AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you read past the 2nd paragraph?

I'm the last person who would ever stick up for the eagles, but this is a disgraceful display of VFL mentality. If Richmond can't provide an appropriate jumper for an away game they should be made to play in fluoro pink.
The article changed quite a bit from the original.
EDIT - What he said

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Duly noted. Poor form from a news outlet to slide in an amendment without acknowledgement, but I guess that's modern journalism for you.

Didn't West Coast wear a white kit at home vs Essendon in 2010?

How this stuff still happens is beyond me :oops:

We also had to wear white shorts in our 2011 home final against Carlton even though they had an adequate clash jumper.

Carlton-Clash-2011.gif

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
What's wrong with wings?!

Apologies for our piss weak clash jumper too.

If West Coast never changed from their proper guernsey (blue with the yellow wings) none of this confusion would have arisen.

Now they wear blue, navy blue, white, yellow in various stripes and assortments. The Eagles have created confusion by having that three stripe guernsey. If they had stuck with their heritage guernsey none of this would have happened and no "clash".

Surely it is quite simple...I can't see how high paid Eagles executives can't get it through their thick skull.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Blue wings for "clashes" if needs be and yellow wings for other matches. That three strip thing is useless.

team-song-2004-600.jpg

dean-cox-adam-selwood-2007-600.jpg

grimface_87

Premiership Player
May 27, 2008
Melbourne territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the clash was that bad last year, why didn't the AFL direct Richmond to change their clash jumper for this year? I think we will probably just see Richmond v West Coast in Melbourne for the next 5 years so this doesn't happen again (well, until 2020 when we are in the same situation)

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
If the clash was that bad last year, why didn't the AFL direct Richmond to change their clash jumper for this year? I think we will probably just see Richmond v West Coast in Melbourne for the next 5 years so this doesn't happen again (well, until 2020 when we are in the same situation)

Same problem if they play an away game in Adelaide. So, instead of not making Richmond play away games in Adelaide and West Coast, due to aesthetics, maybe Richmond should act like a professional sporting club and get a decent clash guernsey. The one that its VFL club came up with (in its first year) probably isn't a bad starting point.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If West Coast never changed from their proper guernsey (blue with the yellow wings) none of this confusion would have arisen.

Now they wear blue, navy blue, white, yellow in various stripes and assortments. The Eagles have created confusion by having that three stripe guernsey. If they had stuck with their heritage guernsey none of this would have happened and no "clash".

Surely it is quite simple...I can't see how high paid Eagles executives can't get it through their thick skull.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Blue wings for "clashes" if needs be and yellow wings for other matches. That three strip thing is useless.

team-song-2004-600.jpg

I disagree West Coast as the home team should be able to wear what ever they want. Its up to the away team to come up with an appropriate alternative

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
I disagree West Coast as the home team should be able to wear what ever they want. Its up to the away team to come up with an appropriate alternative
True... but West Coast changing their jumper to a tri-panel design that actually creates clashes was a bad idea.

Oneiros

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, San Jose Sharks
The article's changed since I posted it: note that if you hover over the link I posted, even the headline at the time I posted the link was about West Coast "choosing" to wear the white jumper. What "the AFL told Fairfax Media" (second paragraph of the revised article) is actually what was published as fact when I posted that link - presumably the Eagles have since clarified the matter.

Yeah, when that link came out we were all over the club's media man like big cartoon animals on bad clash jumpers and that certainly got them up and about.

Sep 25, 2011
The Home of Football
AFL Club
Collingwood
We also had to wear white shorts in our 2011 home final against Carlton even though they had an adequate clash jumper.

Carlton-Clash-2011.gif
Finals are played by different rules though. Quite often the home team will wear white shorts, sometimes when the corresponding game in the regular season they didn't.

Geelong wore white vs Freo last year
Geelong vs Port 2013
Collingwood vs West Coast 2012
Geelong vs Freo 2012
Collingwood vs Hawthorn 2011
Geelong vs West Coast 2011
West Coast vs Carlton 2011
Geelong vs Hawthorn 2011

Recent examples

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Finals are played by different rules though. Quite often the home team will wear white shorts, sometimes when the corresponding game in the regular season they didn't.

Geelong wore white vs Freo last year
Geelong vs Port 2013
Collingwood vs West Coast 2012
Geelong vs Freo 2012
Collingwood vs Hawthorn 2011
Geelong vs West Coast 2011
West Coast vs Carlton 2011
Geelong vs Hawthorn 2011

Recent examples

Geelong pretty much wears white shorts in every final (I actually can't remember the last time Geelong wore navy shorts in a final). The Cats should wear white against those teams normally as well, in my opinion. As for West Coast v Carlton in 2011, it was nothing short of a farce. If that wasn't enough to embarrass the league into taking some action, it will probably take something drastic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Pre-season match, IIRC

I do remember the Eagles wore the clash guernsey against someone at home the year it was released, which was pretty short sighted, to say the least. Because now when they kick up a stink (which they have every right to, of course) someone is going to come back and say 'That's a bit rich from you, since you wore the clash guernsey at home back in (??) for no good reason.'

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I do remember the Eagles wore the clash guernsey against someone at home the year it was released, which was pretty short sighted, to say the least. Because now when they kick up a stink (which they have every right to, of course) someone is going to come back and say 'That's a bit rich from you, since you wore the clash guernsey at home back in (??) for no good reason.'

Not sure off the top of my head, but could you be thinking about this?

Freo home game.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I'm the last person who would ever stick up for the eagles, but this is a disgraceful display of VFL mentality. If Richmond can't provide an appropriate jumper for an away game they should be made to play in fluoro pink.

This. The AFL should make the default clash jumper for every team as pink jumper with pink shorts and socks - unless the club comes up with an approved alternative that works in resolving the clash.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
This. The AFL should make the default clash jumper for every team as pink jumper with pink shorts and socks - unless the club comes up with an approved alternative that works in resolving the clash.
White with pink polka dots and a pink tutu.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
The "rules" and excuses the AFL make are purely so they can do what they want come finals time. Last year, Freo were told we clashed with the Hawks but since Hawthorn were the top ranked side, they got the choice which is fair enough. I get the feeling that if roles are reversed in the future, the top drawing Vic side still gets preference and they will make the excuse that their clash Guernsey doesn't provide enough contrast.

It is so simple to fix and have rules on that no one loses face or is forced to comprise. It's a joke they haven't done anything about it.

team-song-2004-600.jpg

It isn't confusing - at our home game we should have the right to wear whatever jumper we want. The opposing side then simply avoids a clash. Similarly when we play away, we just need to avoid a clash

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
It isn't confusing - at our home game we should have the right to wear whatever jumper we want. The opposing side then simply avoids a clash. Similarly when we play away, we just need to avoid a clash

The AFL don't do simple mate. It's one rule for Victorian clubs, and another rule for everyone else.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
The AFL don't do simple mate. It's one rule for Victorian clubs, and another rule for everyone else.
Bullshit, it's one rule for Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond & Essendon and another rule for everyone else with Hawthorn taking the piss.

To be fair Collingwood and Carlton have at least attempted come up with suitable alternate kits, the use/non-use of them is the problem there.

As an aside they really need to get rid of the side panels on some of the clash kits as they pretty much defeat the purpose.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Bullshit, it's one rule for Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond & Essendon and another rule for everyone else with Hawthorn taking the piss.

To be fair Collingwood and Carlton have at least attempted come up with suitable alternate kits, they use of them it the problem there.

Ok, it's one rule for a select few "special" clubs and another rule for everyone else. It's still a double standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back