Opinion Ricky Petterd

Remove this Banner Ad

My point is that Cotchin did, from the outset. I don't remember any such threads, perhaps Carlton people but if true that is truly crazy.
I'll dob myself in and say I was sceptical with Cotchin for his first 2 years - I wasn't on Big Footy though. He certainly didn't have the immediate impact that Lids and Martin had. I learned my lesson.

If only I could dig up some threads from a few years ago saying how Cotchin was a mistake and that we should have drafted Kruezer. I'm not saying that Conca is as good as Cotchin but it's hard to show your true talent when you're constantly getting injured.

We couldn't have drafted Kreuzer. He was taken by the Blues at pick 1, Cotchin pick 2.

I'm amazed we won without the great Ricky Petterd.

Shows signs of maturity from our group.
I'm amazed we win at all considering Hardwick had " lost the plot" on Thursday night by picking Thomas.

Ricky Petterd is really showing those who have given him crap. His defensive pressure, tackling and efforts have been first class. Averaging more tackles than any player on our list! And when he goes down forward keep an eye on him and just watch how hard he leads, doubles back, leads, doubles back. Top effort Ricky!

He's fit and it's awesome . If he has half an injury cloud he should play VFL. Sort of like Jake King when he played injured because we were desperate at times but he couldn't execute .pettard is the same and needs to be managed when not fit. Has played awesome games against Port and again tonight . Not bad for a bloke that looks like he's off the Simpsons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigerbob still the same thoughts on Petterd?

He's playing well.

But I'm sorry, if you think Ricky Petterd as a staple in our 22 is a good thing I'm lost.

I will keep on my opinion. The recruiting of Petterd was the start of battler syndrome. That's what he represents to me.

Again too many people blowing fluff about us still in 12th position. Yes, we won and yes its nice. I enjoyed it. A little too much considering I have to go into the office today, but this type of reaction is overboard.

I'm not changing my opinion. Not an AFL player.

We will see when we are a Premiership threat (if ever) if he is part of it.

I will say I commend him on his effort. He's still a battler though.

Even in our premiership years we had journeyman types playing for us (e.g. Robbie McGhie, Mick Malthouse).

Ricky Petterd is that type of player a journeyman type who gives a 100%.

If you are talking about our recruitment strategy then I wholly agree with you too many similar types.

We should be concentrating on recruiting top end junior talent.

Do I think the recruitment of Ricky Petterd has been a success; yes I do as long as his body holds up.

Ricky has flown under the radar, his ability to play just about anywhere has been a great addition to RFC. He is 100% that adds to creating the idea that you don't play in our jumper if your not 100% committed. I don't think this can be underrated on the culture change of our club. We have also seen that players are being kept in the 2nds until they have met certain KPI's (I think Dimma mentioned it in post match Last night). I am all for players being developed in the two's and elevated when they are seen as ready by the coaches. Certainly didn't hurt Milesy. Others have spoken about change of culture as some warm fuzzy concept, the current coaches Dimma etc are putting standards in place to bring this about :thumbsu:. I think Crawf said it best... " That's what I'm talkin about "!!!! :hearts: :footy:

Even in our premiership years we had journeyman types playing for us (e.g. Robbie McGhie, Mick Malthouse).

If you are talking about our recruitment strategy then I wholly agree with you too many similar types.

Do I think the recruitment of Ricky Petterd has been a success; yes I do as long as his body holds up.
Makes me laugh this "he'll never be a premiership player", I'll run some names past everyone:
David Hart
Shane Bond
David Hynes
Ryan Turnbull
Matthew Hogg
Matt Clape
Adrian Whitehead
Glenn Manton
Robert Scott
Glenn Freeborn
Matthew Capuano
Stuart Anderson
Peter Caven
David Pittman
Matthew Connell
Kym Koster
Clay Sampson (remember him!!!!)
Chad Rintoul
Troy Bond
Brett James
Aaron Keating
Shane Ellen
James Thiessen
Chris Heffernan
Paul Barnard
Robert Copeland
Tim Notting
Beau McDonald
Aaron Shattock
Richard Hadley
Matthew Bishop
Josh Mahoney
Toby Thurstans
Roger James
Jarrad Schofield
Jared Crouch
Ben Matthews
Amon Buchanan
Paul Bevan
Nic Fosdike
Michael Braun
Tyson Stenglein
Rowan Jones
Mark Seaby
Steven Armstrong
Sam Butler
Josh Hunt
Shannon Byrnes
Rick Ladson
Mark Williams
Xavier Ellis
Brent Renouf
Robert Campbell
Clinton Young (imagine the stick he'd get at Richmond!)
Mark Blake
Nick Maxwell
Alan Toovey
Sharrod Wellingham
Chris Dawes
Trent West
Martin Mattner
Alex Johnson
Mike Pike
MITCH MORTON!!!!!!!
Max Bailey
Jonathan Simpkin

These are all premiership players from the last twenty years, I have left out plenty as well.
I believe Ricky Petterd is a better player than all of these!

Over the years there has been heaps of spuds become premiership players, so the theory that a certain player wont be in a flag side is hogwash. My own op on Petts is he certainly is AFL standard, and is a borderline best 22 player for us. Certainly better than the bottom 6 of our list. But right now he is definitely best 22.

I stand by my opinion that if we want to move to premiership contender Petterd is the type of player we need to upgrade and evolve from recruiting.

But I will pay credit where it's due, he has earnt his spot in the 22 at the moment and I like his toughness and intensity. Still feel he will be exposed against the very best though.

I stand by my opinion that if we want to move to premiership contender Petterd is the type of player we need to upgrade and evolve from recruiting.

But I will pay credit where it's due, he has earnt his spot in the 22 at the moment and I like his toughness and intensity. Still feel he will be exposed against the very best though.
In the sense that we want to upgrade players I would say Grigg, Morris are the first cabs off the rank.

I don't get the notion that a premiership team is full of stars. Seriously ridiculous thing to say. Every premiership team has role players that give it their absolute all, that's what Ricky P is, and he's a bloody good one at that. I feel better when Ricky is in the team, one of the toughest nuts on our list

I'm all for anyone either liking a player or not , for having an opinion on whether they are any good or not. But it's a bit rich to say a player who has played about 80 games, kicked nearly as many goals and regularly gets it 20 times is not an AFL Standard player.
In fact it's just silly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back