Tapatalk - To be removed between now and the end of Trade Period 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I guess we still have to wait for that.
There won't be any revolutionary changes to the new mobile site. Tweaks and the like will happen, but what you're looking at is basically how it will stay.

What are your main issues?

I'm assuming that with the recent update to the mobile site, and the lack of communication, that there is no plan at all to allow Tapatalk access back to those who don't want to pay $20/yr? If so, that's a shame - just means that there will be less time of BF.

There won't be any revolutionary changes to the new mobile site. Tweaks and the like will happen, but what you're looking at is basically how it will stay.

What are your main issues?
My main issue is how much data it chews, it's the one constant advertisement that keeps changing at the bottom of the screen that is the killer. I do understand you need to have advertisements to run this site and make it profitable and I have no issues with that but most peoples mobile phone plans would be between 1-2gb. If the advertisements were between every 4-5 posts (like you currently have) and just a standard picture that would be great. The ones that constantly change and the main one(bottom of screen) that always flicks threw ADS is chewing up data.
For me as example as a Tradie(no PC access) I use to always checked the forums during smoko and lunch on my mobile, now I do not because I know by the end of the month I'll be pushing my cap. I would not be alone in this, others with similar circumstances with only having a mobile phone as their only internet access during the day would be having the same issues.

The fixed ad is, for me, exclusively text. Do you get images and animations?

This new theme is undoubtedly lighter than the full site so I am not sure that bf is the source of your data usage.

The fixed ad is, for me, exclusively text. Do you get images and animations?

This new theme is undoubtedly lighter than the full site so I am not sure that bf is the source of your data usage.
When I'm not using my phone I manually turn off data every time so I don't get any surprises. I have 2.5g and now I have to be very cautious of data, since I have been unable to use TT.

OK - it is probably more data compared to Tapatalk, but I wouldn't imagine too much more.

You've seen the new mobile version? http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/posts/34182376/
I have seen the new/upgraded mobile version, moving around the site is a breeze and you guys did a good job in that department. It's the advertisements that are always in motion that chews up data, I'll give this new mobile version a fresh new month and I'll get back to you on how much it uses the data. I'll also try and find an app to monitor it.

I have seen the new/upgraded mobile version, moving around the site is a breeze and you guys did a good job in that department. It's the advertisements that are always in motion that chews up data, I'll give this new mobile version a fresh new month and I'll get back to you on how much it uses the data. I'll also try and find an app to monitor it.

I have the same issue, and they way i've combated it is to continue to navigate around the site using Tapatalk, just not logged in. If you don't log in you can still read forums etc, you just can't post, see your notifications or like posts. Then if I see something I want to reply to, I just click web view and post using the mobile site, before going back to tapatalk to browse.

It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.

I have the same issue, and they way i've combated it is to continue to navigate around the site using Tapatalk, just not logged in. If you don't log in you can still read forums etc, you just can't post, see your notifications or like posts. Then if I see something I want to reply to, I just click web view and post using the mobile site, before going back to tapatalk to browse.

It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.
I am surprised you can navigate around without being in one of the user groups that allows Tapatalk use. I wouldn't rely on this method.

I am surprised you can navigate around without being in one of the user groups that allows Tapatalk use. I wouldn't rely on this method.

I can just view the forums via tapatalk like someone without an account could view the forums before creating an account. I'll keep using it until it stops working, for the same reasons that HirdyLannister mentioned. I probably spend about half the time on tapatalk and half on the mobile site, given I have to use the mobile site for notifications etc.

Have you recently moved to an iPhone 5?

When I moved I started using up tons more data.

The Optus shop guy said "yeah it happens on iPhone 5" and gave no reasons and offered no advice other than to shut off mobile data for a bunch of apps and call their support line.

Ads generally only contribute around 60KB per page impression. Every page is probably around 250KB on average. If you mobile browser is having trouble caching stuff, eg javascript, you can ad on another 200KB.

You'd have to have around 1500 page impressions for ads to clock up 100MB of data. Considering that average page impression time is about 1 minute, that would represent around 25 hours.

Or you could blow that 100MB in a relatively short youtube video, or 50 animated gifs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been doing this as well - we have been able to view the forum on Tapatalk (since it became necessary to pay money to access), but you can't log in. I was kind of hoping this would go under the radar because it's a far more serviceable option than an HTML site, and I don't want it taken away!

I dunno if it was something you guys did, or something tapatalk did. But who ever made it so read notifications (alerts) stay read when going from tapatalk to the browser is a legend and deserve a raise.

JB explains a few things here:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...-available-maybe.1062837/page-8#post-34191130

I find myself on reddit.com/r/AFL a lot more now that I can't access BigFooty through Tapatalk.
Ha, me too.

So what is the status of Tapatalk now? Does it work reliably with Gold/Platinum BF membership and will it stay this way?

Admin posts seem to suggest that Taptalk access isn't guaranteed in the future. I know Tapatalk takes some admin work, and cuts into ad revenue, so I can understand if it's a paid feature; I just don't want to pay and find it stops working.

Ha, me too.

So what is the status of Tapatalk now? Does it work reliably with Gold/Platinum BF membership and will it stay this way?

Admin posts seem to suggest that Taptalk access isn't guaranteed in the future. I know Tapatalk takes some admin work, and cuts into ad revenue, so I can understand if it's a paid feature; I just don't want to pay and find it stops working.

It seems Tapatalk as a feature is just being used to entice more paid members. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but at the end of the day I ain't paying and it just means I'm on this site way less.

Really dislike the website UI and definitely won't be using that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back