Senior Darcy Gardiner (2013-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Strong chance for a Rising Star nomination this week

Very little competition really, but they might give it to Menzel for a run of solid games.

Definitely Darcy's best game for us though, love his aggressiveness

Dare I say it but I think we have found one here. His disposal will clean up with time and there is always the Glass comparison but I'm going to go one better and say Scarlett. Go son!

Gets under their skin and in their face. Nobody is going to like taking that from a rookie. Will be a seriously hard nut when he grows up but will probably incur the wrath of the umps a bit too.

Two more Lion cubs resist 'go home' factor and re-sign

THE BRISBANE Lions have re-signed first year sensation Lewis Taylor.

AFL.com.au understands the deal was inked on Thursday night and will tie the 19-year-old to the club until at least the end of 2016.

Fellow first-year player Darcy Gardiner has also signed a one-year extension, keeping him a Lion until the end of 2016 as well.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-01/lion-cubs-refuse-to-go-home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my favourite of this years bunch of rookies, love the way he gets under the skin of players much older and bigger than him and also has the talent! great pick at 22

Excellent news. Only one year deals, but we shouldnt read into that.

Yeah I read nothing into that when you are xtended a contract that still has over a year existing still to run.

This bloke has amazed me how he has been able to step into senior footy with no preseason and look at right at home in his first year. Has done some fantastic jobs on talls and smalls and I feel his offensive game will develop as he gains more confidence in his own ability along with his teammates'. TBH I am just as excited about this kid as Aish, Taylor or Mayes because of what he offers our structure and the intangibles he brings!

I recently called him our most overtly competitive defender since the Scott brothers. I also reckon he's our most instinctive defender in many years. He's already doing things that guys like Patfull and Adcock took a few years to pick up. His body positioning is first class, he knows where the ball is when he's in a contest and he just never gives up. As a pure defender, he is going to be simply exceptional.

What is Darcy's actual height? I have read reports that he is anywhere between 191-194cm. The lions.com.au list him as 191 but the site is sometimes inaccurate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back