NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL is the only comp playing this weekend. all other divisions have a bye.Thus the only games being played in all of south east Qld this weekend, are Lions vs Suns at 11.30 am and Aspley vs Redlands at 1.30 on Saturday.I see in the paper today ( the bulletin by Terry Wilson ) that QAFL CEO , Mick Conlan said this bye was scheduled because of the so called Q clash between The Lions and Suns at the Gabba on Saturday evening, with the goal of achieving a bigger crowd at the Gabba.Conlan has obviously copped a heap of criticism about this, and to his credit , has openly admitted this was a mistake.Also, in defence of Conlan, it was most likely a AFL directive.
Just goes to show, that grass roots footy in QLD means sweet f..k all to the AFL...... geez, creating a bye at this stage of the season, hoping it will get another 300 or so people to the Q clash... I just cannot fathom this way of thinking, yet alone implementing this into the seasons fixtures.

They could have simply scheduled local games to be played on Sunday.

No games on weekend is simply stupid

Saw Aspley defeat Redland today. Pretty much were the better side all day. Sansbury at full forward bagged 9 in a classic display and Hughes kicked 6 for Redland in a great effort as well.

thunder win by 33 points over Swans .
Interested to see how many listed players the Swannies took.

All credit to NT in a great win, but around this time of the year, they are the beneficiary of some AFL clubs resting players from the long travel to NT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers JB... Then it's a very good win by NT!

Yesterday,

As I have mentioned a few time on this forum, its a big gig playing in Darwin even for an AFL structured reserve side with 14 listed/rookie players - The Sydney Uni score looks fairly good based on this latest result. That's not taking anything away for the Thunder, as what all sides have got to go through once a home and away season playing in Darwin, the Thunder do it in reverse each second or third week - "just how good are these guys" unfortunately we will never really know as due to the distance we really can't get a level playing field (pardon the pun).

The NEAFL might not be the best 2nd tier AFL competition in the country (as a lot of kill joys are at pains to point out) but without doubt, it would be the mentally and physically hardest to play in, all players training 3 nights a week, along with their personal training regimes - running, gym work etc, then when the draw requires it asking their boss for Friday afternoon off to travel interstate, sleep in a strange bed, play, travel again after the game and then have Sunday off to recover and spend a little time with their families/ girlfriends etc - It certainly seems a bit harder than sleeping at home and driving a couple of hours at most too and from the game and then spend the night after a few social drinks at home.

Thunder have been the benchmark since the NEAFL started, they and the AFL reserve sides have been the far superior footy sides, but only when the game has been played on their terms against sides throughout ACT Sydney, Gold Coast and Brisbane, where a couple of good torpedo punt kicks separated most clubs in their regions.

Before the latest restructure, these clubs especially up here in Queensland IMO, were in a compromised comp, where there were too many clubs playing in the "elite" AFLQ level and due to a must win mindset of these clubs, most would be constantly trying to get the best and most profiled including junior players from there opposing clubs with promises of a few sheckels and a chance of having the best position to have these players drafted.

All this did, due to the amount of these close neighboring clubs in each region of say AFL wise the size of Geelong, was weaken the fabric of the AFL grass roots footy here in the S/E Corner from the top level to the "F" level (of which the supporters of these clubs often post on here that the competition is compromised and substandard etc) There are not too many Gumbies if any, playing in the NEAFL Competition here in Qld - Then we read total crap from posters on this blog who IMO are dirty that their sides (who they still support but bag our competition and the sides having a go in it) are now watching their clubs playing in a competition that is more affordable and sustainable but still over populated with noncompetitive clubs which is an ongoing repeated structure like the old NEAFL Level.

But in the space of a year all has changed up here in Queensland, when this year the AFL machine came up with the new look NEAFL competition Mark II. Which has been put into place primarily to give our AFL Reserve sides a more structured competition to play in.

This has changed the face of the AFL especially up here in Qld, Southport who had dominated in Qld in the past and who have had horrific luck this year and the two relative new sides Aspley and Redland have come of age and are still growing moving forward.

We are now making excuses for the AFL Reserve side's by saying that they are not interested in this comp (that the AFL has used their and our $$$$$ funds to set up), I say that is total Crap and that the 2 AFL Reserve sides here in Qld are clearly no longer good enough in their present rule format to be competitive against the revamped Qld NEAFL sides - This may be proven at finals time with the Southern AFL reserve sides being unleashed against the Northern and NT sides who finish in the top 6. The only way to change this is to keep beating AFL Reserve sides until the AFL and their supporters say enough is enough - the AFL will not contribute to something that they can't control and presently up here they have lost it.

I watched the Aspley V Redland game on the replay before on the NEAFL web site and I must say, the brand of footy these two sides displayed has improved 5 fold from 3 years ago - fast, hard running, tough, extremely skilled footy played in a fairly good natured spirit, I wont be missing the game of the round at Casheezy Park, this will be game of the year for these two sides and their supporters. These are two serious footy sides who play a brand of footy not seen by these eyes here (even if it was on my computer screen) in Qld before at a club level.

I have no doubt that if and when the ACT and Sydney revamp comes into place, this too will strengthen their regions and the NEAFL competition even more, to a point when all of the AFL structured reserve sides will struggle to compete against the local non professional structured clubs in this current format.

Last edited:
Good post BB - agree with 99% but i don't when you say the AFL will get sick of having their AFL 2's sides beaten up - in fact the very reverse imo. The old adage that you learn more from a loss than you do from a win will hold true. The last thing the AFL 2's clubs want to do is have their blokes winning by 10 goals every week. Anyone can play well in these games, not just anyone can play well when you lose by a lot... Those that do will play AFL senior footy. If the new set up allowed the AFL 2's sides to smash everyone week in week out then they would question the value. Next year when the southern teams are filtered and the talent combined will provide a great comp for recruiters to see who can actually play. If a State 18 boy can get a game for Redlands next year and play well + get a kick in the 18's games, he will get drafted I think. 2 years ago this was not the case

.................FOOTY TIPPING AFTER ROUND 17
………………………………After......Round......After
……………………………...Rd 16........17........Rd 17

blackdog32.........................78.............5........83
chikka ferguson....................78............5........83
Dogwarna...........................77.............5........82
nqtragic..............................76............3........79
billybunter...........................75............4........79
justabaraker........................75............4........79
NorWest..............................74...........5........79
Lifes a beach 1....................75............3........78
stuyd1................................71...........4........75
brewser..............................65............5........70
one 4 the road.....................67............x........67x

Would have to agree with the Swans ZZZ, I saw the Belconnen v Eastlakes game on Sat, the ground was a disgrace, if they spent money on that I'd be looking for a refund. The conditions suited the home team we'll anyway who stuck it to Eastlakes, including at least 2 or 3 pretty crude elbows!!!!

As previously discussed, I've heard similar about Qbn, sad that some questionable characters can ruin a club like that in a few years with total disregard for honesty.

Will Syd Uni be in it for the long haul?

Not sure if the surviving southern clubs will bridge the gap in any case.

Sad to say .... but Yep we are gone from NEAFL in 2015, we have tried but its not sustainable and we have felt the NEAFL hasnt really presented a strong case that if we invest we will be supported longer term anyway - so we would be throwing good money and much effort into a pointless cause longer term.

We have heard up in Eagle land that despite the external messages from Queanbeyan painting a picture of them continuing in NEAFL in 2015 they are in very similar boat it is almost financially impossible for them to do so. Also one club official confirmed some weeks back indicated that over 12 players in current senior side are headed for Country leagues in 2015 which rubber stamps the message internally that its all over for them in NEAFL. Even their coaches are submitting CV's at other NEAFL clubs & with country league clubs as we speak.

Dont be surprised if Kade Klemke is donning different colours in the NEAFL next year as a playing coach - Ainslie are front runners currently

Word is that he cant get out of Queanbeyan quick enough with all the goings on mentioned by Rivareena

Syd Uni will be a very strong outfit next year with many of our young NEAFL standard players likely to move across to them in 2015. Add those types to a very good list with Brabazon, O'Dwyer, Winmar, Sierakowski and Derrickx & they will be super competitive. This paves way for strong list indeed.

So I will have to go back to AFL Sydney forum sadly next year :-(

Sad to say .... but Yep we are gone from NEAFL in 2015, we have tried but its not sustainable and we have felt the NEAFL hasnt really presented a strong case that if we invest we will be supported longer term anyway - so we would be throwing good money and much effort into a pointless cause longer term.

We have heard up in Eagle land that despite the external messages from Queanbeyan painting a picture of them continuing in NEAFL in 2015 they are in very similar boat it is almost financially impossible for them to do so. Also one club official confirmed some weeks back indicated that over 12 players in current senior side are headed for Country leagues in 2015 which rubber stamps the message internally that its all over for them in NEAFL. Even their coaches are submitting CV's at other NEAFL clubs & with country league clubs as we speak.

Dont be surprised if Kade Klemke is donning different colours in the NEAFL next year as a playing coach - Ainslie are front runners currently

Word is that he cant get out of Queanbeyan quick enough with all the goings on mentioned by Rivareena

Syd Uni will be a very strong outfit next year with many of our young NEAFL standard players likely to move across to them in 2015. Add those types to a very good list with Brabazon, O'Dwyer, Winmar, Sierakowski and Derrickx & they will be super competitive. This paves way for strong list indeed.

So I will have to go back to AFL Sydney forum sadly next year :-(

Suggest you worry about your own club ZZZ. And you may want to inform your coach of your decision to exit considering he spoke to our coach about planning and preparation for next season now that 2014 is over for them.

Bock retires effective immediately. Just seems to get harder for the Suns at the moment! In a few of the games I have seen, he's about the only player that has kept the opposition on their toes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back