2nds 2014 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Kinnear Beatson and his recruiting staff could definitively tell you but if I had to take a stab it would be due to his pace, which is also my guess to why he's in the side at the moment over guys like Membrey and ROK.
But surely the fact he got a game means he's doing something right?

Longmire said he was quick, had endurance and put good pressure on.

Maybe I'm just incredibly biased for some reason. I'm not sure what it is to be honest, I've never had a Swans player rub me up the wrong way

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm not basing my judgment of Towers on that one game alone. I would also have called out anyone would have made a conclusion, good or bad, on that one game alone.

My problem with Towers is twofold:
1. He goes missing during games frequently, there'll be long patches during the game where he'll hardly touch the ball. And this is in a side that is one of the dominant teams in the NEAFL. To be real frank, I think he isn't particularly fond of the physical side of the game
2. He's been wasting his time in the forward line. He is not a natural forward and his skills set do not support him playing long term as a forward. He has speed but doesn't know when and which areas to lead to, has a great leap but has poor hands and can't take pack marks, and is a below average kick for goal - he spurns more opportunities than he converts.

You might then ask why the Swans are electing to play him as a forward instead of the position he excelled at in the VFL - wingman/half-back. The answer is he was very poor in that position too when the Swans played him there at the start of his AFL career last year. Poor in one-on-one defensive contests, takes up bad positions and easily outbodied, which is a big no-no when you are playing in a Swans team.

I defer to your greater knowledge of his game. But I thought his leading and patterns were fine on the weekend. He knew when to lead and timed it well and led hard away from buddy preventing touchy or Simpson from impacting contests and he got the fall of the ball as quickly as any of our players.

He plays like all of our fast half forwards do - up and back to the contest and di it no worse (or better) than bj, Rohan. To be honest goodes struggles as well in this role. The ball bypasses them and it is a hard position in our game plan. McGlynn is really the only one of our small forwards who can find space to get the ball delivered to him in space. But that is often a consequence of him knowing when to break free and forwards of the ball whereas the other three I suspect are less confident of their position and so play tighter

Can anyone give me an update on Perris. He was yje next big thing when we drafted him. Havent heard much since. Also Biggs has to be upgraded or delisted this year. Whats his chance of being upgraded?
Perris - was about 4th/5th in the reserves midfield pecking order before rupturing his ACL and won't play again in 2014

Biggs - many people on this board believe he is the next backline saviour, however the coaches have shown no interest in elevating him this year despite an injury to Shaw and having a spot available for an elevation

Perris - was about 4th/5th in the reserves midfield pecking order before rupturing his ACL and won't play again in 2014

Biggs - many people on this board believe he is the next backline saviour, however the coaches have shown no interest in elevating him this year despite an injury to Shaw and having a spot available for an elevation
How many games have you watched Biggs live , just asking mate

I really like Biggs, what's your point if you have one?
Don't know how many said he was going to be our saviour but he is a very good player ( yes its NEAFL ) and his game has probably gone to the next level again this year. Because he has not been upgraded is doesn't mean that the coaches have no faith in him ( not saying you said that ) but really Shaws injury is not long term and Jones/Rohan have been playing HB in the 2s but if he was on the main list I would probably have him in front of both. No need to upgrade him atm which is a shame but my view and its only my view that he will be on the main list next year ( Hopefully ) because he is a clear standout at times in the 2s.
With Derickx now injured we don't want pyke to go down otherwise we might be using it on Naismith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: M.Dick, X.Richards, L.Roberts-Thomson
HB: S.Biggs, T.Walsh, S.Wray
C: H.Marsh, G.Hewett, J.Lockyer
HF: D.Hadden, T.Membrey, J.Hiscox
F: A.Davis, P.Mitchell, S.Naismith
Foll: T.Nankervis, R.O'Keefe, D.Robinson

Inter: J.Brain, J.Parker, D.Preen, V.Roser

daymee

Team Captain
May 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think there may be two elevation spots available?
Read somewhere they're loathe to promote another rookie as they've used one for Lloyd this year and are saving a spot for Naismith as Nank is injured, so is Derickx. Swans also run with a smaller list which could be linked to salary cap stuff. So yes, there are spots available, but have to be conservative. Oh I also think there was word of our LTI list, Lloyd is basically taking AJ's senior spot and with a few more injuries there could be scope for some more upgrades.

I hope Biggs gets a spot next year as he was really good in the finals last year.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Read somewhere they're loathe to promote another rookie as they've used one for Lloyd this year and are saving a spot for Naismith as Nank is injured, so is Derickx. Swans also run with a smaller list which could be linked to salary cap stuff. So yes, there are spots available, but have to be conservative. Oh I also think there was word of our LTI list, Lloyd is basically taking AJ's senior spot and with a few more injuries there could be scope for some more upgrades.

I hope Biggs gets a spot next year as he was really good in the finals last year.
Nankervis IS named in the Ressies and is an emergency in the Seniors, if that's what you mean by Nank

Fan853

Rookie
Jul 10, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

if not some other club will probably pick him up. I would have had him above jones or Rohan to fill shaws spot. But I guess being a rookie means u over looked cause need to be elevated to fill that role.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I defer to your greater knowledge of his game. But I thought his leading and patterns were fine on the weekend. He knew when to lead and timed it well and led hard away from buddy preventing touchy or Simpson from impacting contests and he got the fall of the ball as quickly as any of our players.

He plays like all of our fast half forwards do - up and back to the contest and di it no worse (or better) than bj, Rohan. To be honest goodes struggles as well in this role. The ball bypasses them and it is a hard position in our game plan. McGlynn is really the only one of our small forwards who can find space to get the ball delivered to him in space. But that is often a consequence of him knowing when to break free and forwards of the ball whereas the other three I suspect are less confident of their position and so play tighter

Benny just gets lost in the long grass. I know about that being even shorter than Benny I used to do it all the time. before you know it Benny emerges from the long grass 30 metres in from his oppenent on his lonesome. everyone scratches their collective heads and says 'How does he do it? He was right next to us a second ago.'

I think you are being a bit hard on Towers, Grimlock. I have seen him play some really good games as a forward. his kicking can be wayward but he certainly knows how to lead up. His hands are a bit hard at times, needs to meet the ball a bit softer hands and harder arms. He sometimes gets it the other way round. You are right that he can go missing though. But so can Membrey, Dick, Lockyer, BJ (one of my problems with him is that he flashes in and out of the play and doesn't time his run just one speed, all out), Hewitt (he is young and is becoming more consistent), Marsh ( I don't know what happens to him but he can have 30 mins of absolute brilliance and then nothing for the next two quarters) and the list goes on. They are all learning to do things the Swans way. Towers is a bit older and he probably learned some bad habits in the VFL.

In saying that I think he had his moments against Blues. A couple of extraordinary handballs. His lead up work was good but his hands were too hard and he dropped marks. He seemed very nervous to me. His field kicking is normally pretty good but he shanked a couple against Blues. You are also right about his goal kicking. He could do with some intensive sessions with Nicky.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
hey guys is there a link where I can watch a replay of the games or is it streamed?

NEAFL Website. http://neafl.com.au/index.php?id=16...]=1787&cHash=e46be34d19dda790b053668c83b30de1

The game is being streamed from 7.30pm Saturday night. But that is the same time as the telecast of our game starts. There will be a replay which might be up by Tuesday if we are lucky. I watch every game that has been streamed and look at all the highlight reels which can be found on the Swans website.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Can anyone give me an update on Perris. He was yje next big thing when we drafted him. Havent heard much since. Also Biggs has to be upgraded or delisted this year. Whats his chance of being upgraded?

Done his Anterior Cruciate and has just had a LARS surgery. He and AJ will be keeping each other company through recovery.Before you ask Aliir has just had a shoulder reconstruction.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

I agree with Punts. This guy is a really good player. Nobody I know said he was going to be a backline saviour. But he is a very consistent and solid performer. He is also a player with elite delivery. He has the goods to play for a lot of years for this footy club. We couldn't upgrade him when Shaw got injured because we had already upgraded Lloydy for Tommy Walsh, who was on the long term injury list. tommy came back & AJ going down meant we could keep Lloydy in the Seniors as an upgraded Rookie. But even when Aliir went on the long term list we were loathe to upgrade anyone just in case a ruckman went down. Guess what, one did, Tommy Derrickx is out for 2-3 weeks. So unfortunately Biggsie missed out due to need this year but I am pretty sure he will get an upgrade at the end of the year. Another poster said we might have one or two spots next year. I think that is an underestimation. We will have at least three retiring if not four. Plus there are some delistings. So up to seven spots. We will draft some tall defenders but the mids pretty good considering we will get Heeney in the draft this year and Mills next if the AFL doesn't rig it so Collingwood get first dibs on them. If they do I hope Mills and Heeney say to them we will only stay one year then go home just like Rocca & Richard Osborne did to us!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back