Fitzroy v Old Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I was having a really good week until 2.00 pm Saturday. I preformed my first closed sinus lift on Tuesday and had several patients come in during the week that a dentist could only dream about. My cricket book dealer required a root filling. There is my next few Wisdens paid for. My lawyer came in with a toothache and so I can forget about conveyancing fees for a while. Then my service manager came in and signed up for four implants and a bucket load of dental work. I will not be paying for equipment break downs for years.
The first half of Saturday’s game certainly cast a different shadow over the week. It brought back memories of the first few games last year where we appeared way out of our depth
We waited until the start of the second half for a centre square clearance. I kid you not. Fitzroy did not get a single centre square clearance in the first half. We get beaten in the centre ruck contest as a matter of course but, with Baker Senior out with a broken shoulder and Raca lame, our on-ballers were massacred for a half. It became somewhat farcical just before half time when the Old Carey ruckman did not go into the centre square and our ruckman went up uncontested for the tap out. He palmed it beautifully straight to one of their players!
We did not take a mark inside fifty until the last minute or two of the second quarter. The half time score reflected the above stats: 1 3 to 8 4. Only Matty K was in the game, showing some desire to get to the contest and make a difference.
The second half was a different affair but the game was well and truly over at half time. We threatened briefly in the last quarter until an undisciplined act caused the umpire to reverse his previous decision which cost us one of those ‘two-goal turn arounds’ (goal to them rather than goal to us) but it was all too late.
I must say that Old Carey kicked very well for goal when they had dominance of the game. It was a cold, wet and windy day but they took their opportunities. We did not which was highlighted by Dillan P who took a shot after the half time siren. He rushed the shot in a rather odd way (it went out on the full). I could only assume he needed to go to the loo.
We are now back in the relegation zone as Old Ivanhoe and Old Melbourne had good wins. Daniel Bisetto was away for this match and will be a welcome addition to the team but we simply need our onballers to stand up. We cannot allow the opposition every centre square clearance for a half.
This was a very disappointing result that means we have wasted our good start to the season.

Rich ‘poliglut’ of willing ham performers butter up at luncheon as it’s ‘tempo’ or distemper this September to November

Does Dick Wynne our vote?
“It is all in the presentation and you will not see me twerking,” the local member told us. No casting aspersions on the “Pup” Dick- our Richmond cricketing fraternity might misinterpret you. Some reverse nepotism might work for him after all his nephew young Nick Brown MC of our recent trivia night is an FFC player.

The bloke or should we say smart new age guy who represents the federal seat of Melbourne- the Diaspora that encompasses 6 AFL clubs (one now proudly playing in the VAFA) and who originally hails from Adelaide tells us that he supports Fremantle? Should Adam be banned (or damned)? Does the dinkies, shrinkies, reds & pinkies, maroons & blues, lefties, shifties, shafties, wedgies, sledgies, inkies , teachies, peachies, beachies, old guard, new guard, mudguard and disregard nature of his electorate allow such wishy washy thinking to cut through their football allegiance?

We heard from a “Gully” boy who originally won his electorate by a handful of votes and subsequently turned it into a safe seat. He told us his resilience came from early experience when he was alone and targeted as a Dandy North youngster when he wore his Fitzroy jumper to school on footy day. A background in industrial relations was not a door way to union factionalism for Nick Wakeling – but does he also have a caring eye for the worker as well as the boss? His present portfolio as Minister for Higher Education and Skills will tell the tale of the tape in time.

We had a Carlton leg-end regale us. When my third son was five years old (long ago) he used Justin Madden’s legs as a maypole, dancing joyfully around them at Carlton’s last premiership victory celebration, at Princes Park. JM’s renowned joviality then as now underscores his attitude to both football and life in politics. The gathered coterie laughed so hard at his jokes and anecdotes that he did not want to stop. His third quarter in football, historically, was usually his best; lets wish him so in life after politics.

A neater roping of such political talent by our club Director at her table would be hard to match and was certainly a coup; but remember she married intelligence with experience and that counts when hubby is a former Victorian State Treasurer. The gathering of funds for the club is growing apace as those press ganged by Anita at the guest tables found last Saturday.

Which brings me to the other game.

The Royboys coaching staff knew they had early issues with both Baker boys out injured. When our rising star Nick Marshall was body slammed at the 14 minute 25 second mark of the first quarter the heartache escalated for them. The potential injury to Nick would have been sufficient to dent the thinking of coaches and fellow teammates alike. Fortunately quick action from trainers including James Muling of Old Carey ensured Nick got early and appropriate care. The languid wave to his Mum in the grandstand who took him to hospital was a heartbreaker for her and his many fans in the packed stand.

It got worse. By half time we no longer had Max Allen who has been another prime mover in the team all year. At three quarter time our coach in his well considered manner advised the group that we possibly had one player who could change onto the ground in a pinch.

In light of this the game by our boys showed gritty positives. Our CoCa’s third quarter in which Rory and the Wolf collected twenty possessions between them and VC DPP prosecuted his VAFA State Representative and opposing captain opponent, Cam Howat, to the max was indicative of what must have been said to them by our own ‘MP’ at half time. We won the second half we lost the second quarter when two Wills stood cold, pallid and drear on a flatline full forward line for seventeen minutes; compounded when the Wolf went to the lair until the 20 minute mark.

I predicted last Thursday night that we would win the next 6 games. Injury thwarts optimism every time but these boys have resilience and a real football Green (Al) is still to return; mixed with a liberal coating of talent and a willingness for hard labour in their ethic to win there is no cause for panic. Stick with them and the grandstand will roar by August 24.

Go Roys!
P.S. And the votes: 1.Vote - C. Little (say much), on his own admission former AG bovver boy bumper bar, Poli debate Moderator and former Fitzroy Presi.
2. Votes -All the mentioned and unmentioned Pollies for having the football smarts to turn up.
3. Votes -Always for the fool on the (Princes) Hille-because no one gets a get together, so together better. Well done Peter!

6,6,6, the devil’s number or our goals totals for three weeks running?

A backline that holds the opposition to 6 goals or less has done a brilliant job; well done all our boys in defence (Al Green, the Toms-Biscaro and Cheshire, Max Ellis, Josh Munro, Gary McCarthy et alia). Credit is due also to Caulfield’s defence.

Our midfield players were working hard and supported the defenders all day.

Our last multiple goalkicker (2) was Jack Dalton(#26) against Uni Blues. It seems he is so embarrassed that this was not in keeping with current Fitzroy scoring practice that he has kicked 6 behinds and one out of bounds with his last seven (mostly) set shots over the last two weeks. Jack’s endeavour is undoubted his courage a given. His current profligacy in front of goal is haunting and reminiscent of Lindsay Thomas of North Melbourne a season or two ago. Jack follows the Roos in the alternative league; please get back to your Brett Allison accuracy soon Jack!

Our third quarter, in which our tall forwards especially saved more ink on the stats sheet than did the striking Age newspaper workers last week, was abysmal.

The final quarter saw a determination by the whole team that their ascendancy in general play be finally reflected on the scoreboard.

Corbin Stevic and Matt Brown amongst others lifted . Corbin with most every one of his five final quarter kicks went long into attack and direct to goal. One of these kicks, a result of a hard pack fought hand ball receive from ‘Wild Bill’ Pickering, himself besieged by opposition players, was shepherded through by the ‘Wolf’, on the goal line, stretching every sinew and holding every nerve he had to prevent his taller opponent getting a touch on the ball.

The highlight of the game was the sequence of events that led to the sealer being kicked. It began at the 20 min 10 sec mark of the final quarter when a free kick was paid to Julian Turner. Julian hasn’t been quite on song since his ‘all guts’ body clash and chest mark against Uni Blues Captain Jack Watts two weeks ago. Julian’s first quarter saw him fail to get any oomph on the ball to put it through off the ground from 2 metres out; (as his own best critic he would tell you he should have used his right foot). Shortly after that attempt a lackadaisical kick for goal was smothered off his boot.

His moment in the game, however, had now come as it had for others in this pageant play.

Free kick, ball in hand off to his right an opposition player came at Dylan “ I get knocked down but I get up again” Patcas .The opposition player learnt the meaning of the old saying “don’t poke a stick at a beehive”. The swarm of Wolf , DPP and JD came with temperate words of wisdom after the umpire paid the appropriate 25 metre penalty bringing Julian closer to goal. His delicate left foot pass bisected left and right spoilers and landed on target of the chest of Wolf. Marking his spot in the water drenched mud and turning he saw Tom “B52” Biscaro seeking clearance for take off ; a cunning glance and the Co Cap gave the handball . The Big fella knew his mission, he artfully dodged incoming from 2 o’clock high and smothering hands from 9 o’clock low. He released the bomb that sailed through the goal sticks post high and enlivened every Roy supporter at the ground.

His no thank you for the rabbit to the Co Cap, finger twirl as he watched the ball go through, how’s your father salute to the opposition and goal umpires two digit imitation to supporters behind the goal was the sort of theatre and reason we love football. All over in the space of 90 seconds. The rest of the game was an epilogue.

Fellow reporter Phil is in Europe I was told after match by his cousin opposing coach for Caulfield Grammarians and Xavier legend Tim O’Shaughnessy. Well done all for an intriguing match.

Onto Central Reserve where we must continue the consolidation against old foes Mazenod.

Go Roys.

Seven or fold; what is your dream to be?
A dream that came to me when old
I dreamt I saw them win sevenfold
standing there both proud and bold
wearing colours red and gold

Was it but fancy thoughts and free
or did I really ,really see
twenty two warriors that fought for we
fighting furious, fighting free
from defeat’s unhappy lock and key

A President standing short but tall
as every boy pursues that ball
of gold and red a haze it be
are they becoached by Michael P?

The naysayers say the season’s done
but who amongst those that stand ‘til fading sun
could see the gold & red I dream
irresistibly home like a machine
Since ’44 it’s seventy;
Will these boys set old timers dreams forever free?

I dreamt I saw them win sevenfold
Rory ,Will and Ross the bold
all red and gold they be
Matty, Dyl, Maxes, Jacks, Toms and Palmieri;
carving their names in history

Oh happy ; happy be; to be on team Fitzroy
to play forever more as a boy
in raised cups and hearty cheers
to live beyond your allotted years

“That crew of ’14 was a handy side
done at round 14 they turned the tide
Canute be damned for in my narcolepsy I did see
the boys that year win sevenfold”

“My old man saw it and conveyed to me
The deeds of Marshall-Dalton –Lee
he told of colours Brown and Green
he spruiked the guile of Cussen keen
and the steady will of Johnson, Bakes & Julian”

I hope when cold winds blow above my bones
upon the many ,many stones
a slice of Roys will comfort me
for in ’14 those royboys I did see
yes I did see………………………………….(Alarm clock rings)

Please don’t tell him he’s dreamin’. I can’t shoot horses Wellsy! ; t’would be a sin.

On to BSO and lay waste St Kevins.

Go Roys!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back