Preview Round 18 Preview: Sydney Swans vs Hawks (Combined match talk and banter thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he deserves another chance, bj been good as a sub but his kicking especially at goal has let him down a bit. Unless towers plays a lot better than Rohan, I expect he would make way the following week for Shaw. Who will make way for hanners though? Someone gonna be very unlucky.

Think he deserves another chance, bj been good as a sub but his kicking especially at goal has let him down a bit. Unless towers plays a lot better than Rohan, I expect he would make way the following week for Shaw. Who will make way for hanners though? Someone gonna be very unlucky.
Hope there is no more injury.
I think Towers is being pretty harshly judged. Didn't set the world on fire, but did quite a few good things. Not necessarily with the ball, but ran to the right place to open space, shepherd and keep his man occupied.

BJ seems a good type, but i don't think he does much more than towers did. For a more contested style team (e.g. demons, crows, freo) i'd go with BJ. For a team like Hawks, i think Towers has more run and is taller, so will give a better contest. Seems a better fit for the Hawks than BJ.
I think his height is the edge over BJ as either of them will work on Isaac Smith in the game.

Towers is extremely athletic for 189cm , these guys are hard to find at that height and with speed ala Rohan/Rampe are similar , there are KD still in the comp at that height ala Gibson etc so its a rare to have that height and pace. Hope he shows something tomorrow night as the sub otherwise time is limited and a wasted pick up.

Driving over for this game, and i CAN'T WAIT!!!
This will be an epic battle between two modern day rivals and @ the G too.... Looking forward to my hangover!!

Towers is extremely athletic for 189cm , these guys are hard to find at that height and with speed ala Rohan/Rampe are similar , there are KD still in the comp at that height ala Gibson etc so its a rare to have that height and pace. Hope he shows something tomorrow night as the sub otherwise time is limited and a wasted pick up.
That's why he is picked in the first round.

Yeah, but the problem is that BJ never gets enough time, always just chucked in towards the end when the result is beyond doubt. Sometimes BJ just has to come in for a bit longer to make a real impact and impression.
Yeah it's a bit of a sticky situation but I think Towers has the wood over him this week against a Hawks side that stands a bit taller and goes a bit harder when on the outside than most other clubs...

Rohan will always get preference over Towers

Yep. Exactly why I'm keen to see him do well. It's great seeing guys like Jack & Lloyd playing well but if we can get players like Towers and Rohan to reach their potential they'll be seriously damaging.

Gibson hasn't played in 11 weeks and will be extremely underdone and feels like a desperate move, meh we bring our A game get close to 100 tackles and they wont be able to keep us under 100pts.

They almost conceded 100pts to Adelaide lol.

On the flip side if you bring your MCG game and score 62pts like vs Richmond good luck keeping us under that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of talk here about having just one good quarter. Our 'one good quarter' against Carlton was indicative of the defensive game Carlton (and other teams) have played on us. With our star studded forward line a lesser opposition often focuses mainly on negating our forwards with a 'damage limiting' mindset. Meanwhile we focus on shutting down the opposition's preferred game style (relying on huge pressure, mainly from our mids) while we use the turnovers to get our attack going, driven by fast ball movement from rebound. Their ultra defensive efforts may be effective for a couple of quarters but, nonetheless, we eventually find the cracks and when we do we hit hard, very hard, while the door is ajar. Most teams can hold us for 3 quarters with a purely defensive game but it's that one quarter where we can score heavily and the damage is done. 10 goals in one quarter or 2, 3, 4 and 1. It makes no difference. I suspect the Hawks will forego the uber defensive approach and try to focus on their own game, knowing it's impossible to hold the Swans for 4 quarters. That should open up the game for a cracking 4 quarters of attack and counter-attack.

Gibson hasn't played in 11 weeks and will be extremely underdone and feels like a desperate move, meh we bring our A game get close to 100 tackles and they wont be able to keep us under 100pts.

They almost conceded 100pts to Adelaide lol.

Not so much desperate as last man standing at over 6 foot. Necessity rather than luxury. Their tall stocks aint so good in the defence.

Hanneberry will be a big loss from the last game. BJack or even Membrey would be better than Towers. (hopefully I will eat my words there)
Pyke should be better than Derricks.
I'm tipping a big one from young Lloyd. This could really set us up for September but a loss wouldn't be all bad. Looking forward to it.

Go SWANS.

Lloydy played really well when he came on in the last Hawks game. He certainly provided some great tackle pressure. He got a full game the week after I think. I think our young blokes like playing the Hawks. Biggs came in last year and got plenty in his first game against Hawks at ANZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back