideal person to mould himself off... and he was someone who took a long time to develop. I think reaching Sandi's peaks is a big ask (pardon the pun), but if he can get to 80-90% of that, and Grundy develops as well, then our ruck stocks should be very good for years to come.

The key for both of these guys, and the only way we can have them both in the 22, is to become a legitimate 3rd option up forward - Witts has shown he is capable of that, but needs to improve his timing/marking, and our mids kicking it to his advantage.

At the start of the year, I would not have expected Witts to be our number 1 ruckman - but I think he continues to develop well while Grundy's development has slowed this year.

Well as Grundy has next to no Tank. He was never going to have a Huge Season

That is what Keating did against us and we could not stop it

Those GF's still haunt me and that bloke hammering the ball to advantage from centre bounces was of huge value to the opposition. He was the Lions' September special.
Regarding Witts, I think he's coming along just right and is doing an admirable job as a young ruck carrying a huge weight on his shoulders. His physicality needs work I admit but it's not due to lack of effort and the tackles he sticks look like bonebreakers. He looks tentative at times but when he commits physically you can see he inflicts a lot of hurt.
His physical development isn't close to complete so his scope for improvement is still huge. He's got an incredible ability for a guy his size to gather the ball at ground level and also uses the ball well. Every facet of his game will improve markedly once he fills out especially his marking and ruck work as he will be able to stand his ground. I'd be surprised if doesn't end up being the competitions most dominant ruck in a few years time.

Don't give up on Grundy, TD.
Huge upside still, we probably saw a glimpse of him way too early.
Still reckon he can be a massive force in the next few years with extra strength, fitness and coaching.

I have not, I think he will be better then Witts.

Grundy in his Prime has the Potential being the Best Ruck in the AFL

He has been good, but there is still a long way to go. I think Ryder had the better of it last week, but Witts stood his ground.

There is still a lot of work to be done with Witts in regards to teaching him how to best utilise his size.

He sould be taking 2-3 contested marks a game. I also think he jumps far too early, and therefore he loses his height advantage and strength in the contest.

I think he needs to look at vision of Sandilands. Sandi doesn't jump much. He steps over the line, takes the opponents run away and stands tall. Then around the ground he just uses his massive size to dominate.

In marking contests, he simply stands tall. No jumping or leaping at the footy. His strength and height is enough.

Witts could be even more dominant than Sandi because he has height and agility. But I think learning how to use strength as opposed to agility is what he needs to learn. Yes he is agile, but compared to 200cm rucks he is not. He is quick for his height, but not quick by AFL standards.
With Witts/ Sandilands comparison although they are a similar height, watching Witts since he first started VFL he has never seemed to have the same size or reach as Sandilands. The measuring tape says one thing but Sandilands appears to be alot bigger, more awkward to deal with and longer than Witts.

With Witts/ Sandilands comparison although they are a similar height, watching Witts since he first started VFL he has never seemed to have the same size or reach as Sandilands. The measuring tape says one thing but Sandilands appears to be alot bigger, more awkward to deal with and longer than Witts.
050590-f287f6a2-e0b7-11e3-9ab7-20f6e47ce045.jpg

I agree with this, in taller players a small difference in body type becomes quite distinct and he's fairly different to Sandilands. As you pointed out however he doesn't appear as awkward as Sandilands. To me he looks to have a stronger set of legs and once he develop some core strength he'll be a much more complete player.

I think a lot of that has to do with the actual player, rather than his size... Witts just hasn't yet become to type of big man who knows how to use his size to his advantage - it's something that Grundy, on the otherhand, does too much. It's also not something that inevitably happens, or that just comes with size - and I'm not sure how much it can be 'taught'... some big men (and basketball is a great example of this) just never learn how to use their body well, while others, even if they aren't the tallest/largest, do it extremely well. Only time will tell if Witts can become one of those guys, but at least his tackling shows that he's not afraid to throw his body around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back