Swann's Song: The Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

What gives you that impression?

I don't notice any member/fan engagement on club business/operations/overall strategy apart from what Steele provides on twitter and the Chairman's very occasional and brief emails. I note with interest that under Swann Blues members were regularly surveyed for opinions on a variety of issues - home ground preference for example - and hope this type of approach is taken here in Brisbane.

I don't notice any member/fan engagement on club business/operations/overall strategy apart from what Steele provides on twitter and the Chairman's very occasional and brief emails. I note with interest that under Swann Blues members were regularly surveyed for opinions on a variety of issues - home ground preference for example - and hope this type of approach is taken here in Brisbane.

I know he'd be saying all the right things on day one, but I didn't mind his CM interview with Greg Davis where he said "It is important we engage with our members and supporters. We’ve got to be accessible and give the supporters what they want."

You'd think that would be a fairly obvious approach, but that sort of stuff has been sadly lacking for us in recent years. Here's hoping he follows through on that.

I know he'd be saying all the right things on day one, but I didn't mind his CM interview with Greg Davis where he said "It is important we engage with our members and supporters. We’ve got to be accessible and give the supporters what they want."

You'd think that would be a fairly obvious approach, but that sort of stuff has been sadly lacking for us in recent years. Here's hoping he follows through on that.

Agree

What I do hope is that supporters give him a bit of time to implement change. There's a lot to do

Agree

What I do hope is that supporters give him a bit of time to implement change. There's a lot to do

Has to wait for an AFL handout as well to make the changes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swann said in his interview that he had talked about our debt to the afl and that they (afl) were going to do something. Retention allowance please afl.

Clearing debt and extra salary cap space are two very different things

Why was Greg Davis nice to meet ?

Because, in my experience at least, he is an all round nice, pleasant and charming bloke.

Although POBT probably said it better.

as a good opening question time with GD. Not huge detail, as Swann wouldnt have much depth to his plans yet, but just touching on the main points.

Liked Swann's answers, seemed to indicate on a few that they were things members were after, which shows he has done some back ground work on the problems with fans/members. I like the onfield focus, I think he knows in SEQ in this market you need to be winning to be relevant. Whilst we dont have lots of cash, talking to the AFL about our debt already I think shows a good understanding of it. And heaps of that is from the social club. It will be the operating losses with lack of crowds and sponsorship that I think he would be addressing with the AFL.

He seems to want to break the image of us as a club needing hand outs. It was only 10 years ago we were a power house. Getting the right people in place will solve heaps, which is something he mentioned as well. Also liked that he doesnt see one issue as more important, everything is linked which it is. Fan communication, on field performance, training facilities, stadium deals all of that does need fixing to get us back up the ladder.

We will need some time as he wont fix these issues one at a time, but I think we will see gradual improvement across the board as things get into place. Off field staff signings will be one thing to watch this off season as a barometer of change being implemented I think. I do hope his first 6 months in the job Swann is good and vocal and keeps us all in the loop. There wont be heaps of news, but members will be keen to hear what is happening.

Swann and Lethal have some pretty awesome contacts between them. It is exciting to have 2 such big figures in the sport at the top. Whilst Lethal isnt chairman, I have no doubt he is a big voice on that board.

Because, in my experience at least, he is an all round nice, pleasant and charming bloke.

Although POBT probably said it better.
If those are swear filter euphemisms.
Whiny, arrogant, dismissive, ignorant campaigner.
Swann probably meant to say "So, you're the sooky, lazy one? I'll keep my eye on you".

Greg is exactly what the doctor ordered for our club. An AFL man, from outside the Brisbane corporate group, who has a very good track record and a very respectable reputation within the AFL organisation. If he does endorse Springfield as our new home, than that will be good enough for me.

One comment that really sparked my interest was where he said that the other AFL clubs certainly took note of Brisbane's player retention issues last year - in other words, the sharks can smell blood and are circling around our club, ready to take a bite out of the dying whale carcass. In some soothing news, he did mention he has good relationships with a lot of player managers, which certainly is another bonus in hiring the man.

This is the first (publicly at least) positive result Sharpless has had a hand in at our club - he needs a lot more to change my opinion of him, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

Greg is exactly what the doctor ordered for our club. An AFL man, from outside the Brisbane corporate group, who has a very good track record and a very respectable reputation within the AFL organisation. If he does endorse Springfield as our new home, than that will be good enough for me.

One comment that really sparked my interest was where he said that the other AFL clubs certainly took note of Brisbane's player retention issues last year - in other words, the sharks can smell blood and are circling around our club, ready to take a bite out of the dying whale carcass. In some soothing news, he did mention he has good relationships with a lot of player managers, which certainly is another bonus in hiring the man.

This is the first (publicly at least) positive result Sharpless has had a hand in at our club - he needs a lot more to change my opinion of him, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.
He had f/a to do with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back