QAFA (B) Central-2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Northsider, Do you play for sandgate? as I dont think there will be an upset this week. Wynnum will take the cake! But goodluck tho!

Yeronga
Wynnum
Zillmere
Jimboomba (9am on sat, may be closer than we think)
Woodsmen (cricket score on a hard cricket pitch type field)

QAFL_fan I notice you stirring the pot in the higher division QAFL. There are plenty of hidden gems in this league, you have clearly lost touch with the recruiting gift! :rolleyes:

Not saying they'll get a win or anything (though you never know!) but with uni holidays now over there are numbers coming back into all sides in the club, which obviously has a flow on effect into the 5ths. The last few rounds should see their strongest side of the year on the park.

Not saying they'll get a win or anything (though you never know!) but with uni holidays now over there are numbers coming back into all sides in the club, which obviously has a flow on effect into the 5ths. The last few rounds should see their strongest side of the year on the park.

Hey St. Kilda beat Freo, anything's possible!! :)

Wynnum by 8 in a very physical and ill disciplined game

Hey swamp13 - was it true that Wynnum had about 7 of their top guys out and that they had only one guy on the bench after half time? If that's the case, they'll be hard to beat come finals?

Did Sandgate drop any back?

Hey swamp13 - was it true that Wynnum had about 7 of their top guys out and that they had only one guy on the bench after half time? If that's the case, they'll be hard to beat come finals?

Did Sandgate drop any back?

I will jump in for Swampy. Yes we were a bit light on for players this week, had some of our best out with work and injuries. Had another guy who played but was pretty sick, was throwing his guts up after the game (the guy who was marking him might want to go an see a doctor today!!).
I am not sure we even had 1 left on the bench, certainly not for the last quarter anyway. One of our guys dislocated his shoulder pretty badly. So I think we did pretty well to tough out the last quarter when Sandgate were pouring on the pressure. Kept Widt to 3 goals, (a lucky bounce in the third quarter and two good marks by him in the last quarter, when they had all the run of play) instead of his average of almost 6 a game, so we were pleased with that effort.
I have no idea about the last question. It did not appear that way to me.

Been told Yeronga over Kedron 10.13 73
8.4 52

Kedron must have dropped a few players back if that scoreline is correct. They had been pretty poor in the previous weeks. Yeronga would have been expecting a good percentage boost out of that game, to help take some pressure off. But at least it seems they got the win.

Hey St. Kilda beat Freo, anything's possible!! :)

Jimboomba got up by about 3 goals. Did not like being challenged though, and we're thugs all game. Umpires gave no protection to the bloke going for the footy at any stage, especially toward the end when it got really heated. One mulleted redback even had a uni bloke in a Brian Lake choke-hold and the umpire did nothing. Bad umpiring happens all the time and you cop it, but it was negligently dangerous today. Our boys did really well to almost get the win with no-one on the bench in the last quarter.

I will jump in for Swampy. Yes we were a bit light on for players this week, had some of our best out with work and injuries. Had another guy who played but was pretty sick, was throwing his guts up after the game (the guy who was marking him might want to go an see a doctor today!!).
I am not sure we even had 1 left on the bench, certainly not for the last quarter anyway. One of our guys dislocated his shoulder pretty badly. So I think we did pretty well to tough out the last quarter when Sandgate were pouring on the pressure. Kept Widt to 3 goals, (a lucky bounce in the third quarter and two good marks by him in the last quarter, when they had all the run of play) instead of his average of almost 6 a game, so we were pleased with that effort.
I have no idea about the last question. It did not appear that way to me.

What's the point in dropping players back for one game?!! Sandgate will finish 2nd or 3rd anyway so you're not getting any real benefit. I think it's time we dropped the "dropping players back" line.

(unless it's questioning Yeronga of course...... joking...joking ):)

Had planned on getting out to Springfield today but when the "Minster" speaks, you've got to listen....;)

No team up yet for the Woodsmen, but I know they're somewhat light on for overall personnel, including game day help (hence my intention to travel out there).

Might not be the cricket score people are expecting.

Wonder how UQ went against Jimboomba? The Reddies are getting some good players back by the looks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jimboomba got up by about 3 goals. Did not like being challenged though, and we're thugs all game. Umpires gave no protection to the bloke going for the footy at any stage, especially toward the end when it got really heated. One mulleted redback even had a uni bloke in a Brian Lake choke-hold and the umpire did nothing. Bad umpiring happens all the time and you cop it, but it was negligently dangerous today. Our boys did really well to almost get the win with no-one on the bench in the last quarter.

And there's my answer...... Thanks paddlepop!

Wouldn't worry too much about behaviour of Jimboomba. They do have good blokes who are hard at the ball and love to share a beer at the end of the game...... But they also have a few who take things too far and beyond the spirit of the game. Are they thugs? No not all of them really, they just perhaps are making up for deficiencies in their ability.

Can always lodge a complaint if you felt it was too far....... It wouldn't help their chances of going up a division.

What's the point in dropping players back for one game?!! Sandgate will finish 2nd or 3rd anyway so you're not getting any real benefit. I think it's time we dropped the "dropping players back" line.

(unless it's questioning Yeronga of course...... joking...joking ):)

Had planned on getting out to Springfield today but when the "Minster" speaks, you've got to listen....;)

No team up yet for the Woodsmen, but I know they're somewhat light on for overall personnel, including game day help (hence my intention to travel out there).

Might not be the cricket score people are expecting.

Wonder how UQ went against Jimboomba? The Reddies are getting some good players back by the looks.
Incorrect King 05 - Mathematically, Sandgate can still finish as low as fifth so dropping players back would be of huge benefit. From an outside perspective, I think that it is the single most important issue with this league as it potentially shapes the season for some clubs. Especially when so many people put so much work into a season. To have it impacted by this unethical act would be a little frustrating. I understand the concept of the 'one club' and the idea of getting guys back through injury or running them into form, but I dare say that any club (or person for that matter whether it be in the sporting arena or not) could get a win with some assistance, they would take it. It's human nature. Who likes to lose?

Incorrect King 05 - Mathematically, Sandgate can still finish as low as fifth so dropping players back would be of huge benefit. From an outside perspective, I think that it is the single most important issue with this league as it potentially shapes the season for some clubs. Especially when so many people put so much work into a season. To have it impacted by this unethical act would be a little frustrating. I understand the concept of the 'one club' and the idea of getting guys back through injury or running them into form, but I dare say that any club (or person for that matter whether it be in the sporting arena or not) could get a win with some assistance, they would take it. It's human nature. Who likes to lose?
You would be right mr person, a couple of boys I know who play qafl ressies played last night. I see no point also in dropping players back. I know of 5 teams that have done it to us this year. It's annoying because I love a contest but come finals when the players havnt qualified it's going to become obvious that teams have been 'dropping players back' looking forward to a full list and finals in acouple of weeks :)

You would be right mr person, a couple of boys I know who play qafl ressies played last night. I see no point also in dropping players back. I know of 5 teams that have done it to us this year. It's annoying because I love a contest but come finals when the players havnt qualified it's going to become obvious that teams have been 'dropping players back' looking forward to a full list and finals in acouple of weeks :)
I think that's always going be the nature of 3rds...If your a standalone team it might appear unfair but a genuine 3rds outfit like Sandgate has a lot of other challenges like players playing up a grade to fill sides...We've never left anybody out all year and basically scrape our last 2 or 3 guys any which way we can...If that happens to be from the 2nds this week because they have a bye well so be it...

I just got wind of the Woodsmen score......... it's going to be a tough finish to the year for Springfield. It may be tough to hear, but they are a better club for being rid of those blokes and the coach/other officials. They might have made them more competitive but you can't underestimate the value of the culture of footy clubs.

There is an enormous difference between 'stacking' a side, and filling your 22 in the best way possible.

Kedron have often struggled to get 18 out there this year, so on a weekend when their seniors and reserves have a bye - surely everyone knows they will fill out their 22 with ressie players or anyone else willing to play. Why wouldn't they?

but I dare say that any club (or person for that matter whether it be in the sporting arena or not) could get a win with some assistance, they would take it. It's human nature. Who likes to lose?

Not true at all. We (the Woodsmen) have a number of gun players we won't be using in the finals, because they aren't part of the club, don't pay fees and aren't regulars. We just call on them when we are short, which is regularly. We've had over 50 players play for us this year, and despite that - we've struggled for 22 the last 5 matches! I can't recall the last time we actually picked a team, rather than cobbled one together.

We won't be a weakened side come finals by any stretch, but there will be some extremely high quality players who have qualified for finals that won't be called upon, because it goes against the ethos of our club. If you have to ask a guy to play, then he shouldn't be playing in my book.

Jimboomba for years have had a bad reputations. But it doesn't speak for the majority of the team who are mostly good blokes. It's just a few of guys. The guy with the mallet sounds like the coaches son who apparently threatened to knock out his dad / coach after their loss to kedron.

s**t Northsider, taking to his father with a mallet? That sounds nasty. :D

The cricket score eventuated but these losses will just help us grow as a team. Just wish we could look at having some god-damn rotations. It's not easy being a little skinny guy in the midfield without any breaks. ;)

Good on the Woodsmen though, were real friendly throughout the match, or at least my opponents were. Even after I got one of them in the head with a shoulder.

It wasn't intentional. Just thought I'd point that out. With our reputation you never know what people might think. :p

Northsider, Div 3 central... Mallets? That's hardcore.
Feel sorry for Greater Western Springfield, sounds like a good bunch of blokes down on their luck. Best thing they can do though is get rid of the duds and move forward. And perhaps grow some grass on their oval :)

I would think the clubs that only have one team would have the advantage in this comp? If a good player comes along for them it's great if a good player comes along for a club that has 3 teams this player will not be playing in the higher teams very quickly. Just look at the past premiership all one team clubs. So all the talk of dropping players is mad. Don't hear a lot of talk about the number of players that move up a grade. I looked at Yeronga team this year compared to last a lot of there regulars have played up a grade all year.

I would think the clubs that only have one team would have the advantage in this comp? If a good player comes along for them it's great if a good player comes along for a club that has 3 teams this player will not be playing in the higher teams very quickly. Just look at the past premiership all one team clubs. So all the talk of dropping players is mad. Don't hear a lot of talk about the number of players that move up a grade. I looked at Yeronga team this year compared to last a lot of there regulars have played up a grade all year.

I think it depends. A good player may end up leaving for a stronger club/higher division anyway.

Then again if a club is offering the type of environment which appeals, a good player may end up sticking around. Look at the Woodsmen, there's a few there who should be playing at a higher level, but given what the club offers (reduced training sessions/commitment to footy, lots of mates playing there) opt to stay.

Western Magpies have been trying to pinch blokes off us since Jesus was a boy, and we've never lost a single player to them. Plenty have flowed the other direction though!

Even if we were officially their 3rds, our guys wouldn't play 1sts or 2nds even though many are good enough - because the whole reason people play for us is because games are Friday night and training requirements are very relaxed.

It's a bit of a myth that we don't train, we have 2 sessions a week. It's just that attendance varies between 5 and 15 players out of 50+ listed each session and if you can't train, it doesn't hinder your chance of selection.

Good on Springfield for showing up, much easier to take the soft option and forfeit. I'll offer a quick comment on the facilities though....

Given we got a 2 page complaint lodged by Springfield against us after our home game, I was expecting to lob up and find the Taj Mahal. Instead we brought our own seats, our own awning to use as makeshift rooms, our own massage table - spent 10 minutes trying to work out where the lines were marked, found exposed sprinkler heads on the field and the goalposts had junior sized pads on them about 5 feet high......

On one boundary there are lines marked for an athletic track (ie: 8 lanes) so there were about 10 lines down one side and good luck working out which one is the boundary! The centre square was not normal size, I was playing CHB and was 10m from the centre bounce!

All understandable for a club finding its feet, and I wouldn't normally bat an eyelid - though the goalpost pads are a serious safety concern.... however it reminds me of the old saying "those in glass houses....."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back