Opinion After Eddie...

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be broken at some point in the future. Do we wait until it happens or do we have a plan in place to manage a transition to a new HIGH QUALITY successor.

Why is it that at the Swans managed to have a coaching succession plan that worked, and the Hawks did the same with Kennett as president, but we are incapable of achieving the same. Funny how both of these organisations managed the change and where are they now?

Succession planning is the bread and butter of well run organisations. Waiting for a coach or President to fail before replacing then is just ludicrous. The art is in getting the timing right and process right.

Paul Roos left the Swans on his own free will and wasnt forced to abdicate while enjoying the support of the players and the team flying high. John Longmire also did a long apprenticeship under Roos .

Not sure about Kennett arrangement but he too left without being forced to leave I think.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Eddie. I have been drunk and pissed with him whilst wactching the Pies, the man is a legend of our club. After watching The Club tonight though I just got the impression that change may be in the air. The article about Alisa Camplin really impressed me, and I think that maybe she could be the next president of the Collingwood FC?
The day she becomes our president is the day we all just give it all away and find other things out of life.

It will be broken at some point in the future. Do we wait until it happens or do we have a plan in place to manage a transition to a new HIGH QUALITY successor.

Why is it that at the Swans managed to have a coaching succession plan that worked, and the Hawks did the same with Kennett as president, but we are incapable of achieving the same. Funny how both of these organisations managed the change and where are they now?

Succession planning is the bread and butter of well run organisations. Waiting for a coach or President to fail before replacing then is just ludicrous. The art is in getting the timing right and process right.

They went backwards before they went forwards again. Sounds similar to us...

Paul Roos left the Swans on his own free will and wasnt forced to abdicate while enjoying the support of the players and the team flying high. John Longmire also did a long apprenticeship under Roos .

Not sure about Kennett arrangement but he too left without being forced to leave I think.

Let's not re-write history here! No one ever forced MM to leave, period. He had a contract and chose not to honour it. If you want to argue semantics that's fine, but no one pushed him out the door!!

I realise your support of MM is borderline fanatical, but honestly we are beyond 5 years since the decision to sign the contract. The best advice anyone can provide is. GET OVER IT!!!

Eddie will retire when his clone has finished being grown in a tank somewhere under the Westpac Centre.

I can't imagine anyone else with the same passion and drive leading the club - the thought of Eddie stepping down depresses me.

I think you will find that in fact it is being grown as a cojoined twin attached to Eddie's left nipple. He hasnt put on weight, he is in fact pregnant with clone.

Great lets just fix something again that is not broken. Changing coaches when on top has backfired dramatically over the last 3 years so why on Earth would we do it with the Presidency?? Ludicrous.

Whilst Eddie mishandled the succession plan by appointing a rookie coach the mans done far more good for the club than bad. He should however make the tough decision regarding the senior coach if we continue to underachieve and thats what im concerned about.
Because it's not about being reactive. It's about being proactive.

This is where the succession plan bashers and their logic breaks down. "If it's not broke, don't fix it" doesn't necessarily work - it's trying to foresee change and act accordingly.

Waiting until things go down the gurgler and then changing the president is a recipe for trouble - as it is, it makes sense for the club to start thinking about Ed's replacement, whether that be in the short or long term.

Great lets just fix something again that is not broken. Changing coaches when on top has backfired dramatically over the last 3 years so why on Earth would we do it with the Presidency?? Ludicrous.

Whilst Eddie mishandled the succession plan by appointing a rookie coach the mans done far more good for the club than bad. He should however make the tough decision regarding the senior coach if we continue to underachieve and thats what im concerned about.

TG's created a lovely little thread where you can debate the succession plan to your hearts content. This thread is to discuss the possible candidates for the president position should Eddie decide not to run again.

Possibly both simulataneoulsy? Like extreme ironing...but with extra sharp bits.

knit one drop one pearl two twist one backflip two.

This is not a time to get flippant. We need to put a succession plan in place in case Eddie is offered a position with manchester united...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My recollection is MM agreed as well.

Whether he agreed or not succession planning and rejuvenation are important parts of modern football clubs and no club should be held hostage by players, coaches and administrators who want to hang on for there own interest.

Alisa is Australia's most successful winter athlete in 2002 she won gold and in 2006 with only being able to train for a couple of months pior to the Olympics as a defending gold medilist she won a bronze medal. One of Australia's greatest sports women. Also she looked to be hurting as much as Eddie was after the Essendon loss which was great to see that passion.

The day she becomes our president is the day we all just give it all away and find other things out of life.
Care to elaborate as to why this is?

An Olympic Gold Medalist who has overcome massive adversity professionally and personally. A senior executive for IBM. A passionate Collingwood supporter and member of the board since 2009. Would hate to lose Eddie, but Alisa would get my vote

Care to elaborate as to why this is?

An Olympic Gold Medalist who has overcome massive adversity professionally and personally. A senior executive for IBM. A passionate Collingwood supporter and member of the board since 2009. Would hate to lose Eddie, but Alisa would get my vote
I'd rather have our president as someone that's been involved with our game since day dot and someone that's watched us since day dot. Eddie is going no where. Stupid thread. I wouldn't want her as our president and I wouldn't be alone in that.

The bloke has overseen our transition from being bent over a barrel with no Vaseline to being a juggernaut of the competition. We should tell the AFL to get f*+ked if they want our $ to prop up the incompetence of others and instead invest it in cryogenically freezing Eddie so we can defrost him if we ever hit the skids again.

I'd rather have our president as someone that's been involved with our game since day dot and someone that's watched us since day dot. Eddie is going no where. Stupid thread. I wouldn't want her as our president and I wouldn't be alone in that.

Not very good reasons. If Eddie weren't here she would be a frontrunner. Whilst Eddie is here, she has no chance.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Eddie. I have been drunk and pissed with him whilst wactching the Pies, the man is a legend of our club. After watching The Club tonight though I just got the impression that change may be in the air. The article about Alisa Camplin really impressed me, and I think that maybe she could be the next president of the Collingwood FC?
Gunna be massive shoes to fill no matter who it is......

How would that make her different to Eddie at the time he took over in 1998?

Nobody could possibly suggest that Camplin's credentials would be less than Eddie's were at the time he took over.